Saturday Supper. 12/16/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be doing a couple of 2" thick Porterhouse pork chops, baked potato, and salad.

I really want to grill those beautiful chops but the dang Thomas fire is still burning on the 12th day, and the air quality is just horrible out there. :cry:
Check this out..
https://www.space.com/39121-thomas-fire-image-from-space.html

Hope one of you will be grilling in the clean fresh air.

Last edited:
Cannelloni discussions inspired me, so I'm making beef and cheese manicotti tonight with fresh pasta, green salad.

Beef and Cheese Manicotti Recipe | Giada De Laurentiis | Food Network

The pasta machine extrudes 3-1/2 wide lasagna noodles, so the manicotti will be rolled instead of filled tubes. I pulled some marinara out of the freezer earlier. If it bombs the backup is the spaghetti sauce in the freezer, and there's always 1-800-DOMINOS.

Today is my Mother's birthday!!!

DH and I are taking out again tonight, this time to
a historic hotel downtown for Prime Rib dinner, MMM :yum:
Yum@ Prime Rib dinner... :yum:

Happy Birthday to mom... :)

Had our household goods sale today... Went out for Mexican food as I'm too tired to even put together leftovers, much less cook a meal...

Ross

Last edited:
Tourtiere w/ salad

Attachments

• 25437115_10155011940957401_2002716254_n.jpg
    25437115_10155011940957401_2002716254_n.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 147
Here it was baked cod with homemade rice-a-roni, steamed cauliflower and Italian green beans.:chef:

We had Christmas lunch with TB's family today. We always have it a bit before the real Christmas as it is easier for the out-of-towners to make it.

Everyone pitches in with food and there was lots of it - turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, glazed carrots (my contribution along with making the gravy there), peas & corn, curried cauliflower, marshmallow salad, and brussell sprouts with bacon! We left before dessert.

We will probably just have some soup later.

I have always been a fan of the deep fryer for wings, so much so that I had never tried another method. Today I combined some tips for making crispy wings in the oven that I found on the internet.
First tip is to unpack and pat the wings dry with paper towels and then let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight or 8-12 hours. This helps to dehydrate the skin.
Second tip is to season them with plenty of salt and about a tablespoon per 20 or so wing parts of baking powder, make sure its baking powder and not soda. This again helps to dehydrate the skin to help get them crispy.
Third and forth tips use an oven rack on top of a baking pan so that air can circulate all the way around the wings. Then bake @250 for 30mins, this again helps dry them and prepares them for browning.
Finally crank the heat to 400 and bake for an additional 35-50 mins depending on the size of the wings. I made mine using this method tonight and they were MORE crispy then I have ever had them before, even if for some silly reason they were breaded. Just awesome, they take some time to prepare and cook this way but I don't think I will be using a fryer again, they were that good.
The sauce I made tonight was pretty good too if I do say so myself. I melted 3/4 stick of butter and then added about 3 cloves of finely diced garlic. Over medium heat let the garlic get fragrant and infuse with the butter for about a min or 90 seconds, don't let it brown. Then remove from the heat and add in 4 tablespoons Franks hot sauce, 6 tablespoons grated parm, the pregrated stuff works best for this, a tablespoon of lemon or lime juice, a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and for the creamy factor I used about 2 tablespoons of creamy ceasar dressing. You could probably sub mayo or ranch for the creamy part it would just taste a bit different.
As soon as the wings came out of the oven I tossed them in the sauce and grated a touch of fresh parm over the top and added Tapatio hot sauce for more heat. They were fantastic. Even coated in the sauce they stayed super crispy. So glad to have my own wings back in my rotation!

I worked hard all day, and have a lot of Photoshop work to do tonight to help my customer meet a deadline. So, I'll be grazing again tonight. I don't mind, since I got a lot of good shots today, and I'm actually psyched to make them better in Photoshop.

I still have some gumbo in the fridge, and some frozen stuffed and breaded jalepeños in the freezer that I can fry up and eat while I work.

I have rock-and-roll cranking and some cold beverages, time for an all-nighter.

CD

Kay....the link you posted sure does put things in perspective about just how devastating this Thomas fire is. :(

Kgirl...happy birthday to your mama! Sounds like you're having a great time.

Wow...everyone's dinners sound wonderful, and I'm sure enjoying the pics! :yum:

I threw together a skillet dinner this evening from clean-out-the-fridge things that needed used up. I ended up with sautéed crisp tender string beans, some chopped ham, onions, and a few grape tomatoes. With a little seasoning, it sure turned out good.

Today is my Mother's birthday!!!

DH and I are taking out again tonight, this time to
a historic hotel downtown for Prime Rib dinner, MMM :yum:

Mahalo, thanks so much for all of your birthday wishes to my Mother, I did pass them along!

Dec 16 2017 dinner at Hassayama Inn.jpg

The Slow Roasted Herb Crusted Prime Rib was wonderful!
I had the Brown Rice as my starch, Mom had the mashed Sweet Potato and DH had a baker, dry please with ketchup and bacon bites. The veg of the day was spaghetti squash and green beans... all very good. Mom and I each had a lovely glass (or two) of wine with our meals.
We started the drive back home from the city and there was some sort of road closure ahead of us, so we turned off to see the Parade of Lights in the Valley, FANTASTIC!!
Dessert was Birthday Cake at home, my homemade Rum Cake!

CAKE.jpg

Happy belated birthday to your Mom, K-Girl. Sounds like you two girls are having a wonderful visit.

JK, that's how I have been after a garage/yard sale. Sometimes I've even been too tired to even think about what I want to eat - just point me to my bed and pillows! :LOL: Glad to read elsewhere that you had a successful sale.

We put off our departure to OH by a day since the Sunday weather through PA looked like it could be slick. I had set some minestrone to take with us to the kids. Oops, never mind! Good thing they didn't know it was coming. :LOL: At least this gave us the chance to finish off the last of a loaf of bread rather than tossing it in the freezer...

DH took me out to a local seafood restaurant. I had my usual tempura shrimp tacos with mango salsa and coleslaw. I love those things :yum: DH had fish tacos.

They have a special on their website - show them the coupon on your phone and they give you a free order of crab dip! $8.99 value! Delish!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom