"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Drove over to the west coast (Florida) for one if our granddaughter's birthday. Had a late lunch, so hotdogs for dinner when we got home.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...I took out the rice vinegar from the back of my cabinet and it had turned dark brown. Can anyone tell me what happened to it? I am very leery of using it. It is just sitting on the counter waiting for an answer.
Rice vinegar is less acidic than cider or distilled white vinegar. It's oxidized, but may still taste ok. The only way to know is to taste it (trust me, it may not taste the best but will NOT kill you). I would be willing to bet there's a mother culture growing in the bottom of the bottle.

Lighter salad and gourmet vinegars are usually best kept in the fridge.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Rice vinegar is less acidic than cider or distilled white vinegar. It's oxidized, but may still taste ok. The only way to know is to taste it (trust me, it may not taste the best but will NOT kill you). I would be willing to bet there's a mother culture growing in the bottom of the bottle.

Lighter salad and gourmet vinegars are usually best kept in the fridge.
Now you tell me. Mine has been sitting on the shelf for at least a couple of years. Now I know. Thanks for the infomation. Another fact I learned today along with "Rice vinegar contains no batteries."
Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

We were invited to a get-together at our civic league's president's house to get to know others on the board, and their spouses/SOs and/or children socially; we usually just talk business at the board meetings. It was a lot of fun. We were asked to bring an appetizer and dessert, so I made tzatziki with cucumber, garlic, dill and mint from the garden and served it with homemade seasoned pita chips and a variety of fresh veggie sticks, and made Mexican chocolate cookies for dessert. Two chefs were there and they both approved!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We were invited to a get-together at our civic league's president's house to get to know others on the board, and their spouses/SOs and/or children socially; we usually just talk business at the board meetings. It was a lot of fun. We were asked to bring an appetizer and dessert, so I made tzatziki with cucumber, garlic, dill and mint from the garden and served it with homemade seasoned pita chips and a variety of fresh veggie sticks, and made Mexican chocolate cookies for dessert. Two chefs were there and they both approved!
Nothing better than an endorsement than the approval of a pro chef. Good for you!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #26
Head Chef

Smile

I had one of my fav recipe dishes...duck confit (not quite the standard fatty method but very tasty!)

I marinaded the 4 legs overnight with garlic, torn bay leaves, some salt (rubbed into the fatty parts) and some fresh thyme.

Today slowly simmered in a little wine for 2 hours (adding new potatoes towards the end).

I had 2 legs this evening. The other 2 legs are for tomorrow...to be crisped up in the oven along with potato wedges and kale.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #27
Senior Cook

We had a get-together with dear friends, all great home-cooks in their own right. Appetizers: oven baked breaded pickles, spinach/artichoke/tomato spread on French bread. Beverages: Margueritas, wine, sweet tea. Entrees: Barbecued salmon filets covered with home-made basil pesto, Spaetzel, and broccoli salad. Dessert: Vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries. An eclectic mixture but oh-so gooooooood.

Tags
eating