Saturday June 25 Good Eats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good looking pie. Care to share your recipe?
Pretty basic recipe. 3 cups warm water, 1 1/4 tblsp yeast. 2 tblsp olive oil, 1tsp sugar. When the yeast is dissolved and foamy I add about 1 tsp salt and start to add flour until I get a ball and knead it by hand for about 10 minutes, adding flour so the dough doesn't stick to my hands or the bowl. That gets me about 5 lbs of dough. I ball up 4 1 lb balls and freeze immediately. Let the other ball sit for a couple of hours then roll it out into a 16 inch shell.

The sauce is easy. I usually use a generic, plain tomato sauce like Hunt's. Then I add a bit of dried oregano and basil and the rest of the ingredients. Bake for about 12 minutes at 500, which is as high as my gas range goes.

Pretty basic recipe. 3 cups warm water, 1 1/4 tblsp yeast. 2 tblsp olive oil, 1tsp sugar. When the yeast is dissolved and foamy I add about 1 tsp salt and start to add flour until I get a ball and knead it by hand for about 10 minutes, adding flour so the dough doesn't stick to my hands or the bowl. That gets me about 5 lbs of dough. I ball up 4 1 lb balls and freeze immediately. Let the other ball sit for a couple of hours then roll it out into a 16 inch shell.

The sauce is easy. I usually use a generic, plain tomato sauce like Hunt's. Then I add a bit of dried oregano and basil and the rest of the ingredients. Bake for about 12 minutes at 500, which is as high as my gas range goes.
Thank you. A 42% hydration rate 24 oz. water / 56oz. flour sounds like a stiff dough. What kind of flour do you use?

Last edited:
Thank you. A 42% hydration rate 24 oz. water / 56oz. flour sounds like a stiff dough. What kind of flour do you use?
I use regular all purpose flour. I couldn't tell you how much flour I use. I just add until it feels right. I am fairly old school. I measure by eye and feel. My dough has a crispy crust with a nice moist inside. Holds up well to just about any amount of ingredients you lay on there. Years of owning a restuarant will do that to you. Never had a complaint yet.:LOL:

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
The dog I was dog sitting escaped from the yard--I spent most of the day looking for her--the neighbor had her. But, I called the DH and asked him to come out today instead of tomorrow. So, once everything was sorted with Nakita, we had breaded pork chops, Laura Chalder's b'sprouts http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/French-Food-at-Home/recipe.html?dishID=8372&titleid=105739(added maple syrup), leftover quinoa salad with feta and cherry tomatoes on top, and strawberries, greek yogurt, maple syrup for dessert.

Attachments

• breaded pork chops 004.jpg
    breaded pork chops 004.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Nice looking pizza Rock!

YUM! CWS! I love breaded pork chops and those look wonderful!

I grilled the wings that I didn't get to do last night.

Attachments

• dinner06252011.jpg
    dinner06252011.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 171
I hadn't made breaded pork chops since I don't remember when... but this seemed to be the thing to do with the boneless chops I had pulled out for tomorrow. I "pounded them" to make them thinner, then I dredged them in whole wheat flour to which I added ground mustard, pepper, and sage...then egg with a bit of water, and then some seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs to which I added more mustard, pepper, sage, and parsley(the crumbs were from the bread I made Tuesday). I cooked the chops in a bit of EVOO on medium for about 20 minutes (turning them 1/2 way through). The brussel sprouts took more time to get ready. I'm FULL.

Last edited:
Everything sounds so good! We went to a cookout tonight. Frank had a hamburger that was grilled. I had a piece of BBQ chicken. Lots of salads and fruits. It was a nice evening.

I got some marinaded mozzarella at Costco with some Capriese tomatoes to share. It seemed to go over well. I may have found a new "OMG, I forgot to make something to take" dish. :)

~Kathleen

i made a cheese, green,yellow, and red pepper omelet, used cheddar cheese. was good with half of a bagel.

went to temecula to see my daughter and granddaughter's new dog grooming business, i was very impressed. my son drove me and we took his fluffy white dog to be groomed. i was very tired when we got back, so lazed around and made a simple dinner.

I ended up getting back late and headed straight to see Dad, so I had supper with him - Chicken strips and gravy from Dairy Queen because I was getting Dad a hot fudge sundae for his dessert. Of course I had to sneak it into the freezer so the nurses wouldn't see it and then take it into his room after the meal - the blood sugar police would have been all over me! :LOL: But Dad loved it....a lot more than I did my chicken strips and fries, sadly.

lol, good for you lp. i'm glad you're helping your dad to "live", not just keep on existing.

if i had to say that i had regrets in my life, 3 of the biggest ones would be concerning food with my "adopted" italian grandfather (my first gf's grandfather whom i became very close so i adopted him since my own grands had passed before i was born), and my parents in law.

in his last years, grandpa louis asked me to sneak him some locatelli, prosciutto, and sabrett hot dogs. his granddaughter found out and forbade me from getting it to him, throwing out the apparently poorly hidden package on the way to the airport more than once.

next, my fil asked me many times to stop working on his house, yard, and garden (all were in disrepair since he was sick) and come down to the vfw for a beer. i never did.

and finally, my mil sneaked deliveries of chinese and italian takeout when i would take dw out when we were dating. lol, she had it timed out so well that sometimes i would see the delivery truck in my rear view mirror as we were pulling away from the house.
dw found out that i knew about many of these times and made me swear to tell her from then on.

they all passed eventually, so i deeply regret not helping them to lead their lives as they wished, with small treats to enjoy along the way.

so, kudos lp. you're a good daughter to care so much, and give him those little things that mean so much.

Thanks, Bucky, that means a lot. When he started coughing later I wondered if I had really done him a favour. But my Dad has had a long life and I know how much a small sundae means to him. He was truly grateful and lapped it up like it was gold. I think he actually enjoys it more knowing he shouldn't have it!

But don't beat yourself up. You did what you could and I am sure they knew it. And remember, I am the daughter here - in your cases you were "caught" by the daughter/granddaughter who were just protecting their elders the best way they knew how. You just wait for the day when your son sneaks you that sundae (or whatever the contraband) and you will know that your kinds ways have been passed down.

Everything sounds so good! We went to a cookout tonight. Frank had a hamburger that was grilled. I had a piece of BBQ chicken. Lots of salads and fruits. It was a nice evening.

I got some marinaded mozzarella at Costco with some Capriese tomatoes to share. It seemed to go over well. I may have found a new "OMG, I forgot to make something to take" dish. :)

~Kathleen
Sometimes those are the best kind!

I use regular all purpose flour. I couldn't tell you how much flour I use. I just add until it feels right. I am fairly old school. I measure by eye and feel. My dough has a crispy crust with a nice moist inside. Holds up well to just about any amount of ingredients you lay on there. Years of owning a restuarant will do that to you. Never had a complaint yet.:LOL:
I made a pizza that looked similar to that awhile ago.

img_1016518_0_f87fa1a962599b4db1b6a1db3ede0dcc.jpg

Mark had leftovers from the beef/rice soup. I made a vegie sandwich.. I'll post a picture later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom