Saturday Supper ~ March 29, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't know about you guys, but there is no way I could skip a day of eating. I've got a huge kettle of minestrone simmering on the stove, its scent wafting through the air like those cartoon images, drawing me to the pot to sniff and stir. :LOL: I plan on making spinach salad and garlic toast to have too, but sometimes the best-laid plans of mice and women...:whistling

What was/is/will be your Saturday evening repast?

We had my "I hate pasta, pasta." Basically, I took three of the homemade sausages (hot hungarian), cooked those and then sliced them. One litre jar of tomatoes (from the garden), a pint of homemade salsa, black olives, marinated artichoke hearts, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic, about 1-1/2 cups of the mixed beans I made for my salad earlier in the week (kidney beans, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, white kidney beans, romano beans, lima beans) and rigatoni pasta. I mixed that all up last night (after the pasta cooled), put it in a baking dish. I tossed in grated moz. cheese and parm, fresh spinach and fresh tomatoes, lemon zest, and baked that for about 20 minutes at 375. For pasta, it was okay, but then I'm not a pasta eater...everyone else thought it was great.

Last edited:
SO was gone all day visiting her brother and she woke me when she called to tell me she was on her way home. I suggested she pick up Chinese take-out on her way home. She did not object.

For dinner I am grilling some Johnsonville sausages, toasting some rolls, sauteing some diced red pepper, potatoes and onions, and roasting some garlic for a mayo and mustard spread.

We had shaved beef sandwiches au jus with a salad.

The makings of the jus

img_1354619_0_2847816e1a8135e14b0510a622abca96.jpg

And plated.

img_1354619_1_85b3e8d14a51b7328bc1a8ade6fb656c.jpg

It's been raining here all day, but I wanted ribs.
I cooked them in the oven and they were edible but definitely not as good as in the smoker.

Oh, yummy, PPO and Rocket. Looks amazing! :yum:

My 3 year old grandson was here for dinner tonight while his mama attended a baby shower, so I had what he had. Macaroni and cheese, steamed carrots and string beans, oranges, watermelon, and strawberry ice cream for dessert.

Very nice, RJ and PPO! Roasted cauliflower soup from last night here.

I did an over night cook (started late Friday night) on the Egg. Two large butts. Karen brought back a good bit of pecan from her trip to MS. Love pork butts done using pecan. Last night was pulled pork sammies, potato salad and homemade 1/2 sours.

Last edited:
It's been raining here all day, but I wanted ribs.
I cooked them in the oven and they were edible but definitely not as good as in the smoker.

The first time I made ribs in the oven, I used smoked paprika in the rub. When DH tasted them, he thought they tasted smoked, although we don't have a smoker :LOL: They were really good.

We lost power yesterday around 5 p.m. When it wasn't back on by 7 p.m., we decided to go out for dinner at a sports bar that has good food but a slow kitchen. We had fried oysters with sweet chili sauce for an appetizer, then DH had smoked ribs and I had fried chicken.

I have half an eye round to roast using Craig's method. There were two half's in the package from Costco. I no longer have the packaging.

Trouble is, I have no idea how much it weighs. I think its between 2 and 3 pounds.
I will treat it as if its 2 pounds and check temp at 2 hours.

Does anyone have a way to check the weight of this roast without a scale?
I could take it to the store and have them weigh it, but it seems to check it at 2 hours would be much easier.

I have half an eye round to roast using Craig's method. There were two half's in the package from Costco. I no longer have the packaging.

Trouble is, I have no idea how much it weighs. I think its between 2 and 3 pounds.
I will treat it as if its 2 pounds and check temp at 2 hours.

Does anyone have a way to check the weight of this roast without a scale?
I could take it to the store and have them weigh it, but it seems to check it at 2 hours would be much easier.
If you have a board and a 2 lb bag of sugar and a 3 lb can of coffee, you can do the see-saw method of weighing. I'm pretty good at "guestimating" by hand, but the see-saw method comes to mind. You could do the rope over the beam method with a weight and when the roast lifts the weight to equal height, that's how much your roast weighs, approximately...

If you have a board and a 2 lb bag of sugar and a 3 lb can of coffee, you can do the see-saw method of weighing. I'm pretty good at "guestimating" by hand, but the see-saw method comes to mind. You could do the rope over the beam method with a weight and when the roast lifts the weight to equal height, that's how much your roast weighs, approximately...

You are the genius aren't you? Thanks so much for the seesaw idea.

Internal 140F = Rare right?

Stir-fried lamb's liver and red onions and more braised red cabbage. Followed by New York cheesecake (shop bought) and B&J's peanut cup ice cream.

I love lamb's liver, cooked lightly of course, not cooked to death and all powdery like it was at school.

Keep in mind that the two-pound bag of sugar and the three-pound can of coffee don't weigh two and three pounds. You'd have to guess the weights of the containers and subtract them. Then you'd have to ensure the fulcrum of the see-saw was at the exact mid-point of the see-saw board.

The rope over the beam works better if you have a pulley for the rope. Otherwise, the friction of the rope on the beam would skew the experiment.

Stick with the thermometer. I go with about 120ºF for rare and let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting.

Back
Top Bottom