"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Greg, it's raw on the inside. I only do a 30 second sear on each side and the edges. When it comes to tuna, I usually serve it with either ponzu or wasabi mayo. I didn't happen to have either on hand today, so it went on the plate au naturel.
My man!!! You have accelerated my plans to do a sushi tuna sear, I prefer wasabi mixed in soy sauce. You know the deal, place some wasabi paste in your dish of soy sauce and only slightly mix it. -- To be truthful I'll sear only part of my tuna. It's so good raw that I don't want to risk the whole thing!

Do you have any additional accompaniment suggestions besides the tomato-avocado salad?

p.s. definitely not into edamams.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
Head Chef

too funny, you guys talking about the tuna...

have a friend who wants to do some for me but fish to start is not my favourite and raw definitely pushes it under the carpet. I told her "You serve me tuna and it better come out of a can!"

Salmon I like and I can do smoked salmon as in lox but gravlax... yes taxlady, I did say I would try anything at least once. Same 'tuna' friend wanted to serve salmon tartar, groan... no no no

But I love seafood as in shellfish. I can do about 2-3 oysters raw (but not cooked - yech, patoui, pwahh)! Shrimp, mussels, clams, lobsters, scampi, squid and octopus too. Very mild fish such as sole, tilapia, snapper too, cod, haddock, - oh yum- fish and chips
I like escargot or at least the garlic butter they're served in. Don't find they themselves have that much taste.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
too funny, you guys talking about the tuna...

have a friend who wants to do some for me but fish to start is not my favourite and raw definitely pushes it under the carpet. I told her "You serve me tuna and it better come out of a can!"

Salmon I like and I can do smoked salmon as in lox but gravlax... yes taxlady, I did say I would try anything at least once. Same 'tuna' friend wanted to serve salmon tartar, groan... no no no

But I love seafood as in shellfish. I can do about 2-3 oysters raw (but not cooked - yech, patoui, pwahh)! Shrimp, mussels, clams, lobsters, scampi, squid and octopus too. Very mild fish such as sole, tilapia, snapper too, cod, haddock, - oh yum- fish and chips
I like escargot or at least the garlic butter they're served in. Don't find they themselves have that much taste.
Gravlax, like ceviche, is "cooked" without heat. I will not eat salmon unless it is smoked or cured. If you like raw oysters, you should try uni.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Gravlax, like ceviche, is "cooked" without heat.
Yeah, I forgot to mention ceviche - I don't give a if the lemon is "supposedly cooking" the 'whatever' - I cannot wrap my brain around it - sorry but that is still raw and able to crawl with all it's inherent nasties. (shudder)

Back in the day I can still remember my grandmother & mother using lemon juice to wipe down the chicken. It was (and is) a way to remove surface bacteria. I still do it on occasion, especially in the cavity of fowl. But if you soaked the bird in lemon juice - it didn't mean the darn thing was cooked!

and now I'm off to go and google uni.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
My man!!! You have accelerated my plans to do a sushi tuna sear, I prefer wasabi mixed in soy sauce. You know the deal, place some wasabi paste in your dish of soy sauce and only slightly mix it. -- To be truthful I'll sear only part of my tuna. It's so good raw that I don't want to risk the whole thing!

Do you have any additional accompaniment suggestions besides the tomato-avocado salad?

p.s. definitely not into edamams.
I made seared tuna recently. For a side, I made sesame noodles topped with spicy pickled julienned zucchini, summer squash and onion. I have also served it with Chinese cucumber salad - sliced cucumbers marinated in rice wine vinegar, a little water, a dab or soy sauce, and sesame oil, sprinkled with sesame seeds to serve.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #26
Head Chef

OMG Sea Urchin GONADS!?!?!

OK well, I said I would try anything once...
Old 08-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot to mention ceviche - I don't give a if the lemon is "supposedly cooking" the 'whatever' - I cannot wrap my brain around it - sorry but that is still raw and able to crawl with all it's inherent nasties. (shudder)

Back in the day I can still remember my grandmother & mother using lemon juice to wipe down the chicken. It was (and is) a way to remove surface bacteria. I still do it on occasion, especially in the cavity of fowl. But if you soaked the bird in lemon juice - it didn't mean the darn thing was cooked!
That's too bad. Ceviche is one of my favorite foods It's hardly crawling And of course, a whole chicken isn't remotely like thinly sliced seafood. Seafood is much less dense than chicken. Mmm. I need to head for the fishmonger this week. Maybe get some fresh scallops.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #28
Head Chef

It was an interesting experience. Cleaning and picking out the uni was fun. I'd have it again though, especially if somebody else cleaned it for me!
Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:

and now I'm off to go and google uni.
What about carpaccio or tartare? Umm, carpaccio over arugula with parm shavings. There's also a restaurant we go to once in a while that dresses it with a vinaigrette that uses the tiny capers. Don't usually like them but they seem to go with the carpaccio.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
It was an interesting experience. Cleaning and picking out the uni was fun. I'd have it again though, especially if somebody else cleaned it for me!

As I have said - I'll try anything ... once...

Tags
supper