Saturday Supper 12/14/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been trying to get into the spirit of the season, along with dealing with the loss of my youngest brother, I've gotten more into cooking.

So, tonight I've prepared a barbecued ribs recipe I've made before. They're done in the crock-pot and are the best I've done, crock-pot or not.

Check these out: https://carlsbadcravings.com/slow-cooker-barbecue-ribs-recipe/.

The rub is awesome and the sauce is something I want to roll in.

Gonna have black-eye peas with.

We'll be lickin' our fingers in a little while.

Thanks for that Katie. I prefer to do ribs in the oven as I don't want them quite falling off the bone, but I sure intend to try that rub and sauce. Sounds great. :yum:

Looks great, Andy!

I made some black bean chilaqiiles today, more for others tomorrow, but I had to make a small bowl for myself today! I had to trim my epazote today (it was overgrowing the hydroponics, so I made something that used a bunch of it, then took a large bag of it to the Mexican grocery in town, and got a few things there. More Mexican tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my veal/ricotta cannelloni with white pecorino sauce, in the casserole dish just after baking - it was delicious - one of the best I've done.

My sister-in-law was given the recipe and says it's to die for.

Attachments

• IMG_9149 Veal Canneloni.jpg
    IMG_9149 Veal Canneloni.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 116
I'm going to be trying out a new recipe for "Tuscan Pork Stew". It sounds yummy and if it is, I'll post the recipe.

What's cooking at your abode today?:chef:
That was really delicious and "if" anyone is interested in my revised recipe I'll be happy to type it up and post it tomorrow. The good news is we will enjoy some leftovers, and a freezer meal.

Attachments

• PC140028.jpg
    PC140028.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 125
  • PC140029.jpg
    PC140029.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Been trying to get into the spirit of the season, along with dealing with the loss of my youngest brother, I've gotten more into cooking.

So, tonight I've prepared a barbecued ribs recipe I've made before. They're done in the crock-pot and are the best I've done, crock-pot or not.

Check these out: https://carlsbadcravings.com/slow-cooker-barbecue-ribs-recipe/.

The rub is awesome and the sauce is something I want to roll in.

Gonna have black-eye peas with.

We'll be lickin' our fingers in a little while.

I looked at the recipe and it is very similar to my own dry rub. The BBQ sauce is very different than mine though. It looks yummy. I'll have to give it a try. My ribs are best done on the Webber Charcoal Kettle, with maple and apple wood on the coals to create smoke. The ribs are mopped with apple cider every 20 minutes, then sauced 6 minutes before they are done, so as not to scorch the sugars in the sauce.

Thanks for sharing the site. As I said, the ribs and sauce recipes lopk grat.

A couple nights back, I threw a very beefy chuck roast, with just the right amount of fat, into the pressure cooker for 50 minutes, along with a sliced onion. The roast was browned in a hot C.I. pan before going into the pressure cooker. No salt was added at the time. The roast came out perfect, and shredded like a dream. Add salt, garlic powder, and cumin to the meat, along with the drippings from the P.C. We had shredded beef tacos that night, on soft corn tortillas, with all the right fixin's.

That brings me to tonight's meal. Left over shredded beef Mexican Pizza.
DW found 8 inch, semi-cooked pizza crust at Walmart. I took 3 tbs. of very garlic jarred pasta sauce, added 2 tbs. Sriracha, and a good tsp, Tabasco Sauce. I used that for the pizza sauce. Topped with some of that shredded beef, and grated extra, extra sharp cheddar cheese. Bake for 9 minutes.

I have to say that I wouldn't have enjoyed the crust for traditional Italian, or Sicilian pizza. It was definitely a baking powder raised, crispy crust. But for the Mexican Pizza, it was perfect, just the right soft crunch, without the yeast flavor that I normally love in pizza crust. Chase that flavor bomb with cran-raspberry juice and you have awakened every taste bud and made them dance with joy. Who knew something so simple could taste so good?:yum:

New, easy comfort food!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Looks great, Andy!

I made some black bean chilaqiiles today, more for others tomorrow, but I had to make a small bowl for myself today! I had to trim my epazote today (it was overgrowing the hydroponics, so I made something that used a bunch of it, then took a large bag of it to the Mexican grocery in town, and got a few things there. More Mexican tomorrow.

Could you take a pic of that sometime for me. I've had chilaquillas for decades from a long standing Mexican restaurant. I used to deliver for them a long time ago. Their chilaquillas have a lot of cheese in them, more like a tortillas cheese n chix casserole.

From other places I've been to, this is not traditional. Just how this place near me has been making it for nearly 50 years.

Could you take a pic of that sometime for me. I've had chilaquillas for decades from a long standing Mexican restaurant. I used to deliver for them a long time ago. Their chilaquillas have a lot of cheese in them, more like a tortillas cheese n chix casserole.

From other places I've been to, this is not traditional. Just how this place near me has been making it for nearly 50 years.
I'll take some photos tomorrow (or rather, today. lol). I looked to see if the recipe was in Bayless's chilaquile recipes in Frontera, but not this one. It's in his book Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen, my favorite of his. It doesn't have a lot of cheese, but it has some Crema in it, which I just made recently. For 1/2 lb dried beans, it only has 1/4 cup queso añejo and 1/2 c crema. He often suggests parmesan or crumbled feta, when the queso añejo isn't available, and in recent years, I've noticed him using greek yogurt in place of the crema, but it's not really the same.

This recipe, and the others I've made, have the fairly thin sauce/soup mix, Then the chips are added, and let sit for about 5 min., then served immediately, with the garnishes. Since I'm rarely serving it to more than 2 or 3 (and often just myself), I just put the chips in some bowls, then add the liquid, let sit about 5 min., then serve, topped with the garnishes. Then I can have leftovers, the same way. The chips I like to use are the thick, crunchy type - the organic ones from Aldi are great for this.

Back
Top Bottom