Simple sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried quinoa... And have been curious about it lately... Stupid questions but, is easily found in the supermarket, hard to cook, and it's consistency??? Like a rice or a pasta??

Quinoa is VERY high in protein.

Tricolor quinoa (white, black & red) and orzo pasta pilaf.

img_1182562_0_acc05844d8c6efb000ab96ddf16ac124.jpg

img_1182562_1_eab4460a92f08082f875042c68b4532a.jpg

Yum..yum and yum...

I have never tried Quinoa, what does it taste MM...it looks fab!

Quinoa is VERY high in protein.

Tricolor quinoa (white, black & red) and orzo pasta pilaf.

img_1182611_0_acc05844d8c6efb000ab96ddf16ac124.jpg

img_1182611_1_eab4460a92f08082f875042c68b4532a.jpg

Alright, that does it. Expect me on your doorstep for dinner tonight. I want some of that!.

Oh rats! You don't live where I live, and I don't have your address. Guess you don't have to worry about me showing up tonight. But I would if you live just across town.

Great job. Great pictures. I enjoy quinoa. Your preparation looks amazing. And the stir-fry beside it, well it looks as good as it could possibly look. It looks an awful lot like a good chicken sukiyaki preparation, but with the addition of broccoli and carrot. In any case, it really looks great. I bet it tasted great too. And this smile represents you: :chef:

Could you come over and take food pictures for my blog? Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on top?:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Yum..yum and yum...

I have never tried Quinoa, what does it taste MM...it looks fab!

Alright, that does it. Expect me on your doorstep for dinner tonight. I want some of that!.

Oh rats! You don't live where I live, and I don't have your address. Guess you don't have to worry about me showing up tonight. But I would if you live just across town.

Great job. Great pictures. I enjoy quinoa. Your preparation looks amazing. And the stir-fry beside it, well it looks as good as it could possibly look. It looks an awful lot like a good chicken sukiyaki preparation, but with the addition of broccoli and carrot. In any case, it really looks great. I bet it tasted great too. And this smile represents you: :chef:

Could you come over and take food pictures for my blog? Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on top?:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thank you.

I really can't explain how it tastes. It's like trying to describe a color.

Last edited:
White quinoa vs. red vs. black have different flavors, IMO. I find the red has a nuttier flavour than the white. The black is hard to find and I haven't had it for quite awhile, but it had a different depth of flavor than the red. My favorite is the red. I have cut back my quinoa consumption, however, because the popularity outside of South America, this means more money for farmers, but this popularity has taken quinoa out of the price range of people who relied on it for an inexpensive source of protein (In Bolivia, a Quinoa Quandary - Popularity means more money for farmers, but people can't afford it).

Whereas I used to buy quinoa regularly, I now keep only about 1/2 lb on hand and don't replenish my stock for 2-3 months and am more selective about how often I eat it (although I LOVE it). Hmmmm...wonder if it would grow in SE Ontario...a year ago, I was eating quinoa 2-3x month. Now I eat it 1x every 2-3 months.

CWS4322 said:
White quinoa vs. red vs. black have different flavors, IMO. I find the red has a nuttier flavour than the white. The black is hard to find and I haven't had it for quite awhile, but it had a different depth of flavor than the red. My favorite is the red. I have cut back my quinoa consumption, however, because the popularity outside of South America, this means more money for farmers, but this popularity has taken quinoa out of the price range of people who relied on it for an inexpensive source of protein (In Bolivia, a Quinoa Quandary - Popularity means more money for farmers, but people can't afford it).

Whereas I used to buy quinoa regularly, I now keep only about 1/2 lb on hand and don't replenish my stock for 2-3 months and am more selective about how often I eat it (although I LOVE it). Hmmmm...wonder if it would grow in SE Ontario...a year ago, I was eating quinoa 2-3x month. Now I eat it 1x every 2-3 months.

Ok well I tried a packaged quinoa, looked mixed of black and white but was preseasoned like garden vegetable or something... I wasn't happy with the consistency of it... I though it would be more cous cous like, but it was a little too grainy...did I chose wrong or is that how it's supposed to taste??

I've been going a long time and my kid's are all grown now;but a good side dish would be sweet potato fries or biscuits with broccoli and cheese inside

My kiddies aren't too picky... But they do love their pasta and rice, which I don't always like to give everyday...would love some ideas for dinner side dishes that go well with chicken cutlets, pork chops, sausage and peppers that's basically what we eat here... I love to cook, but we have a budget, so I don't always cook the most extravagant meals...
How do you little ones feel about, fruit,peas,tomatoes,potatoes,? My grandkids love foods of all kinds. You could try kebobs of fruit, tomatoes cut into quarters with a dressing they like, mine love savory salad dressing made from dry mustard or a dijon, some sugar,salt,vinegar, evoo, grated onion to get some juice from it, celery seed, savory is optional. I use just a samll amount of thedry mustard, I prefer Dejon. This is good orver a small can of Icy cold mandarin oranges, along with Avocado slices, The kids smack their lips over this one. How about potatoes with grated onion, along whit thin sliced red potatoes, salt and pepper. layer potatoes in casserrole dish that you've buttered or sprayed with pam, cover with chichen broth, addsome Monterey Jack cheese thin sliced pour over a little melted butter then back til soft in a 325 oven. You can scoo[ out the center of tomatoes and then fill with with bread cubes you make using day old bread cut into small cubes, dot with butter, tiny sauteed onion bits and some bacon bits. My guys love bacon and they also love tiny cherry tomatoes, sauteed then add salt, and cream let the cream come to a boil amd add butter and bread crumbs serve right away. A slice of crumbled bacon over the top should make them go emmmmm:yum:. Hope this helps If I can do more give a yell.
kades

kadesma said:
How do you little ones feel about, fruit,peas,tomatoes,potatoes,? My grandkids love foods of all kinds. You could try kebobs of fruit, tomatoes cut into quarters with a dressing they like, mine love savory salad dressing made from dry mustard or a dijon, some sugar,salt,vinegar, evoo, grated onion to get some juice from it, celery seed, savory is optional. I use just a samll amount of thedry mustard, I prefer Dejon. This is good orver a small can of Icy cold mandarin oranges, along with Avocado slices, The kids smack their lips over this one. How about potatoes with grated onion, along whit thin sliced red potatoes, salt and pepper. layer potatoes in casserrole dish that you've buttered or sprayed with pam, cover with chichen broth, addsome Monterey Jack cheese thin sliced pour over a little melted butter then back til soft in a 325 oven. You can scoo[ out the center of tomatoes and then fill with with bread cubes you make using day old bread cut into small cubes, dot with butter, tiny sauteed onion bits and some bacon bits. My guys love bacon and they also love tiny cherry tomatoes, sauteed then add salt, and cream let the cream come to a boil amd add butter and bread crumbs serve right away. A slice of crumbled bacon over the top should make them go emmmmm:yum:. Hope this helps If I can do more give a yell.
kades

Seriously sounds yummy!!! They are awesome with their fruits and potatoes.... I will definitely be trying some of these ideas!!! My daughter as of right now eats anything!!!! They do love raw onions...weird I know... But they are Sicilian lol.... I am hoping these ideas bring some new life to our boring dinner menu...I'm so over it!! I can not think of what to make anymore!!!! I am always interested in new ideas!!! Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you again, please if you have any other yummy creations please keep me in mind lol

Ok well I tried a packaged quinoa, looked mixed of black and white but was preseasoned like garden vegetable or something... I wasn't happy with the consistency of it... I though it would be more cous cous like, but it was a little too grainy...did I chose wrong or is that how it's supposed to taste??
I don't find it grainy...you might not have cooked it long enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom