"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Head Chef
I knew a couple who would starve for 3 days before going to an "all you can eat" brunch meal so they would get their money's worth! I don't think that's a good idea. I'd agree with those who eat lightly that day (exactly so your body doesn't go into starvation mode) and if I really pigged out I'd moderate my eating for the next day or so. Oh...and a little exercise wouldn't hurt! (Shame on me! I said the e-word!)

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I usually would be having that BIG meal at lunch but still need to have my medications with food for brekky so I would have something small and light but substantial enough that my tablets are happy! The other meal of the day would probably be something like a cup-a-soup with a slice of bread, or just some fruit.

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #13
Senior Cook
I'm making a big turkey dinner Sunday for Dh's late b-day dinner and I know I'll just be snacking during the day like cheese and crackers or such. I like to keep it light so I can enjoy as much of the big meal as possible without going overboard and feeling stuffed.

homecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Master Chef
I'm with the camp of folk who believe I do better if I eat just slightly less than normal throughout the day. Luckily, in this country, doggie bags are quite acceptable. So I never feel bad if I over-order and eat it for lunch or dinner the next day. When I was younger I used to not eat in anticipation, but found that I wasn't enjoying the meal as much as if I ate a slightly smaller portion all day. One thing that is becoming a difficulty as I get older (I'm 53) is that I don't really enjoy an appetizer AND a meal. Seriously, if someone orders a bloomin' onion or something similarly hearty, I'm through with supper or I have to have two bites or supper isn't worth bothering with.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
Executive Chef
It's like starving all day for Thanksgiving it does not work you need to eat something during the day.If I am anticipating a great meal I cut back if I'm cooking a great meal forget it it when it's ready I do not want it at all . But the next day I will eat it for lunch and be quite happy. If someone else is cooking a great meal I will eat with gusto it's something about someone else cooking a good meal makes me more likely to want to eat than if I made it.

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote