"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i attended high school in a small town in tennessee. the lunch ladies served robust food. big meals that seemed to be more like an evening meal to me.

they made a killer piemento cheese from scratch served really piled on a wheat bread. i ate one everyday for two years. with chips and a coke. haven't had one as good since.

i transfered to a large school in florida. don't know what they had. only twenty min. for lunch, ate from the vending machines when i didn't carry a lunch.

aw the good old days, old being the key word here.
That reminded me of my kids biggest complaint, not enough time for lunch!
I told them, eat faster!

What is pimento cheese on wheat bread?

Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
That reminded me of my kids biggest complaint, not enough time for lunch!
I told them, eat faster!

What is pimento cheese on wheat bread?
you mean how is it made? they grated good cheddar added mayo and pimentos. put it on slices of wheat bread. does that make sense?"

Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
you mean how is it made? they grated good cheddar added mayo and pimentos. put it on slices of wheat bread. does that make sense?"
I can honestly say I have never heard of that! I like pimentos, so I might give this a try!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
Master Chef

Danger - Will Robinson - DANGER! Maverick is either an alien life-form or a Yankee!

I grew up with it so I never realized that pimento cheese was a Southern delicacy ...

In it's most basic form ... pimento cheese is grated mild cheddar, a little chopped pimentos, and enough mayo (NOT Miracle Whip - Helman's MAYONNAISE) to make it a creamy spread - with a dash of salt and pepper and some paprika.

Of course - there are variations (Google on pimento cheese recipes) some add some cream cheese, some add grated onion, etc. some even use grated Velveta and Miracle Whip!

Actually - in it's worst incarnation ... it's good!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #15
Master Chef

Yup, I am a Yankee!!

Or maybe an alien life-form.. might be debatable there... But an alien with a taste for southern cooking so I am just gonna have to put it on my list to try it out!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

i would likely send my kiddo to school with lunch. my school gave us salty, greasy, ketchupy meals like chix nuggets, cheeses sammiches, canned soups & canned fruit, pizza, soggy spaghetti...
when i went to Catholic school, wwe were given different meals, 'cept our cencus differed from public school & they could give us different meals. at least they offer milk & stuff, & salads.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #17
Sous Chef

My dd attends a private school. Part of tuition is a mandatory lunch (the make it mandatory because without 100% participation, they can't get the deal that they get on the lunches.) It averages out to about $4/day for lunch. So that kind of gives you an idea of what subsidies the government are providing for public schools.

In our case, dd has food intolerances... artificial coloring, flavoring, additives and preservatives cause her to break out in agonizing eczema... so we get to "opt out" for medical reasons (and get our money back on tuition).

I have to admit that they have some pretty good menus for a school system (but they are not all-natural). Some of the nicer foods being served in May: Beef and Bean Burritos, Rotini pasta with maranara, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Roasted Turkey Breast, Croque Monsieur. Then they have the truly nasty stuff, too: Nachos Supreme, Cheese Pizza, Chicken "Fryz".

I feel much better about sending an all-natural, homecooked meal with dd to school.

Also, I think it's important to note that much of what is taken in the lunch line (at least at the elementary level) is thrown in the trash. I see it when I monitor the lunch room and I hate to see such waste. I wish there was a way to manage this waste.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #18
Cook

We have canteens at our schools but they aren't subsidised in any way, they aren't expensive but are just like the usual cafe/takeaway shop I guess. They do pies and salad sandwiches and little prepacked lasagne's and that sort of thing.
It's more normal in the Australian system for children to bring a packed lunch, canteen is for special treats or days when you run out of bread or can't be bothered. Personally I'd much rather make lunches for my kids, they get a decent hot meal at night so they don't need it during the day too.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:39 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
We have canteens at our schools but they aren't subsidised in any way, they aren't expensive but are just like the usual cafe/takeaway shop I guess. They do pies and salad sandwiches and little prepacked lasagne's and that sort of thing.
It's more normal in the Australian system for children to bring a packed lunch, canteen is for special treats or days when you run out of bread or can't be bothered. Personally I'd much rather make lunches for my kids, they get a decent hot meal at night so they don't need it during the day too.
Here,Here!! thats what I was going to say, I think the Aussie way is best suited to me and my kids as you know what they are eating as we make it and pack it ourselves. The kids do only get "Tuckshop", thats what we call it here on Special occassions, I normally do once a week, normally on a Friday, to give me a break and the kids a treat. But our Tuckshops are becoming more Healthy now as kids can only buy certain things, not a lot of junk food here, they dont even allow softdrinks(sodas) only juices,water or flavoured water, and the occassional flavoured mineral water, the kids have to learn to like it or go without. I have always wondered about the school canteen/cafertieria, I like the idea, but would only allow my child to eat in one if "Jamie Oliver" was in charge, he is terrific in these sorts of quests, give us JAMIE anyday, or we will gladly go without. At least I know that he tries to cook Healthy food, whether the kids like it or not. I would just pack my own kids lunch if they didnt like his food. I want healthy for my kids, not JUNK, they can have junk at birthday parties and special occassions.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #20
Master Chef

They don't serve junk food at our school cafeteria. I think you have to wait until high school to get access to vending machines, but even then what is served in the school cafeteria is healthy and balanced.
Might be why so many kids hop in their cars at lunch and hit the local McDonald's. Me I would rather they do away with open campus'.