"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North
As your children are still young, it's a great time to start introducing them to colorful and delicious food, that also have great nutritional value. For instance, many people serve canned carrots as a side. They are bland, and over salted. I can eat them, but don't really like them. My sisters wouldn't touch them as children, and won't eat them now. Instead, it's a simple task to peel and slice a couple of carrots, and steam them until they are crispy-tender. It only takes about ten minutes of time. When serving them, dress them with a touch of honey, and butter. That bland, canned veggie has just been transformed into gourmet fare that tastes wonderful to kids and adults alike.

Acorn squash can be cut in half and seeded, then rubbed on the inside with butter, brown sugar, and a bit of cinnamon and ginger. Foil wrap and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and scoop out the flesh. You will be surprised how great the squash tastes.

Most veggies are tastier when steamed, or baked. you want to leave some of that crispness in the veggies so that they aren't wilted and washed out. Wilted veggies are mushy veggies. When cooked correctly, they are brightly colored, and have great, natural flavor. A little seasoning can turn veggies into a real treat.

Steamed green beans, or spinach taste wonderful. Beets are sweet, and high in so many great nutrients. Put some peanut butter on celery slices and watch you kids gobble them right up.

Whole grain breads, served with a bit of good jam is always a welcome treat at the dinner table as well. Or serve whole grain dinner rolls, with gravy or sauce.

Another great way to get your children interested in eating healthy foods is to include your children in the food preparation.

Though mashed potatoes, or cheese macaroni are often the types of foods we grew up with as side dishes, they are foods that should be used sparingly. Yes, I'll admit it. I enjoy the flavor of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. But I rarely serve it as it is very high in starches (carbohydrates with very little food value), fat (from the milk and cheese), and salt. None of those ingredients are healthy for the body. Instead, serve up things like sweet potatoes, colorful veggies, including sweet and hot peppers (my eldest child has loved hot peppers since before she could walk, and she was an early walker/talker), wholesome grains, and milk or water. Fruit juices, though they contain some vitamins and minerals, have been stripped of most of their nutrients by removing the good parts, leaving only the juice. They are as high in sugars as soda-pop. They taste great, but aren't such a great choice as they contribute to obesity, tooth decay, and in adult stage diabetes.

You aren't doing your children any favors by giving them junk food, or comfort food. A great piece of pie is a little bit of heaven. But it can't be something eaten every day. the same true of ice cream, or doughnuts, or sweet rolls, or cake, or, or, or...

Serve fresh fruit for desert instead, maybe with a small slice of a great cheese. if you give your kids the chance to try a wide variety of food while they are young, you will be contributing to their good health, now, and in the future.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks soo much... I often serve apple slices as a side, or carrots, my daughter is a great veggie and fruit eater, but my son will only eat raw veggies... Which I don't mind at all, for dessert, we very rarely have junk food, my son mostly will always choose fruits over junk... He'll ask for a cookie or cup cake every now and again and I don't mind giving it at all, because her eats it maybe 2-3 times a MONTH lol.... I don't always like to give carbs or starches as sides .. So I appreciate any input thanks so much for your response

Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef
Mashed potatoes and gravy with chicken, sweet potatoes or baked beans with pork chops, and polenta with sausage and peppers.
Yes!!! Polenta, I always forget about polenta!!! Thanks so much

Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
I usually go to the farm market Saturday mornings and buy a variety of vegetables. Once I get home, I wash and cut everything and store it in baggies in the fridge. I like to make combinations of whatever I have on hand. Some nights I stir fry a variety of veggies and toss in a little goat or feta cheese. Other times I'll roast them in the oven or on the grill tossed with olive oil and fresh herbs. Another option is to mix them with pre-cooked brown rice, quinoa, barley, or other grains.
I've never tried quinoa... And have been curious about it lately... Stupid questions but, is easily found in the supermarket, hard to cook, and it's consistency??? Like a rice or a pasta??
Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
Carrot coins, boiled until tender and dressed with a little butter and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.

Cabbage salad, even if you go with the bagged cabbage it is still not expensive and you can scoop up a quick side for two or three nights.

American style fried rice made with leftover rice, onion, garlic, frozen mixed vegetables and soy sauce.

I am not sure how old your children are but, the more they participate in the selection and preparation the more likely they are to try things. They need to have a little skin in the game!

Good luck!
Lol...I have been including my son in the kitchen and selections of females lately he just turned 4 my daughter is 15 months... All very great ideas!!! I am loving this forum!!! Everyone is great here
Old 08-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovex4 View Post
I've never tried quinoa... And have been curious about it lately... Stupid questions but, is easily found in the supermarket, hard to cook, and it's consistency??? Like a rice or a pasta??
Easy to find (I see it in the bulk food aisle more often than not) and not hard to cook at all. Just like cooking rice. The texture and flavor, to me, is a little like couscous. Kind of nutty.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
Easy to find (I see it in the bulk food aisle more often than not) and not hard to cook at all. Just like cooking rice. The texture and flavor, to me, is a little like couscous. Kind of nutty.
Definitely will be looking for it this shopping trip
Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovex4 View Post
Thanks soo much... I often serve apple slices as a side, or carrots, my daughter is a great veggie and fruit eater, but my son will only eat raw veggies... Which I don't mind at all, for dessert, we very rarely have junk food, my son mostly will always choose fruits over junk... He'll ask for a cookie or cup cake every now and again and I don't mind giving it at all, because her eats it maybe 2-3 times a MONTH lol.... I don't always like to give carbs or starches as sides .. So I appreciate any input thanks so much for your response
If they eat raw veggies try the old ants on a log, celery stalk, peanut butter and a few raisins, I mean ants.

This is also good with cream cheese instead of the peanut butter.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I would try giving the kids carrots without anything sweet added. I know that I detested sweetened, cooked carrots as a kid. Unsweetened were fine. Kids all have their own personal preferences.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I would try giving the kids carrots without anything sweet added. I know that I detested sweetened, cooked carrots as a kid. Unsweetened were fine. Kids all have their own personal preferences.
Yes my son loves them raw, my daughter either way.... As a kid I dipped my carrots in ketchup...blech....lol
Old 08-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

I say feed them to the little rug-rats in a bowl, on the floor. And if they don't like it, they go hungry! Muhwahahahaha!

"Get back in your cage, you evil little devil. Kids are precious."

"Yessss, Precioussss. Bad hobbits hurt Smiegle and steel the preciousssss."

"I said get back in your cage."

"Oh, master, Smiegle is sorry. Don't hurt poor Smiegle.

"Then you jsut stay away from the rug rats, er, I mean children."

"Yes master. But the dark one is looking for the preciousssss."

"He'll not find them. We'll keep them safe, and tuck them in at night, and feed them a good hobbit stew, with rabbit, and taters, and carrots. And we'll give them your hot cocoa."

"Noooo! Smiegle loves his hot cocoa. Mean hobbits and mean precioussss."

I am a strange guy. I know that. You don't have to tell me. And I enjoy being eccentric. Woohoo, hoohoohoohoo . Ahahahaha.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote