"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
So... what's your specialty?

What do you make better than other people you know? What dishes do you get complimented on time and time again? I dont use this term lightly in my own cooking but there are about 3 things that I feel pretty hard to beat at...

For example my roomie's specialty is "man food". He's not afraid to throw cheese, sausage and spices into every thing he makes (imagine meatloaf with chunks of cheddar and pepperoni or chilli with sausage and steak). Usually this style of careless cooking is really bad but it almost always works out great for him. He also makes this really good salad with bleu cheese chunks, italian dressing and craisins.

Here's mine:

Fried rice: when I was insanely poor and all I ate was rice I learned how to turn two cups of uncooked rice and one egg into something really special thanks to some research I did into proper technique. Usually it will be firm, not greasy at all and each individual grain will stand on it's own even after you've let it sit for a day.

Beans: I never thought much of it but at least 10 people have told me they didint like beans before they tasted mine. The best thing I make with them would probably be my bean dip using regular beans, black beans, a very spicy ranchero sauce, grated cheese and sour cream. It's a really american bean dip but man it's good. I think the secret to this is understanding that beans themselves can be really good when done right and in Mexico I had some very elegant dishes where beams where the spotlight (like beans in mole).

Rosti: I was making this a few dozen times a day when I worked at a reastaurant and got to a point where I was far better than any one in my station. Now at home I use cheap, starchy potatoes to get a very solid cake and I never flip it until needed to make sure each side is REALLY golden and crusty. Usually it dosent need anything more than a touch of salt and pepper but I do make a dijon white sauce that really makes it great.

So what are your specialties?

Old 03-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Ours is of course barbeque.

We have a number of dishes that really differnet from other people's.

Our red bbq slaw
our baked beans
desserts

http://www.ebsbbq.com/our_cooking_sampler.htm

Old 03-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Great topic, Lugaru! I can make quiche, grilled pizza and omelettes like nobody's business but I stumble through many other recipes that I make. I think that we all have a dish that we can create at a professional level! It all depends on motivation, I suppose. I'm still beating myself to death trying to perfect BBQ but I think I'm getting close! :D

Edit: I followed Rainee's post, how appropriate!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Master Chef

my specialty is veggies of all sorts and the perfect broiled steak.
my REAL specialty is presentation.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
Master Chef

I get complimented on my salads every time I take one to a potluck. I like to make salads because they are easy and have many different flavor combinations. Also, they are great for lunch or dinner.

My other specialty is cakes and cookies. I bake chocolate chips cookies for the crews I work with in the woods. The cookies don't last very long with those guys.

I also like to make appetizers. If I get invited to a party I ask to bring appetizers. I live to make them because they are fun. I like to try different combination of ingredients.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

lol lugaru, i just remembered hearing your signature quote on a simpson's episode, the one with marge in a cooking contest.
great thread btw.

for me, it's different types of tomato sauces. regular ol' sugo di pomodoro, and then several variations on it. such as fra diavolo, sunday gravy, various fishes, various meats (meatballs, sausages, chicken, pork, veal, buffalo, etc.), all veggie (for dw), garlic/garlic/ and more garlic, and a few more.

i also make a coupla mean irish and italian style soups, and do a pretty good job with a real charcoal grill, or beside an open campfire. i prefer most grilled meats bleeding, and abhor burnt edges. dw likes most things overcooked (imo) and just the right amount of char, so i've learned a pretty wide range of how to grill.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I can flip omelettes like there's no tomorrow. But then, I do that at work, so practice makes perfect.

I also have a handful of soups that I can really do good on, like Clam Chowder, Chicken Tortilla, Chicken and Rice/Noodles, Gumbo, etc.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I make a killer bbq sauce
and
my clam chowder is to die for.
My Beefy French onion soup is another
thing people request time after time.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I am known for some pasta dishes. They are from a cookbook, but I seem to be the only one around here that bothers to make something that ambituous.

I think I am mainly known for experimenting and trying something new.

Pam
Old 03-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #10
DC Grandma

All of these do sound good but are they posted? Would you care to share?
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote