Saturday's Supper; 1/18/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What weird green veggie??

Anyway, as for my food this evening.... er... well it was a bit pathetic really. For the last three Saturdays I have been trying to make a simple loaf of white bread. Don't laugh!! Making bread is not only an art, but also a science! And I was rubbish at those in school...:ermm:

So this evening's effort came out of the tin and my brother and I cut very warm slices, slathered them in butter (and cheese) and scoffed them. :)

That sounds delicious! Nothing quite like warm bread straight out of the oven :yum:

Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

That sounds delicious! Nothing quite like warm bread straight out of the oven :yum:

Each time I have learned something and the end product has been better, so I intend to prevail! :LOL:

I have also learned you need to wait at least a FEW minutes before trying to cut a fresh loaf.... :ermm:

"Multiple person" :huh:
Is that the politically correct way of saying schizo? :LOL:

(I knew what you meant) ;) Apparently they only had cake?
And you just teminded me I forget to get some good cheese when I was into the store today. Shoot.
A bunch of my friends who have birthdays in January put on a "radio play" every year. They call it Capricornicopia. They write it. Lots of the attendees perform it, with script in hand. It's great fun. Would have been better if there hadn't been so many small children there.

The party is pot luck and there were cupcakes, but no cake. I brought deviled eggs, and because so many people have food sensitivities and allergies nowadays, I printed out the ingredient list.

What weird green veggie??

Anyway, as for my food this evening.... er... well it was a bit pathetic really. For the last three Saturdays I have been trying to make a simple loaf of white bread. Don't laugh!! Making bread is not only an art, but also a science! And I was rubbish at those in school...:ermm:

So this evening's effort came out of the tin and my brother and I cut very warm slices, slathered them in butter (and cheese) and scoffed them. :)

Pac has been trying to identify a veggie he saw in the store but forgot to take a picture of it for us :LOL:

Don't know if this might help, but I was having trouble making bread for a while; it wouldn't rise properly and cook through completely. I did some reading and realized the water wasn't warm enough to activate the yeast. I started using an instant-read thermometer to make sure it was at least 80ºF and my bread has come out beautifully since then. Yum, love good bread!

...For the last three Saturdays I have been trying to make a simple loaf of white bread. Don't laugh!! Making bread is not only an art, but also a science! And I was rubbish at those in school...:ermm:...

...Don't know if this might help, but I was having trouble making bread for a while; it wouldn't rise properly and cook through completely. I did some reading and realized the water wasn't warm enough to activate the yeast. I started using an instant-read thermometer to make sure it was at least 80ºF and my bread has come out beautifully since then. Yum, love good bread!
Yup, yeast likes it cozy. Make sure the area you're proofing the dough in is warm enough too. We usually keep our thermostat at 67 degrees during the day in winter. The kitchen counter can get even colder. There are all kinds of ways to make the dough warm enough to rise, but I pretty much don't bake it on really cold winter days. :LOL: Good luck though. There are few things more satisfying in life than a good, thick slice of warm bread made by your own hands.

I made a mountain of shrimp and veggie fried rice. Apparently, we were as hungry as mountain climbers because we made it "all gone".

Attachments

• 2014-01-18 21.33.08.jpg
    2014-01-18 21.33.08.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 2014-01-18 21.33.49.jpg
    2014-01-18 21.33.49.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 177
Each time I have learned something and the end product has been better, so I intend to prevail! :LOL:

I have also learned you need to wait at least a FEW minutes before trying to cut a fresh loaf.... :ermm:

Then you are most decidedly on the right path! You are right, waiting for at least a few mins is good... My husband prefers it just barely warm :)

we had Rouladen with Semmelknoedel and peas and carrots... DH enjoyed something different than pasta e pizza ;o)

Completely lost track of the day yesterday swapping around three rooms in the house. Ended up tossing Red Baron pizzas in the oven for dinner at 7:00.

Yup, yeast likes it cozy. Make sure the area you're proofing the dough in is warm enough too. We usually keep our thermostat at 67 degrees during the day in winter. The kitchen counter can get even colder. There are all kinds of ways to make the dough warm enough to rise, but I pretty much don't bake it on really cold winter days. :LOL: Good luck though. There are few things more satisfying in life than a good, thick slice of warm bread made by your own hands.

I've also been copying Katie and using my bread machine just to make the dough; it keeps it at just the right temperature to rise. Then for the second rise, I shape the dough, heat a cup of water in the microwave, and let the dough do its second rise in there. Works great :)

Back
Top Bottom