"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Nice looking tuna, Steve. Did you marinate/baste it with a soy sauce kind of thing? I was wondering, since you have sesame seeds sprinkled on top. I did our tuna last night with a very generous *cough cough* coating of Spice House's "Florida Seasoned Pepper". I keep meaning to do an Asian inspired version, but I keep forgetting.
CG, I make up a 3:1 mix of soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, along with a little ginger and garlic, and just marinate it for 30 minutes. Before I put it in the pan I also give it light salting, because the soy doesn't really penetrate like salt does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Steve I'm curious, how much heat inside? I still plan to take a sinfully large slab of sushi grade tuna and giving it a quick sear (maybe just one side) and serve it with wasabi and soy sauce.
Greg, it's raw on the inside. I only do a 30 second sear on each side and the edges. When it comes to tuna, I usually serve it with either ponzu or wasabi mayo. I didn't happen to have either on hand today, so it went on the plate au naturel.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thanks, Steve. It sounds easy enough to remember - but I may end up sending you a PM if I forget when I want to use it.

I decided to make the salads into dinner salads, adding in the leftover tuna and splitting a random hard-cooked egg that was an extra from earlier in the week. My intention was to fill our tummies so much that we want only a small serving of chowder...leaving lots of chowder for tomorrow or Monday. We'll see how my plan works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-20 22.35.32.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	25210  

Old 08-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The SC found a half price flank steak and it's been so long since I've cooked one it took me some time to decide what to do. I like the sound of this, so I cut it into thin strips and after marinating, I'll string them on skewers and grill them. Sides will be stir fried veggies on the side burner with steamed jasmine rice for the SC.

Here's the marinade..
  • 1/4 cup Gochujang
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed

• 3 cloves garlic, grated.

The meat was wonderful and flavorful, quickly grilled. I changed plans slightly by doing Asian riced cauliflower for us both with all the bells and whistles. My treat, and his, are the wonderful shrimp toasts from TJ's.. they are just outstanding, and I could afford the small amount of carbs today.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

Gads, I'm so pleased with tonight's supper am posting twice...

Scallops, shrimp, spinach, mushrooms, grapefruit, oranges... and what I had earlier been calling a marinade should probably be called a vinaigrette.. although it was used to baste the skewers

Old 08-20-2016, 11:12 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Lots of very colorful meals tonight! They all look great!
Old 08-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I had a beautiful red snapper, but DW isn't crazy about fish. She'll eat it, but I usually have to 'enhance ' it in some way.

Tonight I seared the inside in a screaming hot CI skillet, then topped it with a Thai chili ginger sauce and transferred it to a hot love to finish. I served it with a suffocated of corn,black beans and edamame.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Gads, I'm so pleased with tonight's supper am posting twice...

Scallops, shrimp, spinach, mushrooms, grapefruit, oranges... and what I had earlier been calling a marinade should probably be called a vinaigrette.. although it was used to baste the skewers

That's just beautiful !!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:33 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I made bbq pulled pork sandwhiches with homemade coleslaw and bread and butter pickles. The sauce was a red plum, red onion, cherry pepper, balsamic reduction.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I had a beautiful red snapper, but DW isn't crazy about fish. She'll eat it, but I usually have to 'enhance ' it in some way.

Tonight I seared the inside in a screaming hot CI skillet, then topped it with a Thai chili ginger sauce and transferred it to a hot love to finish. I served it with a suffocated of corn,black beans and edamame.
I hate spell check. I seared the skin. Transferred to a hot oven. Served with succotash.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:34 AM   #20
Master Chef

Hmm, since your DW doesn't care for fish, Silversage, I figured the "suffocated of corn..." was accurate.

I managed to translate the "hot love" to "hot oven", but was completely stumped on what it was that autocorrect mangled so that you could sear the inside of something.

Tags
supper