Sobering thought dinner 29/10/2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CG, I was just being a crap disturber. There was a dust up a while ago about people saying they couldn't afford to grocery shop and it was cheaper to feed their family McD's etc. There is some truth to that unfortunately. In many cases, it's a LOT cheaper to feed folks crap than it is to buy produce and other healthy alternatives.

Believe it or not, there are loads of people who rarely go into a grocery store. Instead, their every food need is a fast food purchase. Those folks are not at the poverty line though. If I spent $5 for every coffee I drank I'd be broke in a week!

True facts Alix. On occasion I'll watch Rachel Ray. Depends on what's on her show. Yesterday (Wed, 10-30) one segment was about a family food swap challenge. Two very different families of four spent what the other family usually spend per week. One family's budget is just over $60 a week! FWIW, they live in Chambersburg, PA - not an expensive part of the country. The other family averages close to $600 a week! I nearly had heart failure just watching what they threw in their cart. Needless to say, the high-spenders could not make it on $60+, but oddly enough the frugal family had a hard time going through $600 in that week. FWIW, the high spenders were quite a bit heavier than the frugal family. For $600 I could "adopt" a couple needy families in our town and provide meals for them and us every night.

If anyone wants to see the videos from this segment you can go to this link on Rachel Ray's website" Family Food Swap Challenge | Rachael Ray Show It's the first of three segments. A real eye-opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom