Saturday Supper - 12/29/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
It was a balmy (by NH standards) 46 F here today, so a grill meal was in order. Marinated steak tips on the grill, roasted sweet potatoes, green salad.

Balmy. Now there's a word I think I used to know. Neither of us was brave enough to leave our houses today. But I was hungry, so I made grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup for dipping and Campbells tomato soup.

Toasty I is.

SO, grandson and I had pasta with tomato sauce for dinner tonight. One of grandson's favorites.

I had leftover gyro and rice from a local Greek resto. I also had some Thai salad from a friend. Didn't think much of it, but some hot sauce improved it.

Looks good, Roch.

I pulled out some chili from the freezer, so I heated that up and had it over a small baked potato. Topped with shredded cheddar and onions.

Chili for me too. Then I bagged up and froze the rest from yesterday's big vat.

Dawg....always nice to have portioned chili in the freezer! I used up my last bit today, I need to make another batch.

Whisk....about tomato soup, also something nice to have on hand in the pantry during the winter. Have you by chance ever tried the canned Progresso Tomato Basil soup? It's pretty darned tasty. :yum:

It was a balmy (by NH standards) 46 F here today, so a grill meal was in order. Marinated steak tips on the grill, roasted sweet potatoes, green salad.

It's warmer there than it is in Dallas -- we only made it to 39F.

Leftover xmas ham, with cheddar, on toasted ciabatta rolls at the doghouse.

CD

It's a chilly (for us) 54 degrees tonight so classic Chicken N Dumplings sounded like a good idea. The Bisquick dumplings could have been fluffier, but the box is out of date by 4 months so I guess I need a new box. I wish they sold really small boxes of Bisquick as I seldom use it. I use baking powder even less, and checked to see that it was done 12/12/17 :LOL:
Anyway, it was still good eats. :yum:

Attachments

• PC290005[1].jpg
    PC290005[1].jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Whisk....about tomato soup, also something nice to have on hand in the pantry during the winter. Have you by chance ever tried the canned Progresso Tomato Basil soup? It's pretty darned tasty. :yum:[/QUOTE]

Cheryl, thanks for the Progresso rec. Campbells tastes too sweet, Don't know if they changed the recipe or my tastes change over time.

If you have a La Madeline restaurant in your area, they sell their tomato-basil soup in jars at the restaurants. It is wonderful.

CD

Whisk....about tomato soup, also something nice to have on hand in the pantry during the winter. Have you by chance ever tried the canned Progresso Tomato Basil soup? It's pretty darned tasty. :yum:

Cheryl, thanks for the Progresso rec. Campbells tastes too sweet, Don't know if they changed the recipe or my tastes change over time.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, Whisk. For those grilled cheese sandwich nights when you're snowed in and want a quickie canned tomato soup, it puts Campbell's to shame. :)

I used the ham bone & scraps of ham from Christmas and made navy bean soup in the IP. I made corn bread in the IP, too.

Finishing up cookies & fudge for dessert/snack.

informenter-marker-1.png

It's a chilly (for us) 54 degrees tonight so classic Chicken N Dumplings sounded like a good idea. The Bisquick dumplings could have been fluffier, but the box is out of date by 4 months so I guess I need a new box. I wish they sold really small boxes of Bisquick as I seldom use it. I use baking powder even less, and checked to see that it was done 12/12/17 :LOL:
Anyway, it was still good eats. :yum:

Looks delish! I've been craving that as well. :yum:

I mixed together leftover spinach-artichoke dip and creamy salmon and peas, warmed it up and served it over spinach-ricotta ravioli. Roasted asparagus and toasted homemade bread finished the dish.
20181229_193254.jpg

We took the kids out to their birthday dinner tonight to Michael Symon's "Mabel's BBQ" restaurant. It was good, but probably just a one time spot. It's very meat-centric - few side dish choices and not a lot of veggie things. That is so different than how Himself and I eat at home! As soon as I got back to Loverly's, I grabbed an apple!

IMG_20181229_203619855.jpg

I had a strange but good soup from a nearby deli last night at work. The cook said he didn't have enough ingredients to make enough to fill the terrine of any one soup, so he made tomato/basil, bean, clam, and vegetable chowder.

It was very filling, and very good.

We had prime rib, our mushroom bread pudding (sans the mushroom due to a severe allergy, with black garlic as a substitute), and a spinach/new potato salad with a walnut, onion, bacon, balsamic, walnut oil and bacon fat dressing topped with blue cheese, and Buche de Noel for dessert. It was our Christmas with DD and DGDs, plus a couple of guests. Didn't take a picture of dinner, they were already teasing me for taking pictures of my cake, but I wanted a picture of it even if I didn't post it anywhere. I'm proud of it darn it!

Attachments

• 2018-12-29 12.22.12.jpg
    2018-12-29 12.22.12.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom