"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Snapshots from work

Been pretty busy with work for the past few months. A few things that I've been able to play with:

This is some Shelton Farms organic free range chicken cooking sous vide with a thermal circulator. We get the chicken whole and then butcher them. The breast and thigh meat are molded and formed into a roulade style with plastic wrap. The rest of the chicken is used for stock. The chicken is then cooked sous vide for about 2 hours or so then chilled. After that, the chicken is then wrapped with serrano ham, seared golden brown on all sides, and pan roasted to order:

Once the chicken is done, it's chilled, unwrapped, and stored in the fridge until service. Although it's ultra tender, it doesn't look too appetizing in this picture. This is pre-seared and pre-wrapped of course:

Unfortunately this one came out a little blurry, but this is fresh airflown hamachi, straight from Japan. They catch the fish, butcher it, seal it in cryovac bags, and fly it out immediately. This is how the fish looks right after it's removed from the bag, before butchering:

Lots going on at work, no time to post. Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey IC,,,,Very interesting pictures...Thanks for sharing them!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Ironchef, I commend your efforts. By looking at your pictures from your place of work, it's inspired me to do basically the same. The past six months I've been documenting, through photos, what the menu items "should" look like. We've installed some plexiglass "signs" above the line, and plan on putting pictures of the menu items there. I've also been documenting various functions, as well as the construction of the new pool, and some of the ice damage from last month's ice storm.

Dumb question, though. What kind of camera are you using? Is it one of those smaller "point and shoot" digicams, or a full-blown DSLR. I'm currently using my Nikon D40, which gives me great flexibility in settings, etc., but is a little on the "big" side.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us...We all miss you here and look forward to hearing from you..Take care and come say HI when you can.
kadesma
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Executive Chef

someone mentioned you the other day in here somewhere. made me think you've not been on lately. it's okay, we'll hold down the fort for you until your safe return, enjoy your day in Spam land............
thanks for the report, wondered how Hahn did that, you Iron Chef you........very impressive................

oh, someone please post the what's for dinner thread today, I think days in a row of me doing it gets redundant and b---oooooring
Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Ironchef, I commend your efforts. By looking at your pictures from your place of work, it's inspired me to do basically the same. The past six months I've been documenting, through photos, what the menu items "should" look like. We've installed some plexiglass "signs" above the line, and plan on putting pictures of the menu items there. I've also been documenting various functions, as well as the construction of the new pool, and some of the ice damage from last month's ice storm.

Dumb question, though. What kind of camera are you using? Is it one of those smaller "point and shoot" digicams, or a full-blown DSLR. I'm currently using my Nikon D40, which gives me great flexibility in settings, etc., but is a little on the "big" side.
Allen, I actually took these with the phone on my camera. It's 2.4 megapixels which is pretty decent for a camera phone. Usually I'll take pictures with my normal camera which is a Casio Exilim.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
thanks for the report, wondered how Hahn did that, you Iron Chef you........very impressive................
Hahn....you mean Hung? You can sous vide without the thermal circulator but it's much, much harder to maintain a constant temperature throughout the cooking process. The sous vide liquid needs to be constantly checked if you don't have one of those cool toys.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Master Chef

Hey isn't that the machine they used in the competition for the New Iron Chef? The episode where they introduced several technilogical pieces of equipment for the chefs to use? And then when it came down to the final 2 the one chef used it in the finals.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Great toys, and a great setting to display you and the crews skills. Great stage.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN View Post
Hey isn't that the machine they used in the competition for the New Iron Chef? The episode where they introduced several technilogical pieces of equipment for the chefs to use? And then when it came down to the final 2 the one chef used it in the finals.
Yeah, but "The Next Iron Chef" basically copied "Top Chef". Also, the judging was whacked out on TNIC. It made the show not fun to watch, much like most of the shows on that network.

I didn't like that particular episode because some of the chefs didn't take advantage of the equipment. For instance, Aaron Sanchez only cooked I think a vegetable component of his dish sous vide and cooked his protein normally. Anyone can pan sear a protein; they should've been required to sous vide or whatever to cook the main component of their dish.