Saturday Supper - 8/20/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG I was simplifying my explanation for those without a BS degree. I took 2 years of chemistry in college. I don't expect those without science training to understand a detailed explanation.

And I was going to invoke Maillard until GG mentioned it. To add to his comments, eat some raw meat and see. Doesn't taste very good, does it? Raw tuna doesn't taste good to me either until I add the wasabi and soy sauce. The wasabi makes it spicy/hot and the soy sauce adds salty and umami tastes.

Which begs the question, "Who's umami?" ROTFLMAO! :) (got Google?)

The best way I've found to cook a steak (e.g. rib eye) is 120°F for 2 hours in my Sous Vide then a quick sear on a cast iron pan or grill pan. The 120 for 2 denatures the proteins and the quick sear does the Maillard thing, and in fact I think tomorrow is the right day for it for me! :)

I like my steaks somewhere between rare and medium rare. And some wasabi with that, please! :P

Last edited:
I love raw foods such as sushi, sashimi, ceviche and carpaccio.

I also love cooked foods like grilled/broiled/fried fish and beef.

Freezing fish kills any parasites that may be in the fish. However, if that fish is contaminated with any other nasties, you could be in trouble. It take cooking to kill these other nasties.

Making ceviche with citrus juices changes the texture of fish so it looks cooked. It is referred to as "cooking" but it is not cooking. Cooking requires the application of heat to food. As Alton Brown once said, "Food plus Heat Equals Cooking"

Beef can carry nasties that are not eliminated by freezing, such as e. coli. So if you eat raw beef that is contaminated, you can become ill. Cooking that beef will eliminate that danger.

So you have to be comfortable with the quality of the fish and meat you eat without the benefit of cooking in order to remain safe.

GG I was simplifying my explanation for those without a BS degree. I took 2 years of chemistry in college. I don't expect those without science training to understand a detailed explanation.

Really? I think that's rather condescending of you. I haven't taken chemistry since high school, but I can certainly understand a good explanation. I've been reading Cooks Illustrated and The Food Lab for many years and have a very good understanding of food science.

And I was going to invoke Maillard until GG mentioned it. To add to his comments...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you think I'm a man, since I obviously have a good grasp of science :rolleyes:

You seem to get tweaked off too easily. Really I think you take this too seriously and are too easily offended. "He" is often used when the gender of the referred person is unknown. It's a basic feature of English grammar.

Hey I am a member on some soapmaking forums and members always refer to me as "she." Perhaps only 5 percent of soapmaking forum members are men. Do I care? No. (I don't use my real first name in those forums.)

For the record, I am a feminist and I often follow the rule that the right man for the job is often a woman. Actually in my opinion, more often than not. My business often brings me in contact with Realtors and almost 100% of the time I prefer working with women because I believe women relate to real estate as homes while men relate to real estate as houses. One is a place to live, the other is a thing to sell.

One funny story, {forget it, I made my point}.

Last edited:

You seem to get tweaked off too easily. Really I think you take this too seriously and are too easily offended. "He" is often used when the gender of the referred person is unknown. It's a basic feature of English grammar.

I'm not surprised you think that, since you have quite a high opinion of yourself and a low opinion of others. Taking it upon yourself to "simplify" an explanation because you think people without a bachelor's degree won't understand it is offensive. It's not as if we're discussing hyper-specific PhD-level biochemistry here.

Good job ignoring the primary issue, though.

Last edited:
+1, Kay and GG. :rolleyes:

Greg, I'm amazed that you've been here nearly 6 years and haven't come out of your own little bubble enough to know that GG is a she. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I'll join the +s. Already told GG "you go girl" after the first condescending remark. SHE wasn't the only one who had that thought.

Ah, lately it seems several posters have very high opinions of themselves. Most often, when I read one of their posts, a Shania Twain song pops into my head. I'm sure you can figure out which one.:rolleyes: The first verse is most applicable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom