Saturday Night's Alright for Eating! Aug 9, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Mrs. K texted me a rather strange request while I was at the farmer's market this morning: "Can we have shrimp & grits tonight?"

Now I've only made shrimp and grits once, and that was maybe a couple of years ago. So when I got home I asked where this request had come from. Apparently, while she was in New York City last week, one of her co-workers ordered it at a restaurant, and she thought it looked very good. So good, in fact, that she's been secretly craving it all week.

So shrimp and grits it shall be. :)

Last edited:
Sounds good, Steve.

I am planning grilled steak for TB and grilled turkey cutlet for me. I will do some potatoes, mushrooms and onions in the grill basket and salad on the side.

Actually I will probably cut my turkey up and put it in my salad as it goes down easier that way. I think I will have Ceasar and make Greek for TB.

We're going to have my version of Swiss steak with mashed potatoes. I've already cut all the vegetable for the steak and peeled and cubed the potatoes. Tea is made and chilling and there are plenty of root beer cookies for dessert.

Last edited:
I just put a still partially frozen ham in the oven. I'll make macaroni and cheese and broccoli to go with.

I'm SOOOOO happy

Back in May DH & I went back East to mind the grand-nephews and their puppy (I use that term loosely). Well, puppy took Auntie for a walk, face first, along the concrete sidewalk.... 2 black eyes, a broken nose, a sprained wrist and shoulder and a split lip ... I haven't been able to eat some foods, so my absolutely fabulous husband took me to Five Guys Burgers and Fries for early lunch.
five guys.jpg
I'm a thinking that I'm so full that we may not need dinner :ohmy: WHAT?! No! We'll probably just have a small salad with some leftover grilled chicken in it.

I'm marinating some chicken. It's a "tandoori" marinade. We will grill it. I'm figuring out sides, but probably a salad and brown basmati rice.

Spaghetti with tomato sauce, chickpeas and Italian sausage.
Last nights leftover lime and garlic butter sauce with sauteed apple.

save some for me :yum:
only wish I could find luau leaves here in the middle of the desert my sistah (mahalos for the aloha btw, kailua you say?) I'd be making squid luau, one of my favorite dishes
View attachment 21649

I LOVE squid luau to but I have squid anxiety.:LOL:
I just don't know how to go about cleaning and so forth. One of these days I will have to get over it.

You might want to take a look at this Steve. I love shrimp n grits..
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/kayelles-shrimp-and-glorified-grits-82632.html

I'm going to be making your outstanding Gyro's for dinner tonight.

Ohhh.... I wish I had seen your post before I started dinner. I just kind of winged it, but it came out good. Lots of cheese. Lots of bacon. :yum:

Glad you enjoy the gyros. I was thinking of having those Thursday.

img_1379738_0_7902af5ef056ed711c7075e5fdedbb8b.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Steve, everything is better with bacon. :yum: Those shrimp 'n grits look good.

K-girl, you and mmyap need to coordinate a banana leaf shipment from HI to AZ!

Nice char on the chicken taxy!

Our dinner was ho-hum. I did food running around, was running late, and grabbed a rising dough frozen pizza from the case at Aldis to see if it was edible. I also wanted to try out the "Frozen Pizza Seasoning" that was a freebie on a recent Penzeys outing. I did add some extra toppings, but not much at all. Surprisingly, it was pretty good! Even without the extra toppings it certainly was worth every $3.29 I spent! Certainly not going to be something I plan on buying, but if I'm in a pinch for time and my last stop is Aldis I'd go ahead and get it again.

No real meal tonight. I've felt crappy all day and had no appetite. SO had lunch with two girl friends at Bahama Breeze and brought home some leftovers. Around 8:30 tonight munched on those leftovers and had some milk and cookies.

I had planned on Italian sausages with sautéed onions. Seasoned rice for a side. I had the tomatoes already sliced along with the cucumbers. I was going to serve them with rice vinegar and olive oil. I took out the rice vinegar from the back of my cabinet and it had turned dark brown. Can anyone tell me what happened to it? I am very leery of using it. It is just sitting on the counter waiting for an answer.

I fell asleep and never got supper made. Oh well, there is always tomorrow! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom