Saturday Night's All Right (for eating) Sept. 28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doing? Tonight I'll sink a little drink and shout out, she's with me!
Then after I do that I'm going to grill some stuffed mushrooms. :cool:

I'm going with fish taco's (thanks, powerplantop!) My family is very excited. I don't usually deep fry but they looked sooooo good!. I've also got gazpacho. I was going to make a peach cobbler but after sampling one they need another day to ripen and sweeten up. I have some cookies we can crumble over vanilla ice cream instead.

Stirling grilled the rest of the sausages he bought in Cornwall, so they wouldn't go off. Put 'em on a serving plate and nuked the last of the corn on the cob and the rest of the baby 'taters. I'm stuffed. Some of the sausages that got grilled are going in the freezer and the rest are going in the "snack drawer" in the fridge.

Bowl of cereal, I've swapped lunch for dinner. We had CWS's Grandma's Swedish Meatballs for lunch over egg noodles, very good. A keeper recipe.

We found a butcher that can make Kassler (smoked pork loin) just like in the area of the Black Forest where Mrs Dawg is from.

Sooo.... we had Kassler with Sauerkraut and pan fried potatoes. Just like back home as Mrs Dawg says.

img_1304621_0_497504cf818f4cc5e1eb5221728bd569.jpg

We found a butcher that can make Kassler (smoked pork loin) just like in the area of the Black Forest where Mrs Dawg is from.

Sooo.... we had Kassler with Sauerkraut and pan fried potatoes. Just like back home as Mrs Dawg says.

img_1304624_0_497504cf818f4cc5e1eb5221728bd569.jpg
Thank you for the German word for this. It's used a lot in Denmark, where it's called "hamburgerryg". That means Hamburger back. I guess the Danes learned it from Germans from Hamburg.

So, is your butcher German? Is it a German butcher shop? I've been looking for a source for years. I even considered trying to make it myself. I lurk occasionally on a Danish grilling forum and they do lots of cold smoking there, so I could find a recipe and instructions.

Does that ever get served with a mustard sauce?

Thank you for the German word for this. It's used a lot in Denmark, where it's called "hamburgerryg". That means Hamburger back. I guess the Danes learned it from Germans from Hamburg.

So, is your butcher German? Is it a German butcher shop? I've been looking for a source for years. I even considered trying to make it myself. I lurk occasionally on a Danish grilling forum and they do lots of cold smoking there, so I could find a recipe and instructions.

Does that ever get served with a mustard sauce?

Yes the butcher is from Germany, just outside of Dusseldorf. His wife is Dutch from around Arnhem. Their meats are the closest we have found to actually shopping in Germany.

http://ontariomeatandpoultry.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/HoffmanMeats_MayJune-2011.pdf

Served with mustard sauce?? I love it, but my family is from the Dortmund area where it is a normal accompaniment. Mrs Dawg is from the Black Forest where mustard would be frowned upon with Kassler.

Last edited:
I took a small amount of left over chilli from the freezer.

I boiled and then baked a red potato.

I combined the two, with grated cheese, sour cream and sliced spring onions.

A glass of dry white wine completed a very nice meal. :)

We went out to dinner with friends. We shared a flatbread made with three types of mushrooms, goat, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and scallions. I had loin lamb chops with a balsamic vinegar sauce, garlic mashed yukon golds and roasted asparagus with a red zinfandel. Dessert was back at our friends home.

Yes the butcher is from Germany, just outside of Dusseldorf. His wife is Dutch from around Arnhem. Their meats are the closest we have found to actually shopping in Germany.

http://ontariomeatandpoultry.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/HoffmanMeats_MayJune-2011.pdf

Served with mustard sauce?? I love it, but my family is from the Dortmund area where it is a normal accompaniment. Mrs Dawg is from the Black Forest where mustard would be frowned upon with Kassler.
Danes don't always use mustard sauce. ;)

I used Google maps. According to the directions from my house, it would take 6 hours and 10 minutes to drive to Hoffman's. :rolleyes: I guess I'll ask on Chowhound if anyone knows of a good German butcher in Greater Montreal

Ever since the thread about scalloped potatoes got started I've had a hankering to use the leftover ham for a cheesy ham and potato bake. Made two pans, then promptly wrapped and froze one while the second was baking. Had it with salad. Still have just enough ham for either bean soup or hoppin' john next week.

It was the last of the leftovers for dinner last night. SO had chicken and veggies and I had last of the calzone and a salad. Ready for the week and new leftovers now. ;)

Bowl of cereal, I've swapped lunch for dinner. We had CWS's Grandma's Swedish Meatballs for lunch over egg noodles, very good. A keeper recipe.
+1. Glad you liked them. Whenever I make them, I'm taken back to duck hunting season and time spent with my cousins and grandparents. The smell of peat bogs burning does the same thing :).

+1. Glad you liked them. Whenever I make them, I'm taken back to duck hunting season and time spent with my cousins and grandparents. The smell of peat bogs burning does the same thing :).

They are what's for lunch again today!:pig:

Pork shoulder slices... is that what might be called pork steaks, or do you mean something thinner, GG?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom