Saturday March 7, What's for Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I am planning on making a corn bread tamale pie, recipe from the early 1970's version of Joy of Cooking...the latest cookbook has a quite different rendition...and am off to the garden to see if I can pick the first of the season spinach salad..

What are you fixin'?

I'm planning on scalloped potatoes and ham casserole with green beans for supper and tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch.

We're going to a friend's house for wings on the grill, YUM. I am going to bring a goat cheese/salsa bake for an appetizer and oatmeal carmelitas.

OMG, rockfish is wonderful! It is a deep water, cold water fish. Very firm, white flesh. The water is too warm here in Panamá for that species of fish. (The Pacific) Darn.

We are going to an open house at the Golf Club Hotel tonight. I am bringing Southern Fried Chicken in case they don't have anything good to eat. No, it's not KFC, but just a good old fashioned SFC.

I have on a pot of fresh mustard greens/with some bacon ends...Later I'll add some fresh Turnip Roots --- A skillet of Cornbread is a gimme...What else? ...We'll see.

Didn't get around to the chicken last night, so I'm considering fried chicken. Have some buttermilk and might marinate it in that for a while. We'll see. It's a beautiful day here and may change my mind when mealtime rolls around.

What? I thought crawdad season started in November? That is when the Dungeness crab season starts in California. What is up with that? I love mud bugs. They are the absolute BEST.

Finally decided. I have my chicken marinating in fresh lemon juice, Worcestershire, molasses and garlic. I'll bake it later and have haricot verts and couscous with it. Don't really have anything for dessert and my sweet tooth isn't yelling, so I'll forget about dessert today.

Marty....

They are available in November...but for me are cost prohibitive...February, March, and April I think are the peak months for the pond raised...Prices decline, size improves etc. Then afterwards the Basin catch starts up....I've heard the season got off to a slow start so it will be (for me) mid March or later before I even look at prices...Vendors who venture in to my area are always very high....The only option is to drive. I've also heard the crop may not be as good as last year, so that will keep prices up...We'll see how it washes out....

We're moving this week, so I'm trying to clean out the freezer. I'm having the neighbors over tonight to help in that endeavor.

Salad of butter lettuce with pears, beets, candied walnuts, gorgonzola & balsamic vinaigrette
Salmon on a cedar plank with a maple/bourbon/ginger/soy marinade
Rice with almonds, raisins, scallions
Creme Brulee

I'm using up the lettuce, beets, pears, eggs, salmon, cheese, ginger, almonds, and cream, and hopefully draining the torch of butane.

Let's hope I can get rid of as much stuff on Sunday before the movers come.

Back
Top Bottom