Saturday Night's Alright for Eating - Sept. 8th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
The daytime too, it just didn't fit the song title. :LOL:

I have a pork butt I am going to put in the crockpot now for pulled pork (please all you smoker experts, please don't shoot me - this is the only way I have for making it :angel:) I will put my sauce on in awhile to slow simmer.

I usually make my pork with beer but we are out of DH's gluten free kind and the liquor stores are on strike here. Most of the beer stores don't carry it and if they do the price is even higher than the government stores. So, I am winging it! :)

What's alright for your table for tonight?

I am going to try something I read about recently. I am going to make lasagna, but instead of lasagna noodles, I will use zucchini slices (cut longways). At least, that is what I am planning--I haven't checked the zucchini yet to see if it is still good. If it isn't, I will make a stove top version of lasagna without noodles. :cool:

Heading to my mother's house for our annual hometown fair get together. Looks like it will almost be everybody there this year. Potluck affair. My brother always invites some of his friends so he offfers to bring the bulk of the meat. He is doing sliders this year. I was late to the planning so I got potato salad. I'll probably do up a couple dozen atomic buffalo turds for fun.

SO want wings on the grill, so wings it is. I'm pulling together a shopping list so sides will be determined at a later date.

LPBeier said:
The daytime too, it just didn't fit the song title. :LOL:

I have a pork butt I am going to put in the crockpot now for pulled pork (please all you smoker experts, please don't shoot me - this is the only way I have for making it :angel:) I will put my sauce on in awhile to slow simmer.

I usually make my pork with beer but we are out of DH's gluten free kind and the liquor stores are on strike here. Most of the beer stores don't carry it and if they do the price is even higher than the government stores. So, I am winging it! :)

What's alright for your table for tonight?

I'm making pulled pork too. Mine is in the oven now, then it will go into the crock pot. I am taking it to a pot luck this afternoon. I will just take bottled sauce for everyone to add themselves. I still need to cut the big bag of roils I bought at Sam's. It's kind of an easy thing to take to something like that.

I'm making pulled pork too. Mine is in the oven now, then it will go into the crock pot. I am taking it to a pot luck this afternoon. I will just take bottled sauce for everyone to add themselves. I still need to cut the big bag of roils I bought at Sam's. It's kind of an easy thing to take to something like that.

I have to make my sauce because DH can't have any of the processed ones. I don't mind though, I have a good recipe. Hmm, putting the meat in the oven first - I haven't tried that, but should. I often put it in the oven once it is done in the crock pot and mixed with some sauce.

Mmmm. Pulled pork. Whole loins are on sale, so am thinkin' that too.

Heading to my mother's house for our annual hometown fair get together. Looks like it will almost be everybody there this year. Potluck affair. My brother always invites some of his friends so he offfers to bring the bulk of the meat. He is doing sliders this year. I was late to the planning so I got potato salad. I'll probably do up a couple dozen atomic buffalo turds for fun.
I hope you aren't doing that outside. Looks like thunderstorms in my area are coming from your area. Warnings of possibility of large hail stones. :ohmy:

Pasta with Bolognese. I think I need some parmesan...may just forget that and use some fresh mozz.

I hope you aren't doing that outside. Looks like thunderstorms in my area are coming from your area. Warnings of possibility of large hail stones. :ohmy:
Well, that was the idea. BUt she has a couple of covered porches/decks and a fairly large downstairs, so we will be cramming them in. A few of my brother's friends usually make the trip with their kids to go to the fair, but I think they have cancelled due to the weather. My mother lives very close to the fair grounds so people come and go all day. You never know who is going to show up at the house. Its been going on for decades.

taxlady said:
Aren't your pork loins kinda lean for pulled pork? The ones I get are.

Bacon fat is my friend if need be....lots of recipes call for using loin for PP, we shall see! I just cut it into roasts, some in CP, the rest vac packed and frozen, looks really good.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
I think they are. Boston Butt is the best cut for pulled pork.

But butts weren't on sale! :LOL: I've always used whatever was on hand for PP, and we do try to limit fat. The result is usually pretty tasty.

But butts weren't on sale! :LOL: I've always used whatever was on hand for PP, and we do try to limit fat. The result is usually pretty tasty.

Butts are cheaper than loins regardless.

Loin will work, just yield a slightly different product. The meat is different and there is more fat in a butt. I'm not saying what you make won't be tasty, just different.

Aren't your pork loins kinda lean for pulled pork? The ones I get are.
I use the larger end of the loin. Don't trim all of the fat cap off. Sometimes when I buy a whole loin, I may choose a bad one unintentionally because it is shrink wrapped and you can't really see what is going on in there. When I do get a bad, fatty one, I am not too concerned because I can use it for pulled pork which is fine with me. If it is a lean one, I use the thinner end for chops and the larger third for a roast.

Last edited:
Rocklobster said:
I use the larger end of the loin. Don't trim all of the fat cap off. Sometimes when I buy a whole loin, I may choose a bad one unintentionally because it is shrink wrapped and you can't really see what is going on in there. When I do get a bad, fatty one, I am not too concerned because I can use it for pulled pork which is fine with me. If it is a lean one, I use the thinner end for chops and the larger third for a roast.

+1

Fat cap on and scored, larger end and the last few inches of the small end in the CP. 3 nice little roasts in the freezer.

Using a variation on LP's recipe with beer.

Last edited:
Last night we were very tired from being at the Royal Show all day, so we just whipped up a quick chicken stir fry :)

Back
Top Bottom