Saturday Supper ~ 2-25-2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
IF I survive making three other meals (or parts thereof), we'll be having Cuban-Style Picadillo (hat-tip to Kayelle for bringing this recipe to my attention :yum: ). I might make a bowl of fruit salad for late-night snacking. Something for my hands to do while "watching" basketball tonight.

What's your plan?

I don't know, for sure, yet. But, I have a shiny new Victorinox 8-inch chef's knife in my knife drawer, so whatever I make, it will involve that knife. I often make a big pasta salad on Sundays to eat from during the week. I may need to do that tonight, because there are vegetables to be diced. Perfect for breaking in that new knife.

CD

I don't feel like cooking. Probably should not have had last night's leftovers for lunch ? We're going to order pizza from our neighborhood pizza joint ? The owner is from New Yawk City with the accent to prove it. Delish!

Hmmm
I was just surveying the `fridge and we do have quite a few bowls of tidbits, covered in tin foil to create a very nice "Mixed Plate".
We have some leftover grilled Salmon, New York Strip Steak, B/S Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, Asparagus, Mushrooms, Sweet Red Bell Peppers, some of my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee and steamed white Rice... A feast!
I have dessert cooling on the back patio, Meyer Lemon Bars, MMM :yum:
I finally found a recipe, that I kinda-sorta followed that is very similar it seems to the style you would typically find in Hawaii. Lemon Bars are very popular in Hawaii!
Oh MY! My salivary glads just kicked into over drive :stuart:

It's a hamburger for me tonight! :) It's in keeping with my new "smaller Greg" diet, or there would be French fries. And ketchup!!! But alas...

I always shop the "last day" manager's specials and picked up two half pound 80/20 hamburger patties for $1.09 each. Feel free to tell me that is too large a serving, it probably is. The 20% is because whether healthy or not we all know that in beef the flavor is in the fat, and a 2% fat hamburger would have no taste. I usually get the 90/10 for hamburgers but "last day" it's what you see is what you get.

I dislike traditional hamburger buns because they are so soft and it's difficult to eat a hamburger without it falling apart as you eat it. Instead I look in the bakery section for extra large "everything" bagels. Some days there aren't any big enough, others no "everything" bagels at all. Yesterday I got lucky. Bagels are of course tougher than hamburger buns so mine don't fall apart. I like the taste of the seeds too! I also like to cut the hamburger in half before serving. Easier to pick up and eat.

In a rare indulgence I picked up an avocado a few days ago--first time in many months--and you know avocados don't last long, so I've been using avocado to kick up a few meals like over my white rice last night, like in my breakfast egg burrito this morning, so I'll replace the mayonnaise with avocado in my hamburger. (Yes I am aware of the fat content of avocados. But I think it's a good fat.) I love sauteed mushrooms on my hamburgers but think they would clash with the avocado. I think the taste of one would confuse or dominate the taste of the other. (Haven't made up my mind about adding tomato slices.) Cram some lettuce over that and ring the dinner bell!

By the way I like my hamburgers medium rare. Most restaurant menus now have health warnings that almost say if you order your hamburger anything other than medium well {their standard, prolly the gummint standard} that it may kill you and they are not responsible. What does the USDA know anyway? I cook mine to 140° in the center using an instant read. I'm happy to say it hasn't killed me yet! ;)

Please feel free to critique my methods or ideas. You learn from criticism. I'm embarrassed to have such a plain dinner but there's the diet I mentioned, and lately I have not been inspired to make big creations.

As an aside, I like to munch fresh vegetables as I cook. Sour cream + onion soup mix makes a great dip, or non-fat salad dressing otherwise. I discovered that eating just one asparagus spear can cause ... the usual "tell" that you had asparagus with dinner. :huh: Currently sipping a bit of wine, bits o' asparagus, thin slivers of red onion and mushroom slices. :)

Interesting fact: avocado oil has the highest smoke point temperature of all commonly used cooking oils. I use only olive oil and avocado oil. No GMO canola (rapeseed) oil for me. Prolly no prob with non-GMO canola.

Last edited:
Hmmm
I was just surveying the `fridge and we do have quite a few bowls of tidbits, covered in tin foil to create a very nice "Mixed Plate".
We have some leftover grilled Salmon, New York Strip Steak, B/S Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, Asparagus, Mushrooms, Sweet Red Bell Peppers, some of my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee and steamed white Rice... A feast!

No offense intended but is that what they call a "dog's dinner" ? :)

Playing on the fact that to dogs food is just food, doesn't matter what kind or mix it is. Not intended to imply inferior quality.

Just to add, was only able to finish 2/3 of my hamburger. Also must have used the instant read on a hot spot, was a little too rare for my preferences. Probably won't kill me... Now sipping my last 2 oz. of wine! :yum:

Hmmm
I have dessert cooling on the back patio, Meyer Lemon Bars, MMM :yum:
I finally found a recipe, that I kinda-sorta followed that is very similar it seems to the style you would typically find in Hawaii. Lemon Bars are very popular in Hawaii!
Oh MY! My salivary glads just kicked into over drive :stuart:

Sounds good to me, kgirl! I often have Mixed Plates for dinner (or lunch) and totally enjoy them.

Do you have the recipe handy that you used for the lemon bars? :yum:

We ate out yesterday at our local favorite Italian place (Salvatore's), and I warmed up the leftovers for the wife (chicken parmesan, pasta, bread) in the oven. I didn't have any leftovers (ate all of mine there), so I nuked an El Patio burrito topped with cheese.

I had a couple of tacos this evening. :yum: Thin sliced and chopped seasoned flank steak, chopped onion, cilantro, and a bit of pico de gallo...piled onto 2 lightly fried corn tortillas.

A scoop of refried black beans on the side. Yum.

Please feel free to critique my methods or ideas. You learn from criticism. I'm embarrassed to have such a plain dinner but there's the diet I mentioned, and lately I have not been inspired to make big creations.

No critique. A good burger all by itself is a complete meal, in my opinion. Nothing "plain" about that. I also like a good, crusty, substantial bun with my burgers. I've never tried a bagel, but it sounds good.

As for the diet, anything you cook at home from scratch is healthier than what you get at a restaurant. And, if a half-pound burger fills you up, so you skip the chocolate cheesecake for dessert, it has saved you a whole lot of calories.

CD

Then why did you post this?

I understood the question. I am not familiar with the term, "dog's dinner," but it sounds like something I make a lot -- a hodgepodge of leftovers and random ingredients in the fridge. I actually like the term. I may just use it in the future.

CD

I understood the question. I am not familiar with the term, "dog's dinner," but it sounds like something I make a lot -- a hodgepodge of leftovers and random ingredients in the fridge. I actually like the term. I may just use it in the future.

CD

Must be a reference to a "doggy bag" -- take home leftovers from a restaurant to feed the pooch at home.

Yes that's pretty much it. Not related to "doggy bag" though. Actually I found a plethora of slang definitions, some slurs, some more what I intended.

What I meant is that a dog will go around and just eat whatever edibles it finds, not needing any theme or relationship, one thing at a time irrespective of what preceded or followed it.

I can understand that a Brit would consider it offensive, and I apologize for that. I hadn't been aware of the Brit slang before.

For me it would mean cleaning out my fridge for all the "this and that" left overs from the last few meals.

Fixed that for you. ;)
I never tried that. Depending on who's doing it I might like it. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom