Seriously the best fries ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
A few years back ATK's host claimed that the old saying 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' was not always so.
Here's ATK's 'new' way of deep frying 'frites'.
I have followed this method for the last few years and it REALLY does produce excellent fries. But you HAVE to follow the instructions to the letter.
Have a deep enough pot so no boiling oil will bubble up.
Pour enough ROOM temperature oil to come halfway up the pot.
I sunflower oil but I've used all kinds of oils. Your choice.
The potatoes MUST be Yukon Gold or some other firm yellow flesh type. Russets WILL NOT work with this method.
I don't peel the potatoes. Just a good scrub and pat dry.
Then cut them into about 5/16th "X5/16th " lengths. Like the size you get at Wendy's etc. As you cut up each potato just dump them in the ROOM temperature oil.
When you've got all the potatoes you want sitting in the oil make sure the oil isn't too far up the side of the pot. You want to leave lots of room so the oil doesn't boil over and burn your house to the ground.
Now put the pot on the stove top and turn up the temp to high.
The oil will gradually get hot and the oil will begin to bubble. The bubbling is actually moisture coming off the fries.
This is the critical part. DO NOT!!!!!! play with/stir/touch the fries as they are cooking. Leave them totally alone.
If the oil is boiling too much turn the heat down just a bit. You need the oil to be boiling though.
As the moisture is coming off the potatoes the bubbling will lessen. About the time the fries are a nice golden brown is when the bubbling is coming to an end.
Have a big bowl lined with paper towel ready. Carefully use a spider or something to take the golden fries out of the oil and into the bowl. Give the fries a toss and add as much Kosher salt or whatever as you like. Serve right away but even after the fries have gone cold they are crispy and delicious.
I shared this method with a friend the other day. She followed the method to the letter and called to say she and her husband thought the fries were the best they had ever had.
I said don't thank me thank the dude on ATK.
When the oil has cooled usually overnight I strain it into a container and store it in the fridge till next time. The oil is fine for about 6 uses.

Sounds tasty. Interesting technique with the room temp oil. Never thought of doing anything like that.

Sounds tasty. Interesting technique with the room temp oil. Never thought of doing anything like that.
Ya I never thought it could make really excellent fries.
I think the trick is to use really firm potatoes like Yukon Gold.
For years I did the 'par-fry' then remove from the oil then turn the heat up then fries into the hotter oil method. We did this when I worked in a restaurant kitchen when I was a kid. It worked......I guess, but having to only put the fries in the room temp oil and leaving them to cook to golden brown is Way easier.

Just yesterday, I watched Jacques Pepin show how he makes the "best" fries.

After cutting and rinsing he blanched the potatoes in water. Then dried and par fried (325ºF) and final fried (400ºF).

The method you posted is interesting but you can only make one batch for a meal. Quantity of fries limited by pot size and oil amount.

Is there a difference in the final product because of the different type of potato used?

Last edited:
Charlie, a common method for french fries calls for you to partially fry (par-fry) the potatoes in cooler oil @ 325ºF for cook the interior of the fries. Then you allow them to come to room temperature and fry them a second time @ 400ºF.

Whilst I don't doubt that the results were good, I dislike the idea of immersing food in cold/room temperature oil before cooking it. Wouldn't the potato absorb the oil more, like a fried egg does if placed into unheated oil?

Whilst I don't doubt that the results were good, I dislike the idea of immersing food in cold/room temperature oil before cooking it. Wouldn't the potato absorb the oil more, like a fried egg does if placed into unheated oil?

I don't think oil absorption would be an issue with raw potatoes.

I don't think oil absorption would be an issue with raw potatoes.
Ah yes...thinking about it more, the cells would still be in tact, i.e. not broken up yet.

I forgot that I make oven chips which, of course, mean coating raw potato in oil. :rolleyes:

Just yesterday, I watched Jacques Pepin show how he makes the "best" fries.

After cutting and rinsing he blanched the potatoes in water. Then dried and par fried (325ºF) and final fried (400ºF).

The method you posted is interesting but you can only make one batch for a meal. Quantity of fries limited by pot size and oil amount.

Is there a difference in the final product because of the different type of potato used?
I tried using russet potatoes and they turned out oily.
It seems the firmer/denser flesh potatoes like Yukon Gold don't absorb any cooking oil.

I tried using russet potatoes and they turned out oily.
It seems the firmer/denser flesh potatoes like Yukon Gold don't absorb any cooking oil.

Thanks for your response. I really was wondering about any differences in the finished product. Russets are traditional for the customary cooking method. How do the yukon golds cooked using the method you describe compare in taste to the russets cooked traditionally.

Thanks for your response. I really was wondering about any differences in the finished product. Russets are traditional for the customary cooking method. How do the yukon golds cooked using the method you describe compare in taste to the russets cooked traditionally.
IMO your basic FF fries are made using russets or some other 'mealy' fluffy potato.
When you break open one of these fries the texture is crisp on the outside but the inside is sort of light and fluffy.
Yukon Golds or similar potatoes like kennebecs when fried using the ATK method are firmer inside and crunchier/crisper generally. The flavor is better too.
And there's no oily mouth feel like some FF fries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom