"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 09-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Master Chef
Saturday....what's for dinner? 9-13-14

I just fried up a few chicken thighs. Coated in a mixture of flour with a good amount of Penzey's "33rd and Galena" spice mix , then dipped in egg, then another coating of the flour mixture. Smells wonderful. Fried in a cast iron pan in veg oil. Baked potato with sour cream and chives, and sliced tomatoes and cucumbers will be on the side.

The rest of the chicken thighs will be for nibbling on over the weekend.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening?

Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Found a beautiful meaty 2 pound beef shank for $2.50...am busily waiting for it to become very tender for beef barley soup.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Master Chef
That sounds just wonderful Cheryl ! I love fried thighs done like that but I haven't wanted to spend that long over a hot stove lately. Dang it's hot here, and we're not really used to temps like this.

We're having Taco Salad tonight, with leftover taco meat from last night. I have a nice big avocado ready to slice all pretty on the top.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
Tonight's delights include cube steak cooked with onions and mushrooms with a tomato (V-8 juice) and sour cream sauce. A tossed salad will assuage my guilt for not eating more healthfully.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Master Chef
Yum....beef barley soup is something I haven't had in so long. I'd love a cube steak dinner too, and could go for taco salad any night of the week!

Kay, I've heard that it's unseasonably hot down where you are. It's warm here too, but not too bad for this time of year. Only in the 90's, and I guess I'm used to it. I don't fry chicken very often, but have had a hankerin' for cold fried chicken to nibble on for the next few days, so a few minutes over the stove is worth it for me.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Shopping pooped me out. I'll make a French omelette with cheese and scallions for supper.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm going to use the leftover fajita filling to make quesadillas. I just put guacamole in the fridge to let the flavors meld.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Head Chef
I'm still deciding
I have Chicken Pineapple sweet and sour to make, if I want. I bought two boneless chicken breasts today.
I'm dying to make sweet 'n sour pork one of these days.

I bought some companies sweet 'n sour packet mix to make my own sweet 'n sour pork.

I miss the La Choy brand Sweet 'n Sour Pork (discontinued long ago), so now I want to make my own.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
Head Chef
I overate yesterday so for my Saturday "dinner" had a bowl of organic muesli, banana sliced up, walnuts and organic coconut probiotic yogurt.

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Saturday....what's for dinner? 9-13-14

Vegetable stir fry with brown rice. The last two teaspoons of 5 layer chocolate dessert.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote