"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
Cook

Smile Signature Dish

What is your signature dish? I always go cold if someone asks this question, but after a lot of thought I decided it just has to be Tart Au Citron. I would like to say it's my own recipe but, alas it isn't. It is a recipe from Ruth Rogers River Cafe Blue Book. I think I have made it for everyone I know & it has always been a huge success! What's yours?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Honey, garlic and balsamic vinegar roasted lamb or potato and leek soup. It always used to be miniature chocolate eclairs but I have only made them once in ten years (gas oven doesn't get as good a result as electric IMO).

Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Cook

Talking

Bilby, the lamb sounds divine! I have a couple of leg of lamb sat in the freezer & I think you have motivated be to cook one for dinner!! Fiona
Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
Executive Chef

It's my favourite way to do lamb Fiona. The flavours go so well with the lamb. Excellent for skewers too!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Cook

How do you do it - roast whole or in smaller pieces? (sorry, just dashing out to collect kids from school now!) Would love to know. I love lamb!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Depends on what I am cooking. If I am doing the skewers, I put the chunks of lamb into a tub of marinade (honey, balsamic vinegar, garlic only) and leave in the fridge for a few hours. If I am doing roast chops or a leg, I just rub the ingredients over the meat with a little EVOO and some herbs like parsley and chives with some salt and pepper.

If I am pan frying or grilling chops, I tend to use a Souvlaki herb rub instead and cook in garlic and oil. Just think the quick cooking doesn't work with the panfry/grill unless you marinate first.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Executive Chef

For me, it depends on the time of year, as well as whether or not I'm at work.

At home, in winter, my wife is always begging for me to make clam chowder. I make a great clam chowder.

She's also been asking me to make a Sour Cream Struesel Coffeecake. It's good stuff, but I have issues with the cake easily coming out of the Bundt pan.

During Summer, I love to cook on my grill. Especially if its time to smoke some meat. Pork and Chicken are the primary offerings to the Smoke Altar. Occasionally Turkey legs. I also do a great smoked-roasted brined chicken on the grill (not really smoked, but grilled at low heat over live charcoal, kind of a blending of smoking and grilling).

If I'm at work, it's a whole different ballgame. The folks in the Pro Shop know that if I'm in the kitchen, then it's time to order a burger. When I was filling in at the Halfway House on the golf course last summer, many of the folks in the grounds crew and the Pro Shop would order burgers like mad when I was down there.

I also make a killer Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo. One of the managers likes me to make that for him, but he doesn't order it to often, as it's really, REALLY, rich, and makes for clogged arteries and wieght gain if eaten on a regular basis.

That same manager has also found out that my grilled chicken breast and sauteed fresh squash are great. He can't understand how I can grill chicken breasts (boneless/skinless, marinated) that are perfectly done, hot and juicy, while everyone elses are dry pieces of particle board that just looks like chicken.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Executive Chef

wish I had one, I don't.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, how to choose just one? I have several dishes I make that people always love - lasagna, moussaka, chicken enchiladas, bruschetta with homemade pesto and homegrown tomatoes, Greek marinated grilled chicken with tzatziki sauce, lemon-soy marinated grilled chicken and veggie kebabs, Asian-style chicken pasta salad, poached salmon with tarragon sauce. I try not to make the same thing too often, though. I've collected so many recipes I need to try!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
mmmmm...... that is a tough question.

If I go by what other people think my signature dish is it might be my smoked beer butt chicken or my burgers or my Mom's macaroni salad.

If I go by what I think is my signature dish it's not really a "dish" per se. My "signature" is more in my ingredients i.e., the freshest possible ingredients, fresh herbs, and choosing a recipe that may be fairly labor intensive OR so simple it's ridiculous!

Like I said, that's a difficult question with only 1 cup of coffee under my belt!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote