"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Master Chef

Saturday Supper 9-23-2017

Himself is off doing his astronomy thing down on the Farm (with the corn field maze and ice cream stand), so we'll be eating later than late tonight. Simple supper of mushroom and mozz cheese omelet, homemade applesauce, a bit of ham, and toast. Scoring a dozen eggs for 49 cents and 8-oz mushrooms for 79 cents means we could be having this again in the next week. I love Aldi!

What's sup at your place?

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Wow CG, SCORE!!
The cheapest I've EVER seen eggs here in the middle of the desert was 68˘ a dozen, well not counting free from Missus Dear Friend

I wish DH would eat breakfast for dinner, nope! Won't do it! He has to have breakfast items no later than 10am, that's the rule
Me, I'd love to have sup with you two guys!
Do you make chunky applesauce? My Great Grandmother taught me to make it with nice chunks of apple, not all pureed, ya know? I think I need to make us a batch!!!

For our evening repast, it will be some leftover chunked grilled b/s Chicken Thighs atop of, as y'all say, glorified salad with some homemade vinaigrette and Trader Joe's French Demi Baguette Artisan Bread, MMM!
Dessert will (or really has been all day today) my early purchase of Halloween candy Umm, I think I'm going to have to go out and get more

Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Head Chef

Well, I took out a chicken breast so that so I could have a chicken tostada, but I never got the refried beans going. Then I took out a pound of hamburger to make Hamburger Helper, but it was plain that the hamburger was going to remain stubbornly frozen until January of 2019. Then I saw the crock pot macaroni recipes and I thought I might try that again. Problem is, if I use up all my cheese for that, I won't have any for the chicken tostada when the chicken breast finally thaws tomorrow. Besides, I have to use up that lettuce....

So maybe I'll just have a peanut butter sandwich.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Craig made pot roast with carrots, parsnips, pots, turnips, and mushies,
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

We had my favorite sandwich for dinner - BLTs!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
Head Chef

Pizza

Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Day #2 in Dallas. I did a 4 hour walking restaurant tour with a group in Dallas' uptown area today. We ended up sampling food at 5 different restaurants. Mostly it was small bites, and there were some things I didn't eat because of my own dietary preferences (although I did have a nibble of everything). Places we went:
  • The Rustic
  • Baboush
  • Klyde Warren Park (Although there were a ton of food trucks, we didn't eat at this stop. We just sat for a while to people watch and have some drinks)
  • Tacos and Tequila
  • McKinney Avenue Tavern
  • Bisous Bisous Pâtisserie

It was a whirlwind trip. I left the last restaurant at 2:30 and drove from there to the airport to catch a flight home. I didn't spend a lot of time in the Big D, but the time I did spend was very enjoyable.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We had my favorite sandwich for dinner - BLTs!
When I worked in downtown Dallas, I would go to this place in Deep Ellum called Cafe Brazil every morning for their really good coffee. It was a dollar a cup, and it was self-serve, on the honor system. You filled your cup, and dropped a dollar into a big glass fishbowl.

I sometimes went there for lunch, and always had their BLT. It was loaded with thick cut locally sourced bacon, and it it was the most amazing BLT I have ever had.

I love a good BLT.

CD
Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Day #2 in Dallas. I did a 4 hour walking restaurant tour with a group in Dallas' uptown area today. We ended up sampling food at 5 different restaurants. Mostly it was small bites, and there were some things I didn't eat because of my own dietary preferences (although I did have a nibble of everything). Places we went:
  • The Rustic
  • Baboush
  • Klyde Warren Park (Although there were a ton of food trucks, we didn't eat at this stop. We just sat for a while to people watch and have some drinks)
  • Tacos and Tequila
  • McKinney Avenue Tavern
  • Bisous Bisous Pâtisserie

It was a whirlwind trip. I left the last restaurant at 2:30 and drove from there to the airport to catch a flight home. I didn't spend a lot of time in the Big D, but the time I did spend was very enjoyable.
I've lived in Dallas for 30 years, and have not been to one of those places. I have driven UNDER Klyde Warren Park many times, but haven't gone there.

I don't get to Uptown very often. My business is usually in the Deep Ellum area, or in the design district. Uptown sits kind-of between them.

Glad you enjoyed Dallas.

CD
Old 09-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Glad you enjoyed Dallas.
It was great time. I have to say the best thing I saw all weekend was this goggle-wearing dog in a sidecar. Apparently his name is Nelson!

Tags
supper