So, what's good with pickles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrémeBrulée

Assistant Cook
A friend who knows I like to try new foods gave me a jar of mixed pickles (pearl onions, baby cucumbers, baby corn, etc.) after her last trip to the Czech Rebublic. I appreciate her gesture, and find the pickles quite tasty on their own, but I have no idea what might be good to eat with them. Any suggestions?

I like pickles on the side with a grilled cheese sandwich. Pickles are good on hamburgers too, and I add chopped pickles into my potatoe salad.

I like to make what we refer to in my family as "Polish Roses". You take a nice thin slice of a good ham, spread it with a thin layer of cream cheese. Then you lay the pickle at one end and roll like an egg roll. You let them rest covered in the fridge for about 15 - 30 minutes for the cheese to firm up, then remove them to a cutting board and slice away!

We slice them a little thick, about 1/2" and serve with a nice chilled martini. Absolutely divine!!

Brianschef said:
I like to make what we refer to in my family as "Polish Roses". You take a nice thin slice of a good ham, spread it with a thin layer of cream cheese. Then you lay the pickle at one end and roll like an egg roll. You let them rest covered in the fridge for about 15 - 30 minutes for the cheese to firm up, then remove them to a cutting board and slice away!

We slice them a little thick, about 1/2" and serve with a nice chilled martini. Absolutely divine!!

I believe you. I may even serve that to my handicrafts group tonight.

I don't know, we have never met have we? lol Reykjavik, huh, we are stationed in England, nice to meet you. : )

I use pickles in potato salad, chicken salad, sandwiches, with popcorn and just as a snack on a relish tray.

Dina said:
I use pickles in potato salad, chicken salad, sandwiches, with popcorn and just as a snack on a relish tray.

Pickles with popcorn? That's a new idea.:)

Everybody has covered a good number of the ways we use pickles, love those things.

Also like them cut in strips or wedges and put on a hot dog, kinda like the way they make those great Chicago franks.

Welcome to DC!

How about using a pickle as a swizzle stick in a Bloody Mary :mrgreen:

I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds like a good nibble.

French Fried Pickles

1 qt Dill pickles, sliced thinly
1 3/4 c All purpose flour
2 ts Red pepper (cayenne)
2 ts Paprika
2 ts Pepper
2 ts Garlic salt
1 ts Salt
3 ds Hot sauce (tabasco)
1 c Beer
Vegetable oil

Drain well and dredge pickles in 1 cup of the flour and set aside. Combine 3/4 cup flour with remaining dry ingredients. Add the hot sauce and beer mix well. Dip pickle slices in batter and deep fry in hot (375) oil unti they float and are golden. Drain on towels and serve warm.

I have a recipe for Asian Potato Salad (with cucumbers), I've been meaning to try. If you're interested, give me a wave.

I also add pickle relish to tuna, macaroni and potato salad.

Mish, in Memphis, TN that is called a "Lucile" after .... I'm drawing a blank here, the jazz guy who does the diabetes commercial ... his old guitar.

When I find myself in a pickle glut, I chop and put them in cole slaw, tartar sauce, devilled eggs, and thousand island dressing.

Claire said:
Mish, in Memphis, TN that is called a "Lucile" after .... I'm drawing a blank here, the jazz guy who does the diabetes commercial ... his old guitar.

When I find myself in a pickle glut, I chop and put them in cole slaw, tartar sauce, devilled eggs, and thousand island dressing.

Claire, egg-cellent ideas. Smiling here as the tune of Lucille runs thru my head...B.B. King, I think.

http://www.worldblues.com/bbking/prairie/lucille.html

Back
Top Bottom