"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Saturday Supper. 12/16/17

I'll be doing a couple of 2" thick Porterhouse pork chops, baked potato, and salad.

I really want to grill those beautiful chops but the dang Thomas fire is still burning on the 12th day, and the air quality is just horrible out there.
Check this out..
https://www.space.com/39121-thomas-f...rom-space.html

Hope one of you will be grilling in the clean fresh air.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Head Chef

Cannelloni discussions inspired me, so I'm making beef and cheese manicotti tonight with fresh pasta, green salad.

Beef and Cheese Manicotti Recipe | Giada De Laurentiis | Food Network

The pasta machine extrudes 3-1/2 wide lasagna noodles, so the manicotti will be rolled instead of filled tubes. I pulled some marinara out of the freezer earlier. If it bombs the backup is the spaghetti sauce in the freezer, and there's always 1-800-DOMINOS.

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm making a batch of French onion soup gratinee (on of Julia's recipes).
Old 12-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Today is my Mother's birthday!!!

DH and I are taking out again tonight, this time to
a historic hotel downtown for Prime Rib dinner, MMM
Old 12-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Today is my Mother's birthday!!!

DH and I are taking out again tonight, this time to
a historic hotel downtown for Prime Rib dinner, MMM
Yum@ Prime Rib dinner...

Happy Birthday to mom...

Had our household goods sale today... Went out for Mexican food as I'm too tired to even put together leftovers, much less cook a meal...

Ross
Old 12-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
Master Chef

Tourtiere w/ salad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25437115_10155011940957401_2002716254_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	28678  
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
Head Chef

Here it was baked cod with homemade rice-a-roni, steamed cauliflower and Italian green beans.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
Head Chef

Pizza tonight...

[IMG][/IMG]
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

We had Christmas lunch with TB's family today. We always have it a bit before the real Christmas as it is easier for the out-of-towners to make it.

Everyone pitches in with food and there was lots of it - turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, glazed carrots (my contribution along with making the gravy there), peas & corn, curried cauliflower, marshmallow salad, and brussell sprouts with bacon! We left before dessert.

We will probably just have some soup later.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Cook

I have always been a fan of the deep fryer for wings, so much so that I had never tried another method. Today I combined some tips for making crispy wings in the oven that I found on the internet.
First tip is to unpack and pat the wings dry with paper towels and then let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight or 8-12 hours. This helps to dehydrate the skin.
Second tip is to season them with plenty of salt and about a tablespoon per 20 or so wing parts of baking powder, make sure its baking powder and not soda. This again helps to dehydrate the skin to help get them crispy.
Third and forth tips use an oven rack on top of a baking pan so that air can circulate all the way around the wings. Then bake @250 for 30mins, this again helps dry them and prepares them for browning.
Finally crank the heat to 400 and bake for an additional 35-50 mins depending on the size of the wings. I made mine using this method tonight and they were MORE crispy then I have ever had them before, even if for some silly reason they were breaded. Just awesome, they take some time to prepare and cook this way but I don't think I will be using a fryer again, they were that good.
The sauce I made tonight was pretty good too if I do say so myself. I melted 3/4 stick of butter and then added about 3 cloves of finely diced garlic. Over medium heat let the garlic get fragrant and infuse with the butter for about a min or 90 seconds, don't let it brown. Then remove from the heat and add in 4 tablespoons Franks hot sauce, 6 tablespoons grated parm, the pregrated stuff works best for this, a tablespoon of lemon or lime juice, a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and for the creamy factor I used about 2 tablespoons of creamy ceasar dressing. You could probably sub mayo or ranch for the creamy part it would just taste a bit different.
As soon as the wings came out of the oven I tossed them in the sauce and grated a touch of fresh parm over the top and added Tapatio hot sauce for more heat. They were fantastic. Even coated in the sauce they stayed super crispy. So glad to have my own wings back in my rotation!

bossman150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supper