"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
So imagine you could put your own food business...

Congrats… you just won the lottery and you can put up any restaurant or food related business you have ever dreamed of, from your own canning place to a “fifth avenue fine restaurant”. So what would you do with the cash?

I dream of setting up a nice place on one of the posher streets in Boston (Newbury st.) that reflects the more refined European influences in Mexican cooking… in other words the “we will slap you if you ask for a chimichanga” style restaurant. Not a single tex mex or western creation… it would all be southern Mexico classics made with finer ingredients. And in the middle? Myself, surrounded by 3 grills where I would be constantly cooking steak, sausages and a variety of organ meats for tacos while flipping through my huge list of “rock in Spanish“ mp3‘s.

Especially I would like it to have a nice bar where I could send my patrons complimentary spicy creations to keep them drinking, much like a place I used to frequent which I wont be mentioning due to the kind of… bar… it was.

Any way’s people would get to try lesser known Mexican delicacies such as peppers in Nogada (peppers stuffed with ground meat, fruit and spices covered in a creamy walnut and pomegranate sauce) and quail in rose petal sauce besides the obvious bar and grill setup.

Also the most important part… fresh tortillas. I would set up a tortilla factory (its not very bulky, it’s a similar belt and resistance heater system that some pizza places use) so that there would be no problem in supplying baskets of fresh and hot corn and wheat tortillas to the patrons.

Ok… what’s your fantasy business?

Old 01-02-2005, 02:51 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'd open a kitchen/houseware store
and have chefs give cooking demos and cooking lessons.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I would have a small intimate, romantic restaurant, serving generous portions of wonderful comfort food.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Master Chef

i'd have an ultra-modern place with awesome decor and food.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Head Chef

I would buy a lovely house in the south of France, turn it into a bed and breakfast, serve wonderful food (two fixed menus per day), and make lots of friends among my guests.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
Executive Chef

This is something I've actually given some thought.

I know a town, back in OK, where my sister and her husband live. Two major highways cross there. This town, while not terribly big, has NO BBQ restaurants. Open up a BBQ place, nothing to upscale, as it's rather cheap to do, after you buy all the meat. I might even try to cater to the trucking crowd. I may have to buy/build a larger place, lots of parking, and even stay open 24/7, as most truckers run at night nowadays.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
ill just open a resturant on the waterfront of dc with my friends. Itll be an International House of Cookery or sumthin lol.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife1
I'd open a kitchen/houseware store
and have chefs give cooking demos and cooking lessons.
I would go... a lot of the little I know I learned at such a place. Back home this lady ran "casa elina" which was basically a cooking import shop where you could find all the asian and american stuff you needed. Her son ran the register (chatting on the pc all day) and her or her husband gave a variety of cooking classes in the back of the buisness (she had a kitchen set up in a patio) which she announced in the newspaper a week in advance at a pretty small cost (let's say like the equivalent of 20-30 bucks a head).

I remember me and my mother being the only one's who showed up for the "sushi" one and since we where pretty good at sushi and to still turn a profit she got into a variety of oldschool countryside dishes like hotpots, this hearty fishead miso stew and a variety of other little comfort foods. I really loved casa elina, it was also a great place to get a bottle of wine when you are underaged
Old 01-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #9

I would open a Soul Food school.

I would teach all of the old ways I learned as a child to those kids today who are interested in learning.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
Head Chef

And I would open a confectionary right next door to Choclatechef so I could eat constantly from the SF menu!

I can see it now with huge front windows casing tons of truffles, taffies, hard candies and lollipops and huge poured sugar stands...! And lots of kids on field trips to see how it all is made, especially around the holidays!