Saturday's dinner, 13 October 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i guess i'm the current caretaker of this thread. i'm back on days next week, so someone else will have to pick it up.

dw asked that we go out for german/octoberfest food tonight, so it shall be.

she's been craving sauerbraten, hot pickled red cabbage, potato pancakes with sour cream, and hot spiced applesauce.

i may go with the same, or it may be a wurst, or schnitzel.

in any case, we'll share a spaetzle.

so, whatcha cookin' or eating this samstag!

same as last saturday, but today is a world of difference from last saturday. We will be attending a bon fire, weinnie roast. I am taking macaroni salad. I expect to have one sausage dog, some fire roasted potaotes, some salad, and SMORES. We will be wearing insulated coveralls because the temp is to be in the 40's.. Last weeks' bonfire we were in shorts and sweating the whole time:wacko:

Tonight I'm making my Mexican baked chicken with a new side--Black Bean and Corn Bread Cobbler. If it turns out as well as it sounds, I'll post a link to the recipe.

I'm craving apple crisp for dessert, but I'm not sure if I'll have the free time to make it this afternoon. We're getting our first family pictures of the three of us!:) We have lots of pictures of just Sof, and lots of her with Mama or Daddy but not a single one of the 3 of us together. With her turning two next month I said it was about time we did!

Roasting a chicken w rosemary, lemon & garlic w roasted reds (garlic, rosemary, parsley Roasted Red Potatoes, broccoli souffle, sliced tomatoes w fresh ground black pepper, & buttered dinner rolls. Chocolate mousse for dessert.

Potato, sausage, and kale soup. Too bad I hadn't thought of bread earlier. It's little too late to be starting on bread.

I'm out of canned tomatoes, but I have a lot of fresh tomatoes. If they are still good, we will have porcupine meatballs. If not, swedish meatballs. Either will be served with mashed potatoes and greenbeans.

:)Barbara

was given a nice eye round roast from a local farmer...grass grazed beef...doing a pot roast with parsnips carrots onion yukon golds, a bit o Merlot and fresh marjoram ...the smell is so awesome right now...sure glad fall finally got here!

Gingered flank steak with snow peas and steamed rice and Sky-High chocolate pie

Last edited:
Market had some lovely center-cut filets of wild Alaskan salmon today. Couldn't resist. Broiled them with fresh thyme, lots of butter of lemon, & a final drizzle of Thai Sweet Chili sauce down the middle. Served them with beautiful buttered & seasoned yellow wax snap beans & a wonderful green salad with poppyseed vinaigrette & a goodly topping of toasted shelled sunflower seeds.

After the meal I prepared on Friday, both Lou and I were looking for some comfort food.

I made fried chicken which I soaked for hours in highly seasoned buttermilk. With that we had lemon zested roasted carrots, mashed potatoes, gravy spiked with sherry, oven roasted corn on the cob, and left over brioche.

One of my dinner guests from the previous night had brought a blueberry pie from The Little Pie Company in NYC. We had some of that for dessert. We also had a couple of open bottles of wine left from dinner. We finished the beaujolais with the chicken.

We went to an oyster roast/pig pickin' for a late lunch, so didn't feel like eating much for dinner last night. We just had leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes with Knorr's brown gravy. Meatloaf was still awesome - I'm so glad fall is here :)

Back
Top Bottom