"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
Master Chef

Saturday Supper - 5-16-2015

Another Saturday with a forgotten thread? Guess it's a good thing we all have more to do than play on our electronic devices.

We have a refrigerator absolutely stuffed with leftovers. I made salads for us, then I had a bowl of the chickpea soup with some of the grilled chicken shredded into it. Himself rummaged the lonely piece of grocery store pizza, then had a small bowl of soup. I think we'll be eating leftovers for at least four more days.

Anyone else eat today?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Saturday Supper - 5-16-2015

We had sloppy joes around 2:00. Guess we could call it dunch. Been snacking on leftovers since then.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Head Chef

Goat Cheese Stuffed Lamb Burger

Actually it was a late lunch, made the burger for a contest.

DSC_1134 by James, on Flickr
Old 05-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We had grilled kielbasa and cinnamon sweet potatoes.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Master Chef

It's not even dark yet out here in the "wild, wild west" so we just finished dinner. I was going to grill some chicken thighs but it's been a gloomy cool day so thought I'd try out my toaster oven for them. Dang, they really turned out well after marinating them in Goya lemon and Mexican spices, and then dusting them with my new Hawaiian seasoning of Hawaiian sea salt, chili and garlic. That little toaster oven did a really nice job on the four thighs and I'll be doing that again for sure. I did a nice version of a southwestern salad that SC loved, and garlic toast too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

Looks delish, powerplant and Kay!

I had a couple of TJ's breaded cod fillets with fresh squeezed lemon juice, roasted sweet potatoes, and asparagus. Instead of my usual cinnamon for the roasted sweet potato wedges, I sprinkled them with Penzeys Arizona Dreaming. Fantastic on sweet potatoes, that may be my new go to.

I remembered Joey's recipe for panko and parmesan roasted asparagus and how good it was, so I did the asparagus that way this evening. I was out of parm though, so used Romano. Very tasty...tender crisp asparagus with crunchy coating. Yum.

Panko & Parm Asparagus
Old 05-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's not even dark yet out here in the "wild, wild west" so we just finished dinner. I was going to grill some chicken thighs but it's been a gloomy cool day so thought I'd try out my toaster oven for them. Dang, they really turned out well after marinating them in Goya lemon and Mexican spices, and then dusting them with my new Hawaiian seasoning of Hawaiian sea salt, chili and garlic. That little toaster oven did a really nice job on the four thighs and I'll be doing that again for sure. I did a nice version of a southwestern salad that SC loved, and garlic toast too.

Thats a beauty, love it.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
Head Chef

For lunch I had leftover roast beef sammy.
For dinner it was Pasties with roast beef, onion,carrots, potato's & turnip w/ gravy.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Looks delish, powerplant and Kay!

I had a couple of TJ's breaded cod fillets with fresh squeezed lemon juice, roasted sweet potatoes, and asparagus. Instead of my usual cinnamon for the roasted sweet potato wedges, I sprinkled them with Penzeys Arizona Dreaming. Fantastic on sweet potatoes, that may be my new go to.

I remembered Joey's recipe for panko and parmesan roasted asparagus and how good it was, so I did the asparagus that way this evening. I was out of parm though, so used Romano. Very tasty...tender crisp asparagus with crunchy coating. Yum.

Panko & Parm Asparagus
Happy to hear that Cheryl. I made them the other day, but ran out of Panko, so I used fresh bread crumbs instead. It worked out fine. Just thought I would let you know.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #10
Head Chef

I'm cooking up some beef stew. I'm not experienced enough to do it all from scratch so I use McCormicks Beef Stew mix. I make small batches and was a little surprised how much my ingredients list added up to.
Small white potatoes...$2.99 lb. Pearl onions in a small mesh bag...$2.79. I only used half a bag and wonder if I'll have to throw the other half away. Carrots were cheap as was the celery. The meat was already cut up for beef stew and was reasonably priced. I'm only using 1 lb. of beef for this batch as it makes 2 good servings. I know it would be more economical to make a bigger batch and freeze the rest, but I didn't quite like how it thaws up.

Do most beef stews use small white potatoes (yukon) or can I cut up a russet potato into large cubes? That would save me some money. Someone said russet potatoes don't make for a good beef stew. Not many places carry pearl onions in loose bulk, they come in mesh satchels. I suppose I could use the leftover pearl onions in green peas or something else, what, I don't know.

One thing I learned is that a little burgundy wine goes a long way, probably because it reduces. I only use a tiny splash of it now, after browning the stew meat and adding the water. If I use just a little too much, I end up with burgundy beef stew. Just a very small splash of burgundy wine really makes the beef taste classy, without making the stew taste like burgundy wine.

Tags
supper