"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Not only that but some people think that just because the have 4 wheel drive they can actually speed on ice and snow.Sometimes the storms are so bad you cant drive faster than 25 miles an hour of course you always get the idiot that passes you because they think they know better and are from out of state guess what you come around the curve and there they are upside down in a ditch we used to just wave and keep on driving.Not to worry they were not hurt but looking pretty stupid at the same time.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #32
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
We rarely get the ubercold down in Fort Worth Tx so I pretty much just make whatever I feel like. If I want a grilled steak in January then I have it. If I want stew in July, you got it, I have that too ;)

Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #33
Master Chef

LOL - yep, Keltin - but that 16-oz rib-eye feast is usually a once a year event - either in April (Mom's birthday) or November (my birthday). But come to think of it - if I'm doing a steak it's usually 12-14 oz min., BBQ chicken is usually 1/2 of a 3-lb bird ... etc. Okay - I'm a carnivore with a good appetite. But, that's not every night. There are many days I just "veg" out ... microwaved sweet potato with salt, pepper, butter - steamed vegs, etc.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
LOL - yep, Keltin - but that 16-oz rib-eye feast is usually a once a year event - either in April (Mom's birthday) or November (my birthday). But come to think of it - if I'm doing a steak it's usually 12-14 oz min., BBQ chicken is usually 1/2 of a 3-lb bird ... etc. Okay - I'm a carnivore with a good appetite. But, that's not every night. There are many days I just "veg" out ... microwaved sweet potato with salt, pepper, butter - steamed vegs, etc.
I like big steaks as I never eat the whole thing and I will grill an extra one ,the next day I slice them to make them thinner and then make a great steak sandwichmedium rare makes a great cold beef sandwich tender and tasty especially with a glass of cold milk and made with a good bread.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #35
Head Chef

When I was a kid we lived on a farm and ate fresh all spring and summer come fall Mother would can fruit,vegetables, and freeze meat and sauces so I have allways ate according to the seasons. And when the snow flew( in Ia It flys) Mom allways had a soup or stew in the stove and plenty of home made bread. we were poor but we ate very well
Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I like big steaks as I never eat the whole thing and I will grill an extra one ,the next day I slice them to make them thinner and then make a great steak sandwichmedium rare makes a great cold beef sandwich tender and tasty especially with a glass of cold milk and made with a good bread.
I do this, too. The kids and I look forward to the leftover steak sandwiches almost as much as the dinner they came from. (In fact, I made 3 steaks tonight and we'll all be having those great sandwiches tomorrow!)
Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

i grill all year long, and make soups, stews, and roasts indoors in all seasons as well.

about the only thing that influences my cooking method is if it gets really hot out in the summer. then i will opt more often for the grill outside, to help save energy and keep the house cooler. but if i have a hankering for a stew in the dog days of august, i'll just use the crock pot.

this thread reminded me of some old pictures that i posted here a few winters ago. i was grilling some pork tenderloins on a warm-ish (maybe 35 -40 F) february evening when dw snapped these.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Definately in the seasonal camp and it works good for me. I look forward to the food every season offers. Grilled food, salads etc. in the summer. Heavier fare in the winter. Soup is one of my favorite foods but I do not crave it during the dog days. And chilled soup is not my thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

I often grill in the winter. Sometimes I have to shovel a path to the grill to do so.

BT, I'm glad to see you wore a nice warm coat over your SHORTS!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #40
Executive Chef

We tend to eat "lighter" in the summer, and "heavier" in the winter. We grill often during the summer, mainly because we spend a lot of time in the backyard, and we don't want to heat up the house. It might be that 10 oz steak or chops, but the sides are much lighter. IN winter, we keep the house cool, so simmering pots on the stove or in the oven are very welcome! We grill during the winter (unless the snow and wiond are really howling), I pull the BBQ close to the door, and keep a shovel handy. I buy seasonal foods from the farmer's market, so it stands to reason that there will be more salads etc during the summer, and more root veggies in the fall.

Neat light! I need one of those!