Saturday Supper, August 25th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1.

salt and pepper, looks delicious. what is that in the middle?

since we had a big hunk of roast beef leftover from the other day, i decided to make nyc style cheesesteaks, a.k.a. a balboa.

img_1180708_0_79eaa4fb1ecde828bd7e0b2b69358573.jpg

i made a compound butter out of chopped garlic, dried oregano, dried parsley, fresh basil, and of course softened butter. that was spread on a split italian loaf, toasted until the butter melted in, then chopped roast beef, raw red onion, and american cheese was placed on top and it was toasted again to melt the cheese. man, it was good!

That looks delicious Tom :chef:

I think you need a bigger boat...
Do you hear that? It's the Jaws theme!!

+1.

salt and pepper, looks delicious. what is that in the middle?

since we had a big hunk of roast beef leftover from the other day, i decided to make nyc style cheesesteaks, a.k.a. a balboa.

img_1180757_0_79eaa4fb1ecde828bd7e0b2b69358573.jpg

i made a compound butter out of chopped garlic, dried oregano, dried parsley, fresh basil, and of course softened butter. that was spread on a split italian loaf, toasted until the butter melted in, then chopped roast beef, raw red onion, and american cheese was placed on top and it was toasted again to melt the cheese. man, it was good!
YUMMY Rocky!!

So, I made the crock pot spaghetti sauce that I posted earlier. It turned out great. I did add the butter at the end like it said, but I have never seen that or done that. Has anyone ever added butter to meat sauce before? I have made it and added EVOO, but never butter. It was good with the butter but I just didn't know why it called for that. Anybody??

i've seen recipes that call for sauteeing onions and garlic in butter first, then adding the tomatoes. no olive oil used at all.

it gives the sauce a slightly creamier texture, and slightly different taste.

i like them both, but again, there's not much of a difference.

buckytom said:
i've seen recipes that call for sauteeing onions and garlic in butter first, then adding the tomatoes. no olive oil used at all.

it gives the sauce a slightly creamier texture, and slightly different taste.

i like them both, but again, there's not much of a difference.

Thanks. I guess I will just do it either way depending on my mood.

I made a version of Emeril Lagasse's Pasta with Peas and Bacon. I sauteed 2 cloves of garlic, half of a chopped yellow bell pepper, and about 1/2 cup chopped red onions, then added the half and half (instead of cream), 1 cup peas, 1/3 cup bacon, and Parmesan cheese. Stirred, reduced, added about 3 cups of leftover penne with a meat sauce (much of which had been absorbed into the penne) and finished with a handful of chopped basil from the garden. It was delicious :)

So, I made the crock pot spaghetti sauce that I posted earlier. It turned out great. I did add the butter at the end like it said, but I have never seen that or done that. Has anyone ever added butter to meat sauce before? I have made it and added EVOO, but never butter. It was good with the butter but I just didn't know why it called for that. Anybody??
Chopper, in classic cuisine you add some butter at the end of cooking (after heat is turned off) to add richness and "shine" to a sauce. It is called Monté au beurre, or beurre monté. This is the best description that is easy to understand - others go into percentage of emulsion, etc. But all you need to know is it makes any sauce richer and shiny. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom