Signature Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sixsix210, the cheesecake sounds fab, please include me in that one!

Amy, I'll sort out the recipe for the tart (just off to work now!)...its a sweet rich pastry (made with butter) and a filling made with an obscene amount of tasty ingredients mainly butter , lemon zest & juice. I often pass on dessert, but this is worth the calories. I'll list it in the next couple of days on my home page & you will see it in the index.

i don't think of it as my signature dish; not sure i have one, but i'm known at work at family gatherings for my sunday gravy, with meatballs, sausage, and pork rib ends.

Ok kids. here we go...Enjoy!

Raspberry Swirled Cheesecake
Vegetable cooking spray
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 (8-ounce) package raspberries
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg whites
1 large egg
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Spray bottom and sides of 8-inch spring form pan with cooking spray; sprinkle crumbs on bottom of pan.
2. Puree raspberries until smooth, and put through a sieve to remove seeds. Add orange rind; set aside.
3. In mixer bowl, beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in condensed milk until smooth. Add egg whites, egg, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Stir in flour.
4. Pour half of batter in prepared pan. Spoon 1/2 raspberry puree evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter. Drop by spoonfuls remainder of raspberry mixture over batter; with knife or spatula gently swirl.
5. Bake 60 to 65 minutes or until center is set. Cool. Chill.
6. center should be lower after setting. Fill with caramel approx 1/4 inch thick. Refridgerate until caramel is firm.
7. cover top with melted chocolate and allow to set
8. now the fun part... either dredge the edges through a bowl of melted chocolate or use a basting brush to 'paint' the side with chocolate. Get a baking pan and a put a cooling rack inside of it to reduce mess ;-)

I've also added mint chocolate chip mini's to the top while it was setting. mint and raspberry...yum. Make sure the setting stages are done. It's cheese cake, so you can freeze it solid if need be before going to the next step of coating.

i don't think of it as my signature dish; not sure i have one, but i'm known at work at family gatherings for my sunday gravy, with meatballs, sausage, and pork rib ends.

Okay Bucky and others, it may be because I am Canadian, but what exactly is "Sunday gravy"? Does it have special ingredients in it? I know through my maternal British heritage we always had something with gravy on Sundays (pork or beef roast usually), but I know that isn't it.

I am intrigued!

lp, to italian americans, gravy can either be red (tomato), or brown (fond, drippings, roux, etc.).

sunday gravy is a tomato sauce, with each home having their own spin on the thing. but the most common ingredients are tomatoes, herbs, onions, peppers, meatballs, sausage, and often chunks of beef, veal, or pork, and possibly brasciole.

i usually add mushrooms and zucchini to mine.

it's usually started early sunday morning to be ready for an early dinner after church.

Last edited:
lp, to italian americans, gravy can either be red (tomato), or brown (fond, drippings, roux, etc.).

sunday gravy is a tomato sauce, with each home having their own spin on the thing. but the most common ingredients are tomatoes, herbs, onions, peppers, meatballs, sausage, and often chunks of beef, veal, or pork, and possibly brasciole.

i usually add mushrooms and zucchini to mine.

it's usually started early sunday morning to be ready for an early dinner after church.

Yumm, thanks for the lesson. Can you send some to me? "Suzi" is already FedExing me hot dog buns and oatmeal cookies collect....maybe they will give me a group rate? :ROFLMAO:

I really don't have a sig dish..But, each Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter, my crew wants home made ravioli and gravy..They also ask for my veal,chicken or pork marsala, love the way I make artichokes, garbanzo beans, and stuffed onions and rice torta , these are a have to have for at least several Sundays each month..And each one always asks for the stuffed onions for their birthday dinner...Good thing my youngest son came and had me teach him how to make them, the tradition will continue...:)

kadesma

;) I do not like it when someone asks me what my sig dish is I don't know what that would be working professionally for so long I feel like I have many ,many great dishes. I'm not trying to sound arrogant but I am 50 years old and have worked in many venues including bakeries so I better know how to make more than one thing really well. The better question is what dishes do I suck at. Ok! I do not make good biscuits, scones, home made pizza etc and many others I can't think of right now but they exist and I will be the first to tell you what I'm not good at. I know all of us here have more than one great dish.

Mine would probably be stromboli or lemon meringue pie. Yeah, nothing exotic.

My husband has a baked bean recipe that he makes and people request it for occasions (he even made them for a wedding one time). It includes grilled steak and spicy Italian sausage and jalepenos and barbeque sauce and a bunch of other stuff. They are awesome! People are always asking him for the recipe... his answer: "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

I don't really have a "signature" dish but a number of dishes that lots of folks enjoy.

One of the dishes I make that is well received by all is something I learned to cook from a Russian friend. It's a beef-filled crepe dish called nalistniki. My family loves it and I'm hard pressed to make enough every time fix it.

It amounts to a seasoned ground beef-filled crepe that is wrapped and baked, then served with a thin beef sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom