Saturday Supper 9-23-2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Himself is off doing his astronomy thing down on the Farm (with the corn field maze and ice cream stand), so we'll be eating later than late tonight. Simple supper of mushroom and mozz cheese omelet, homemade applesauce, a bit of ham, and toast. Scoring a dozen eggs for 49 cents and 8-oz mushrooms for 79 cents means we could be having this again in the next week. I love Aldi!

What's sup at your place?

Wow CG, SCORE!!
The cheapest I've EVER seen eggs here in the middle of the desert was 68¢ a dozen, well not counting free from Missus Dear Friend ;)

I wish DH would eat breakfast for dinner, nope! Won't do it! He has to have breakfast items no later than 10am, that's the rule :LOL:
Me, I'd love to have sup with you two guys!
Do you make chunky applesauce? My Great Grandmother taught me to make it with nice chunks of apple, not all pureed, ya know? I think I need to make us a batch!!!

For our evening repast, it will be some leftover chunked grilled b/s Chicken Thighs atop of, as y'all say, glorified salad with some homemade vinaigrette and Trader Joe's French Demi Baguette Artisan Bread, MMM!
Dessert will (or really has been all day today) my early purchase of Halloween candy :LOL: Umm, I think I'm going to have to go out and get more :stuart:

Well, I took out a chicken breast so that so I could have a chicken tostada, but I never got the refried beans going. Then I took out a pound of hamburger to make Hamburger Helper, but it was plain that the hamburger was going to remain stubbornly frozen until January of 2019. Then I saw the crock pot macaroni recipes and I thought I might try that again. Problem is, if I use up all my cheese for that, I won't have any for the chicken tostada when the chicken breast finally thaws tomorrow. Besides, I have to use up that lettuce....

So maybe I'll just have a peanut butter sandwich.

Pizza

39817-albums371-picture7119.jpg

Day #2 in Dallas. I did a 4 hour walking restaurant tour with a group in Dallas' uptown area today. We ended up sampling food at 5 different restaurants. Mostly it was small bites, and there were some things I didn't eat because of my own dietary preferences (although I did have a nibble of everything). Places we went:

• The Rustic
  • Baboush
  • Klyde Warren Park (Although there were a ton of food trucks, we didn't eat at this stop. We just sat for a while to people watch and have some drinks)
  • Tacos and Tequila
  • McKinney Avenue Tavern
  • Bisous Bisous Pâtisserie

It was a whirlwind trip. I left the last restaurant at 2:30 and drove from there to the airport to catch a flight home. I didn't spend a lot of time in the Big D, but the time I did spend was very enjoyable.

cPt2ZSU.jpg

We had my favorite sandwich for dinner - BLTs!

When I worked in downtown Dallas, I would go to this place in Deep Ellum called Cafe Brazil every morning for their really good coffee. It was a dollar a cup, and it was self-serve, on the honor system. You filled your cup, and dropped a dollar into a big glass fishbowl.

I sometimes went there for lunch, and always had their BLT. It was loaded with thick cut locally sourced bacon, and it it was the most amazing BLT I have ever had.

I love a good BLT.

CD

Day #2 in Dallas. I did a 4 hour walking restaurant tour with a group in Dallas' uptown area today. We ended up sampling food at 5 different restaurants. Mostly it was small bites, and there were some things I didn't eat because of my own dietary preferences (although I did have a nibble of everything). Places we went:

• The Rustic
  • Baboush
  • Klyde Warren Park (Although there were a ton of food trucks, we didn't eat at this stop. We just sat for a while to people watch and have some drinks)
  • Tacos and Tequila
  • McKinney Avenue Tavern
  • Bisous Bisous Pâtisserie

It was a whirlwind trip. I left the last restaurant at 2:30 and drove from there to the airport to catch a flight home. I didn't spend a lot of time in the Big D, but the time I did spend was very enjoyable.

I've lived in Dallas for 30 years, and have not been to one of those places. I have driven UNDER Klyde Warren Park many times, but haven't gone there.

I don't get to Uptown very often. My business is usually in the Deep Ellum area, or in the design district. Uptown sits kind-of between them.

Glad you enjoyed Dallas.

CD

It was great time. I have to say the best thing I saw all weekend was this goggle-wearing dog in a sidecar. Apparently his name is Nelson! :LOL:

photo-2.jpg

That looks like McKinney Avenue. Did you ride the trolley? :LOL:

CD

Last edited:
My son was really disappointed when he found out that I had to go in early for a 17 hour shift today. He wanted to play street hockey this afternoon, then had an away football game tonight and thought I was going to miss it.

But I skipped eating and took my dinner breaks together and raced like hell to catch the 2nd half of his game. He was pleasantly surprised to see me in the stands.

I have yet to miss a single game, or performance, or award ceremony or anything in his short 13 years.

Thank God all of the cops on at the Lincoln Tunnel and on the highways were already busy giving out tickets to other poor slobs as I raced past them there and back. I didn't know my old truck could still go that fast. :cool:

Anyway, by the time I got back to work all of the Sports catering was gone, so I ran out and picked up a hot open turkey sandwich with stuffing and roasted cauliflower from a local diner.

Done and done. :)

I ended up making a very simply crock pot mac and cheese because I didn't have any Velveeta or some of the other things the other recipes called for. It turned out much better than I thought, but I still wasn't happy with the taste. It was good, but it was just "off" somehow. All I had was cheddar cheese and not very good cheddar at that, so I don't know if it was the cheddar or the evaporated milk. I'd like to try this again, but I'm not sure what to change on it. All that was in there were 2 cups of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 1/2 cups of cheddar, some salt, and the can of evaporated milk, besides the noodles.

Anyway, I got three servings out of it - two of which went into the freezer. So I guess I need to get at those refried beans tomorrow.

Steve, I love Nelson! That is one cool dog. I hope he gets to wear a nice wool scarf when the weather cools off.

rr, I've made only one mac&cheese that called for evaporated milk. We didn't like the flavor at all. I use regular milk all the time now.

...Do you make chunky applesauce...
I use the tired apples from the fruit drawer, peel, and chop up finely. Just simmer it in a pot with enough water (or apple juice/cider, if you have some) so that they don't stick to the bottom, and put a lid on it. You can toss in whatever spices you want, too. Every once in a while I'll stir and smash down the apples, using just a rubber scraper. That's all.

A photo of tonight's plate. K-Girl, please make special note of the sprinkling of Hawaiian Black Lava Salt (a treat from me-to me from my Spice House order).

Attachments

• 20170924_000412.jpg
    20170924_000412.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 145
had some friends over for Steaks and shrimp. their son, who was in the youth group with my daughter, just got a job in Anderson SC as a full time youth minister. What a great young man. we had a celebration dinner with baked taters, cantaloupe and death by chocolate mousse as a dessert. A great time.

Mom had a can of Hickory Smoked Beenie Weenie's with finely diced Videlia onion. I had an English Muffin pizza along with a salad and Pumpkin Pie Greek yogurt for supper.

My cooking rut continues... We finished off the remainder of polish sausage and mac salad..

I intend to make a real meal today (Sunday) of something chicken, sauteed veggies, etc...

Or maybe we will have BLT's...

Ross

OMGosh, I love Nelson and his goggles, what a great pic! :LOL: Wonderful looking array of food and drinks too, Steve. I love impromptu trips - those are often the best. :)

Joey....your pizzas always look so good! :yum:

CG...good lookin' dinner there. That's how I make applesauce as well. Just a quick and easy chop, simmer, and light mash, and ever since I discovered Penzey's Apple Pie spice blend :yum:, I use that for the flavor - makes it doubly easy and that stuff is soooo good.

Back
Top Bottom