Saturday Night's Alright for Eating - Sept. 8th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's finally cooled down a little here and I've been craving chili, so there's a big pot of my spicy chili cooking. We'll have hot cornbread along with, iced tea to drink and pistachio marble cake for dessert.

Kitchen's out of commission for a few days yet. We were hoping to cook out tonight, have the flank steak in the fridge, but it looks like tile guy will be here past when we like to start doing that, so it will be delivered pizza. Works for me!

... get a little munchin' in :whistling

mmm, grilled wings :chef: I made some earlier this week and can you believe I was out of BBQ sauce :ohmy: Fortunately I was not out of red hot sauce, lemon juice, srirracha, liquid smoke, honey, mustard and ketchup :rolleyes:

And I will be finishing off that sauce tonight by making St Louis BBQ'd pork steak (from a butt). Along with parsleyed redskins and broccoli.

My favorite way to eat pork loin http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/melt-in-your-mouth-pork-loin-39428.html
When I'm not making picatta out of it :yum:

Yum, looks good, powerplantop. Love shrimp. :yum:

It's cooling down a little here too, so I think this afternoon's dinner will be something I've been craving for a while - a baked potato with chili, onions, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, and cheese on top. :LOL::)

We went to a local pizzeria called Lola, which was recently featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I had the Kimchi Pizza, which has homemade kimchi, Korean sausage, serrano chilies, scallions, and their special sauce. DW had the Korean BBQ pizza, with braised short-ribs, sesame-soy-chili vinaigrette, and arugula. Some of the best pizza I've had in awhile.

img_1184644_0_be8a0b4602ba08d46cbf366797fc1be3.jpg

img_1184644_1_ac9d23e9a4c30c3a43df0ed6c08a8d46.jpg

So, who knew that being diabetic and eating nothing today but a big handful of Bottle Caps (a candy that is pretty much just sugar and food dyes) would shoot my blood glucose up to 318? Okay, my secret is out--for a pretty darn smart person, I am sometimes downright stupid. (My BG dropped to 289 within half an hour and is still dropping). Anyway, my shenanigans made me not feel like cooking, so we will have the lasagna thing tomorrow and KFC tonight. Yes, we are eating late, but I didn't get to bed until 11:00 a.m. and didn't fall asleep until somewhere between noon and 1:00 p.m., and James was almost as bad, so our schedule is way out of whack (has been all week). :wacko:

P.S. My Blood Glucose levels are normally really good and rarely go over 180.

Last edited:
Tonight was peppercorn-crusted NY strip steaks, baked potato, and steamed asparagus. Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake for dessert.

Last night we were very tired from being at the Royal Show all day, so we just whipped up a quick chicken stir fry :)

finally! a use for royals.

did they make them jump through flaming hoops, or swim with a ball on their nose, ir smoke cigars while rollerskating? that would be fun.. :cool:

gettin' back to pulled pork from pork "loins", many butchers stretch the definition of loin to include the somewhat fattier sirloin end. that way they can charge a few pennies more per pound, but it doez make for good low and slow cooking, especially in a crock pot which reserves a lot of moisture for a sauce that can be reintroduced when pulling the meat.

our dinner tonight was at our favourite polynesian joint. it's been hit or miss lately, and for me tonight, it was a miss. although, the family enjoyed it.

we started with a flaming pu pu platter of ribs, butterfly shrimp, curried beef, chicken wings, shrimp toast, and egg rolls. imo, everything was extremely greasy, but my wife and son liked the wow factor of being able to toast the food over flaming coals. actually, the curried beef was very good, but one chunk on a skewer was pure fat. who besides addie or i would eat a toasted hunk of pure beef fat, i ask you? lol. that's a chef that's being lazy or needs glasses.

next up was really good wor wonton soup. delicious broth; many levels of flavour: garlic, ginger, chicken, scallion, etc..

for entrees, we had chicken and snow peas, beef and broccoli, and roast pork with mushrooms
all good but really salty. i drank an entire pitcher of water with dinner, and we shared a good pot of chinese black tea.

i shoulda went with my boy's suggestion of korean bbq tonight, but oh well. tomorrow is another day.

They look brilliant Steve, well done buddy :chef:

We went to a local pizzeria called Lola, which was recently featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I had the Kimchi Pizza, which has homemade kimchi, Korean sausage, serrano chilies, scallions, and their special sauce. DW had the Korean BBQ pizza, with braised short-ribs, sesame-soy-chili vinaigrette, and arugula. Some of the best pizza I've had in awhile.

img_1184717_0_be8a0b4602ba08d46cbf366797fc1be3.jpg

img_1184717_1_ac9d23e9a4c30c3a43df0ed6c08a8d46.jpg

img_1184739_0_be8a0b4602ba08d46cbf366797fc1be3.jpg

img_1184739_1_ac9d23e9a4c30c3a43df0ed6c08a8d46.jpg
There used to be a place in Ottawa, Nick's off of Preston--I think he sold it and the person who bought it changed it--that did gourmet pizzas to die for. I'm tag-teaming you the next time I'm in the Cities for the address! It sounds like my kinda of pizza joint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom