Saturday the 13th dinner - 1/13/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whew - close call. Missed Friday the 13th by just one day.

Chicken marsala, served over egg noodles, nuked broc.
Ha - you're not superstitious, are you, tenspeed?

I have a T-bone steak happily dry-brining, twice-baked potatoes ready to go in the toaster oven and I'm frying bacon. Getting ready to make pearl onions caramelized in bacon grease, with peas and bacon. Homemade pain d'epi rolls, too.

Decisions, decisions. I just crammed stocked the refrigerator Wednesday and Thursday and couldn't decide what I wanted to make. Settled on two pots of soup: barley-mushroom with beef stock, and creamy chicken and wild rice with meat from a rotisserie chicken. Smells so good in here, and the moisture being added to the air is a nice bonus on this cold (21 F and dropping), dry day. If I can't find room in the fridge for the leftovers, I can always set the pots on the landing in the garage just outside the kitchen door. :LOL:

We’re having football food as we prepare to watch the Patriots later. SO made chicken and pulled pork sliders. Also jalapeño poppers.

Along with some steamed artichokes, we grazed on the fancy snacks I bought for NYE and we went to bed too early to eat.
The dipping sauce for the chokes was especially good with Best Foods mayo/lemon/herbs and a big shake of MSG (Accent) this time. I finally found some Kewpie mayo (yumm btw) but really pricey ($8) for everyday mayo, so I added the MSG to the Best Foods (Helmann's) and came close to the taste of Kewpie.

Last edited:
I decided to swing for the bleachers today, and made bibimbap. It is really a bit much for one person to prepare and cook, even with proper mise en place. And, wow, did I trash my kitchen.

But, it turned out well. It tasted good, and I have enough leftover for another meal.

CD

Attachments

• BBap800600.jpg
    BBap800600.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 137
I decided to swing for the bleachers today, and made bibimbap. It is really a bit much for one person to prepare and cook, even with proper mise en place. And, wow, did I trash my kitchen.

But, it turned out well. It tasted good, and I have enough leftover for another meal.

CD

Lol, Bibimbap is a a labor of love or a test of one's skill and patience. Or both.

That's why we go out for it.

I bought my wife the earthenware bowls used for Bibimbap last year. She looked at me and said, "So when are you making it?"

Nice job, tho. Looks really good.

Lol, Bibimbap is a a labor of love or a test of one's skill and patience. Or both.

That's why we go out for it.

I bought my wife the earthenware bowls used for Bibimbap last year. She looked at me and said, "So when are you making it?"

Nice job, tho. Looks really good.

Yeah, I'm going to stick to going out for it in the future.

I didn't have any stone bowls, or heavy earthenware bowls, so I had to settle for my everyday bowls from IKEA.

CD

Still, it looks great. You need some gochujang on the side.

So, speaking of free food (on another thread) my dinner is sausage and peppers, and some kind of weird lasagna made from layered ravioli, courtesy of the Sports Dept..

We are broadcasting tonight's Patriots playoff win... Er, I mean game. (I'm so sick of saying that)

Two soups is like two kids...can you really pick a favorite? (Well, as far as kids go, yes but...:whistling). So, a little of this (beef barley mushroom) and a little of that (creamy chicken with wild rice):

Attachments

• 20180113_214247.jpg
    20180113_214247.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180113_221100.jpg
    20180113_221100.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 93
Date night at the Maulden's. Daughter finally went back to college. Did some grilled Corvina with S&P, salad with homemade Strawberry Viny, asparagus wrapped in Bacon. Great time with the love of my life.

Back
Top Bottom