"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I would sooner fill a bathtub up with hot water, sit in it, and slit my wrists than open a restaurant and spend 12 to 14 hours a day, on my feet, over a hot stove.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
I would open up a Hooters restaurant. I would be the manager and put in long hours

MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #13
Master Chef
If money were truly no object, I would open a restaurant mall. It would have distinct restaurants, each with its own theme. It would have everything from a dinner theater, to a Chucky Cheese style eatery. The most ambitious of the restaurants would be a "challenge me and my chefs" place where all kinds of fresh foods would be stocked. Each chef would have to prove to me that they are well versed in a host of different dishes and cooking techniques. There would be no menu. The customer would come in with the menu they wanted and we would choose from our wide stockpile of ingredients and make it for them. We obviously wouldn't each know hjow to make every dish, but with 6 or 7 chef's each specializing in East Indian, or European, or Oriental, or one of many cuisine styles, and with a good knowledge of cooking techniques, we could make most anything. And of course, the patrons get to watch the cooking process.

Oh, and don't forget the sandwich shop. There's the obvious potential for extreme creativity there. Think BreathKillers and Classics:D

If money were an object, but I had enough to do it, I would love to open my own cullinary school and teach cooking. Of course I'd have to get some type of certification so as to comply with the law.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I would buy the Railway Hotel in my town of Ramsbottom, and completely gut the place. By day it would offer traditional English Ales, very good quality sandwiches, salads and cakes, as well as picnic baskets for the people catching the steam train. All the food would be fresh, sourced from local suppliers, and nothing would be cooked from frozen or dried. I would have innovative drinks for the non drinkers like smoothies, traditional english soft drinks like Black Beer and Raisin (which is completely non alcoholic)

By evening it would become a cocktail bar, and have space to dance (you can't dance anywhere in this town).
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef
I would open up a soup kitchen and shelter for the homeless serving soulfood....I mean good Soul Food.

Fried Chicken
Pork Chops
Liver and Onions
Fried Fish
Fried Okra
Fried Cabbage
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I like the idea of a bed n breakfast. There's a brick Inn in my hometown that dates from early 1800s and was a stop on the Underground Railroad and still has the old hitching posts out front. Right now, the first floor is used by an insurance agency and the second and third floor are used for storage. A moderately price menu and comfortable surroundings with plenty of antique furniture, paintings, etc. would fit the bill nicely. If that doesn't work out, I'll just hang out at MJ's restaurant!
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Russell
opening a bakery on nassau street or witherspoon street. (They are in NJ, Princeton). Bucky know's what it would be called.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I would open up a soup kitchen and shelter for the homeless serving soulfood....I mean good Soul Food.

Fried Chicken
Pork Chops
Liver and Onions
Fried Fish
Fried Okra
Fried Cabbage
See, I knew you was a sweetie Bang!
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Originally Posted by pdswife1
I'd open a kitchen/houseware store
and have chefs give cooking demos and cooking lessons.
I would go... a lot of the little I know I learned at such a place. Back home this lady ran "casa elina" which was basically a cooking import shop where you could find all the asian and american stuff you needed. Her son ran the register (chatting on the pc all day) and her or her husband gave a variety of cooking classes in the back of the buisness (she had a kitchen set up in a patio) which she announced in the newspaper a week in advance at a pretty small cost (let's say like the equivalent of 20-30 bucks a head).

I remember me and my mother being the only one's who showed up for the "sushi" one and since we where pretty good at sushi and to still turn a profit she got into a variety of oldschool countryside dishes like hotpots, this hearty fishead miso stew and a variety of other little comfort foods. I really loved casa elina, it was also a great place to get a bottle of wine when you are underaged [/quot

Sounds like a great place Lugaru. There was a place like this in Bellevue but, it's closed now. I'm on the search for a new one.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen
I'd want a place, near a big lake, possibly Tahoe near Emerald Cove, that was constructed of brick. In the back would be a big indoor atrium/patio area that resembled an english garden, full of lavendar, rosemary, lemon balm, basil, etc...(which of course, would supply ingreds) Inside, there would be a few large fireplaces, with comfortable leather, brass tack-studded armchairs and the mood would be calm & quiet, with classical music. The food served would be the finest steaks, such as filet mignon stuffed with bleu cheese, or with a bechamel & avocado sauce. Fresh pastas would serve as courses, as well as salads that had dozens of different types of lettuces, all mixed together. There would be a classic feel to the place, as though it had been there forever. Desserts would be made fresh, daily, depending on the farmers market's fresh fruits.
Each Sunday there would be brie & fruit plates, along with wine, for those who just needed a break from the hustle & bustle of life.
On Saturday nights, there would be live jazz, of course.

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote