Saturday Suppin' ~ September 24, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I've got a lazy supper going for tonight - corned beef in the slow cooker. Himself expects to be stargazing all evening tonight (last night he basically went for a nice ride-clouds had moved in by the time he got to the corn maze), so I'll eat when it's ready and he can eat later. Corned beef, etc, is a great leftover dish. :yum: Fresh loaf of rye bread for sopping up the juices. In my opinion, that's the best part. That, and those corned beef cooked carrots. I could eat a pound by myself. :pig:

What's on your table tonight?

I spent nearly 2 hours in the pool and realized I'd better get my raisined-up fingers into the house and make the eggplant Parmesan I'd planned.

The only 2 nice-sized eggplant we harvested from our garden were my targets. We would've had more 'cept the daggone deer decided our garden was their buffet line.

Anywho, the eggplant dish turned out perfectly and I'm really looking forward to tonight's meal. Not sure what sides we'll have. I'll just forage and see what pops out.

Fresh tomato chopped, bacon crispy in 1 inch pieces, mayo dressing, in a bowl.

My neighbor Mike organized a block party which will be taking place this evening around 6 on his large front yard/patio. :) Mike will be grilling burgers and hot dogs and providing all the condiments, and there will be around 20 attending and bringing a dish. I know most of the folks on this small block, and trust their cooking. :LOL:

I made a huge pasta salad loaded with veggies (and bacon), and it's been getting happy in the fridge this afternoon. Couldn't ask for a better day to get together with the neighbors - no wind, and a bright blue sky. Looking forward to it. :)

A combined effort to make Mushroom pie with sour cream crust (me dough stuff, Craig filling) and Craig made a lovely salad that I filled up on and could only eat 1 small piece of the pie. :mad:

37240-albums1041-picture6691.jpg

37240-albums1041-picture6692.jpg

Pretty pie, Med and Craig.

I'm making my ground sirloin, rice, sauerkraut, and tomato soup thing.

We're getting takeout from our local Greek place - Pegasus wings (seasoned and grilled wings with tzatziki sauce) and a gyro platter with Greek rice. We'll share both.

SIL&BIL came by late afternoon for drinks and appys. We had shrimp, pizza, spinach dip and orange chicken bites. That was also dinner.

I cooked some sausage in the cast iron with some olive oil and fresh garlic then I put the sausage in some pasta sauce that was simmering. Served atop rigatoni pasta with a healthy amount of parmesan cheese on top with a side of green beans and some French bread.

Tomorrow I am going to do a chuck roast in the slow cooker Mississippi style -- butter, peppercinis, packet of au jus mix and a packet of ranch. With some taters and carrots thrown in.

Last edited:
A combined effort to make Mushroom pie with sour cream crust (me dough stuff, Craig filling)

OMG... recipe please!!! please! and pretty please?

both the crust and filling

that looks sooo delish!

I was trying to make another Tomato Tart Tatine to freeze for next weekend. The dough is made, the tomato sliced, the olives chopped, the cheese shredded, adding a new element of 'melted' leeks, but...

Ended up yakking for several hours with a High School girlfriend with whom I only talk about once a year.

Tart ingredients were stashed back in the fridge and supper was turned into a bottle of Chardonnay topped off with some Pinot Gris.

Ain't Life Grand!

A combined effort to make Mushroom pie with sour cream crust (me dough stuff, Craig filling) and Craig made a lovely salad that I filled up on and could only eat 1 small piece of the pie. :mad:

37240-albums1041-picture6691.jpg

37240-albums1041-picture6692.jpg

Oh my! Med/Craig PLEASE post the recipe for this mouth watering piece of heaven you call Mushroom Pie. That crust! The filling! OH MAN!

Delicious looking pie, medtran. :yum: I'll put in another vote for the recipes.

The corned beef I used was something I've never seen in the store - instead of a "flat" or a "point", it was a round. As in, it was a cured eye of round. :huh: Well, it was a special-with-$15 or more-purchase, so I figured what the heck? How could I go wrong for $1.99 a pound? I did seem a little saltier than the usual corned beef, but that just might have been because it was a different brand. We thought it was very good. Now if you're the type of person who likes the stringy nature of a brisket, or the runs of fat between the layers of meat, this kind probably isn't for you. We, on the other hand, really enjoyed it.

And...didn't I say I liked carrots? :LOL:

Attachments

• 2016-09-24 21.47.59.jpg
    2016-09-24 21.47.59.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 134
This recipe was from our "clippings" cookbook and was originally from a BA magazine. Here is the link.

MUSHROOM PIE WITH SOUR CREAM CRUST recipe | Epicurious.com

It calls for all criminis, but the oysters looked really good and the shitakis were right next to them. Next time, I'll either cook the shitakis separately longer or leave them out, as they were a little chewy. We will also change the cheese to a farmer's type and add some dry sherry. It was a really nice, flaky crust, but we will lower the temperature next time and cook it longer as the bottom crust wasn't quite cooked through. We just can't leave a recipe alone!:D

It was a really nice, flaky crust, but we will lower the temperature next time and cook it longer as the bottom crust wasn't quite cooked through... :

Can't remember where I got this hint from but it seems to work for me...

While you preheat your oven, also heat a cookie sheet at the same time. Place your pie on this hot sheet to bake.

Of course now I will be trying my baking stones.. :mrgreen:

Can't remember where I got this hint from but it seems to work for me...

While you preheat your oven, also heat a cookie sheet at the same time. Place your pie on this hot sheet to bake.

Of course now I will be trying my baking stones.. :mrgreen:

Our one and only sheet pan was occupied and on the rack below the pie. That might have had something to do with it as well.:LOL:

I now bake pies on the lowest rack position. I place a half sheet pan on the rack and preheat it in the oven. Works for me.

Our one and only sheet pan was occupied and on the rack below the pie. That might have had something to do with it as well.:LOL:

I have three sheet pans :LOL: One year, I left two of them at the lodge at the state park where we take teachers every year for the class DH teaches, and someone helpfully put them on top of the kitchen cabinets where I couldn't see them. I bought a new one. The next year, my pans were still there, so I took them back :ROFLMAO:

I have three sheet pans :LOL: One year, I left two of them at the lodge at the state park where we take teachers every year for the class DH teaches, and someone helpfully put them on top of the kitchen cabinets where I couldn't see them. I bought a new one. The next year, my pans were still there, so I took them back :ROFLMAO:

Karma was trying to tell you that 4th sheet pan was needed, in a round about sort of way.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom