Saturday Supper - 8/20/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made one of Mom's favorite hotdishes, with burger, rice, sauerkraut, and tomato soup. Sounds disgusting, but I like it.

And coffee ice cream.

Last edited:
The SC found a half price flank steak and it's been so long since I've cooked one it took me some time to decide what to do. I like the sound of this, so I cut it into thin strips and after marinating, I'll string them on skewers and grill them. Sides will be stir fried veggies on the side burner with steamed jasmine rice for the SC.

Here's the marinade..

• 1/4 cup Gochujang
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed

• 3 cloves garlic, grated.

Last edited:
Homemade special fried rice per the recipe I previously posted on DC. We added bean sprouts this time.

Seared Ahi Tuna and Tomato Avocado Salad.

img_1476827_0_9620c3eb02b49462ef39a5e72d49e372.jpg

Nice looking tuna, Steve. Did you marinate/baste it with a soy sauce kind of thing? I was wondering, since you have sesame seeds sprinkled on top. I did our tuna last night with a very generous *cough cough* coating of Spice House's "Florida Seasoned Pepper". I keep meaning to do an Asian inspired version, but I keep forgetting.

I'm making big garden salads, plus a pot of corn chowder. We'll be eating even later than usual - we just packed Himself and his telescope and other gear into his car, so we he will probably be eating around 11:00 PM. I'm not going to last that long...:LOL:

Steve I'm curious, how much heat inside? I still plan to take a sinfully large slab of sushi grade tuna and giving it a quick sear (maybe just one side) and serve it with wasabi and soy sauce.

I'm having one of my standards: soy-honey-onion pork slices (tenderloin? I forgot.) I make a marinade out of minced onion, soy sauce and honey. I use THICK soy sauce for part of it if I can get it (thicker and sweeter than like Kikkoman), start out with the thick sauce, onion and honey, then stir and thin it out until reaches just so, and stir in my thin sliced pork to marinate. It takes but a few minutes under the broiler, flip and baste with remaining sauce. If you have any remaining sauce, heat it to sterilize, then add to pan juices and serve as dipping sauce.

White rice (preferably jasmine) and a nice vegetable with that please! Lima beans tonight. I like my Limas with butter, salt and pepper. Why is Kroger's calling them Southern Style now? Same old Limas I've always bought.

One nice feature of this menu is you mix the sauce and marinate, and when you are ready to eat it takes not much more than 20 minutes from cold to plate!

Fabulous looking tuna dinner, Steve. :yum:

I just finished building a loaded up salad for dinner which will be in a minute or two. I had some rye bread that needed to be used, so this afternoon I cubed that up and roasted some croutons.

Went to the local farm stand this morning and among other goodies, got 3 fresh-picked-this-morning muskmelons. OMGosh. I've been waiting for these for a couple of weeks now. Their sweet aroma filled my car for the 2 miles home. :LOL: So half of one of those babies will be a side for my salad.

Probably a cup of mango frozen yogurt for dessert later on, with a movie.

Last edited:
Nice looking tuna, Steve. Did you marinate/baste it with a soy sauce kind of thing? I was wondering, since you have sesame seeds sprinkled on top. I did our tuna last night with a very generous *cough cough* coating of Spice House's "Florida Seasoned Pepper". I keep meaning to do an Asian inspired version, but I keep forgetting.
CG, I make up a 3:1 mix of soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, along with a little ginger and garlic, and just marinate it for 30 minutes. Before I put it in the pan I also give it light salting, because the soy doesn't really penetrate like salt does.

Steve I'm curious, how much heat inside? I still plan to take a sinfully large slab of sushi grade tuna and giving it a quick sear (maybe just one side) and serve it with wasabi and soy sauce.
Greg, it's raw on the inside. I only do a 30 second sear on each side and the edges. When it comes to tuna, I usually serve it with either ponzu or wasabi mayo. I didn't happen to have either on hand today, so it went on the plate au naturel.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. It sounds easy enough to remember - but I may end up sending you a PM if I forget when I want to use it. :D

I decided to make the salads into dinner salads, adding in the leftover tuna and splitting a random hard-cooked egg that was an extra from earlier in the week. My intention was to fill our tummies so much that we want only a small serving of chowder...leaving lots of chowder for tomorrow or Monday. We'll see how my plan works.

Attachments

• 2016-08-20 22.35.32.jpg
    2016-08-20 22.35.32.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 104
The SC found a half price flank steak and it's been so long since I've cooked one it took me some time to decide what to do. I like the sound of this, so I cut it into thin strips and after marinating, I'll string them on skewers and grill them. Sides will be stir fried veggies on the side burner with steamed jasmine rice for the SC.

Here's the marinade..

• 1/4 cup Gochujang
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed

• 3 cloves garlic, grated.

The meat was wonderful and flavorful, quickly grilled. I changed plans slightly by doing Asian riced cauliflower for us both with all the bells and whistles. My treat, and his, are the wonderful shrimp toasts from TJ's.. they are just outstanding, and I could afford the small amount of carbs today.

img_1476861_0_9ad0954e1352a0cafebb7a6dff16a48f.jpg

Last edited:
Gads, I'm so pleased with tonight's supper am posting twice...:LOL:

Scallops, shrimp, spinach, mushrooms, grapefruit, oranges... and what I had earlier been calling a marinade should probably be called a vinaigrette.. although it was used to baste the skewers

52144-albums1052-picture6653.jpg

I had a beautiful red snapper, but DW isn't crazy about fish. She'll eat it, but I usually have to 'enhance ' it in some way.

Tonight I seared the inside in a screaming hot CI skillet, then topped it with a Thai chili ginger sauce and transferred it to a hot love to finish. I served it with a suffocated of corn,black beans and edamame.

I made bbq pulled pork sandwhiches with homemade coleslaw and bread and butter pickles. The sauce was a red plum, red onion, cherry pepper, balsamic reduction.

I had a beautiful red snapper, but DW isn't crazy about fish. She'll eat it, but I usually have to 'enhance ' it in some way.

Tonight I seared the inside in a screaming hot CI skillet, then topped it with a Thai chili ginger sauce and transferred it to a hot love to finish. I served it with a suffocated of corn,black beans and edamame.

I hate spell check. I seared the skin. Transferred to a hot oven. Served with succotash.

Hmm, since your DW doesn't care for fish, Silversage, I figured the "suffocated of corn..." was accurate. ;)

I managed to translate the "hot love" to "hot oven", but was completely stumped on what it was that autocorrect mangled so that you could sear the inside of something. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom