Signature Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiona

Cook
What is your signature dish? I always go cold if someone asks this question, but after a lot of thought I decided it just has to be Tart Au Citron. I would like to say it's my own recipe but, alas it isn't. It is a recipe from Ruth Rogers River Cafe Blue Book. I think I have made it for everyone I know & it has always been a huge success! What's yours?

Honey, garlic and balsamic vinegar roasted lamb or potato and leek soup. It always used to be miniature chocolate eclairs but I have only made them once in ten years (gas oven doesn't get as good a result as electric IMO).

Bilby, the lamb sounds divine! I have a couple of leg of lamb sat in the freezer & I think you have motivated be to cook one for dinner!! Fiona

How do you do it - roast whole or in smaller pieces? (sorry, just dashing out to collect kids from school now!) Would love to know. I love lamb!

Depends on what I am cooking. If I am doing the skewers, I put the chunks of lamb into a tub of marinade (honey, balsamic vinegar, garlic only) and leave in the fridge for a few hours. If I am doing roast chops or a leg, I just rub the ingredients over the meat with a little EVOO and some herbs like parsley and chives with some salt and pepper.

If I am pan frying or grilling chops, I tend to use a Souvlaki herb rub instead and cook in garlic and oil. Just think the quick cooking doesn't work with the panfry/grill unless you marinate first.

For me, it depends on the time of year, as well as whether or not I'm at work.

At home, in winter, my wife is always begging for me to make clam chowder. I make a great clam chowder.

She's also been asking me to make a Sour Cream Struesel Coffeecake. It's good stuff, but I have issues with the cake easily coming out of the Bundt pan.

During Summer, I love to cook on my grill. Especially if its time to smoke some meat. Pork and Chicken are the primary offerings to the Smoke Altar. Occasionally Turkey legs. I also do a great smoked-roasted brined chicken on the grill (not really smoked, but grilled at low heat over live charcoal, kind of a blending of smoking and grilling).

If I'm at work, it's a whole different ballgame. The folks in the Pro Shop know that if I'm in the kitchen, then it's time to order a burger. When I was filling in at the Halfway House on the golf course last summer, many of the folks in the grounds crew and the Pro Shop would order burgers like mad when I was down there.

I also make a killer Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo. One of the managers likes me to make that for him, but he doesn't order it to often, as it's really, REALLY, rich, and makes for clogged arteries and wieght gain if eaten on a regular basis.

That same manager has also found out that my grilled chicken breast and sauteed fresh squash are great. He can't understand how I can grill chicken breasts (boneless/skinless, marinated) that are perfectly done, hot and juicy, while everyone elses are dry pieces of particle board that just looks like chicken.

Wow, how to choose just one? I have several dishes I make that people always love - lasagna, moussaka, chicken enchiladas, bruschetta with homemade pesto and homegrown tomatoes, Greek marinated grilled chicken with tzatziki sauce, lemon-soy marinated grilled chicken and veggie kebabs, Asian-style chicken pasta salad, poached salmon with tarragon sauce. I try not to make the same thing too often, though. I've collected so many recipes I need to try!

d030.gif

Last edited:
mmmmm...... that is a tough question.

If I go by what other people think my signature dish is it might be my smoked beer butt chicken or my burgers or my Mom's macaroni salad.

If I go by what I think is my signature dish it's not really a "dish" per se. My "signature" is more in my ingredients i.e., the freshest possible ingredients, fresh herbs, and choosing a recipe that may be fairly labor intensive OR so simple it's ridiculous! :chef:

Like I said, that's a difficult question with only 1 cup of coffee under my belt! :LOL:

depends on who you ask!
DH, my caramel rolls. or chicken rollantini w/ pesto
oldest kid, anything Ol' Blue comes up with!!!
middle kid, jelly beans. (i dont make those but if he says its good i'll take it!)
baby girl, bread.

That is a great topic!! I think it depends on who is asked. I have my own preferences but if you ask my family, they would say my tilapia parmesan or my chicken/cheese enchiladas. The best part about this is that those are two of the easiest things to make!

Wow, how to choose just one? I have several dishes I make that people always love - lasagna, moussaka, chicken enchiladas, bruschetta with homemade pesto and homegrown tomatoes, Greek marinated grilled chicken with tzatziki sauce, lemon-soy marinated grilled chicken and veggie kebabs, Asian-style chicken pasta salad, poached salmon with tarragon sauce. I try not to make the same thing too often, though. I've collected so many recipes I need to try!

d030.gif

GG your marinated chicken w/ tzatziki sounds REALLY good!
Care to share?

hey i was tryin to be polite but if you wanna go THAT way.....
gimme gimme gimme!!!!

Hi GotGarlic & kitchenelf - I'm really interested, what are Greek marinated grilled chicken & smoked beer but chicken? Many thanks.

Hi GotGarlic & kitchenelf - I'm really interested, what are Greek marinated grilled chicken & smoked beer but chicken? Many thanks.

I posted the tzatziki recipe a while back, with some other serving ideas: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=486081&postcount=5

For the chicken marinade, I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Penzey's Greek seasoning, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Marinate for half an hour or so, then grill. Slice the chicken and serve in pita bread with chopped lettuce, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce. Add sliced olives and/or onions if desired.

Last edited:

You take a whole chicken, wash and dry it inside and out. Mix together:

kosher salt
brown sugar
ground mustard
cayenne pepper
ground black pepper
chili powder
ground cumin
dried oregano
smoked paprika or sweet paprika (smoked is better)

Mix all that together. Coat your chicken with some softened butter and smear on this mixture.

Take a can of beer, remove the entire top with a church key opener (be careful and don't cut yourself. Pour out about 1/3 of the beer. Add about 1 TBS chopped onion, 1 TBS pat of butter, and 1 TBS of the above mixture. Place chicken on can so the legs and the can of beer act as a tripod. Place on grill using indirect heat for about 2 hours. If you use a smoker then it will require about 5 hours.

If that isn't very clear feel free to send me a private message.

Back
Top Bottom