Saturday's Supper 9/3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlechef

Senior Cook
Hello everyone,

It's a beautiful day here and perfect for a cookout. Heading to my sister's house for a BBQ. The usual fare will be served. Burgers, hot dogs, potato & pasta salads, and lots of fixings.

Enjoy the Labor Day Weekend.

I hope so. SO informs me there's fresh salad makings so that's on the menu as well. I hope to have enough energy to make Alix's lemon bars too as I am out of desserts since soft baked cookies are off the list.
You could actually bake some soft cookies :ermm::LOL:
But I agree, Alix's lemon bars are awesome....now I want some!

When I asked hubby as I was running out the door, he said a steak. I asked how prepared, "Oh, just one from the freezer." When I got to the store I decided to go the whole hog; a porterhouse, twice-baked potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and steamed asparagus. Haven't done that in so long that I don't remember how long to bake a potato! Thank heaven for Joy!

When I asked hubby as I was running out the door, he said a steak. I asked how prepared, "Oh, just one from the freezer." When I got to the store I decided to go the whole hog; a porterhouse, twice-baked potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and steamed asparagus. Haven't done that in so long that I don't remember how long to bake a potato! Thank heaven for Joy!

Until you can squeeze it and it's soft... or easily stick a toothpick in it ;)
To tell you the truth, I can't even remember the last time I baked a potato. Especially if I'm going to be grilling a steak. In that case it gets nuked for 2-3 minutes and set on the grill about twenty minutes before the steak. I love the way the skin gets on a grilled whole potato. That would be perfect for twice baked.

I might go with wings tonight. I'm really undecided. And it's like 90F out there. I'm not one to complain about the weather (much), but man is it humid. I might have to grill watching through the storm door :LOL:

Claire said:

Ina Garten just answered that question today! Scrub, oven 350°, place directly on the oven rack, no foil. Bake for 40 minutes or so, until squishy. Gives a nice, crisp skin.

I, too, haven't baked one in a long time.

Last edited:
That sounds about right, Dawg. I was thinking the book I reference said 40 minutes at 375 and 30 minutes at 400?, but of course it all depends on the size of the spud. You can't go wrong giving it a squeeze ;^)

Grilled rib eyes served with a side of sauteed gnocchi and grape tomatoes in a spinach pesto and topped with goat cheese

This sounds nice. I love the goat cheese on the gnocchi. Heck, I love anything on gnocchi.

Back
Top Bottom