"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #71
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
But you can't find a cure until we accept and deal with the causes and acknowledge our part in perpetuating the problem
please read my original reply to your post & point out one line in that reply that either says or implies that i neither accept nor acknowledge either the causes(some of which are popularist flim flam & smoke screen) or our part in the perpetuation of the problem.
look forward to your reply
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #72
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yep. Everyone says people should make more money until they themselves have to pay more because of it.
Agreed, BUT, most of theses large food producers are making insane profits, and can often afford to pay better AND sell the food at the same price. The problem is, that would put less profit in their pockets.

I'm all for profitable business. You'll often hear that "earnings are down for company X" like they are in trouble, but what they don't often mention, is that they are making record profits, all of these stories are crafted to "justify" raising the cost of their product.

On the flipside we have become addicted to cheap food (and other goods), we spend a far less percentage of our household earnings on it than we did just a generation ago. Something has to give.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #73
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Agreed, BUT, most of theses large food producers are making insane profits, and can often afford to pay better AND sell the food at the same price. The problem is, that would put less profit in their pockets.

I'm all for profitable business. You'll often hear that "earnings are down for company X" like they are in trouble, but what they don't often mention, is that they are making record profits, all of these stories are crafted to "justify" raising the cost of their product.

On the flipside we have become addicted to cheap food (and other goods), we spend a far less percentage of our household earnings on it than we did just a generation ago. Something has to give.
i agree that the overall profits,in some cases,billions of 's/$'s looks insane but,as i said in an earlier reply,due in part to loss leaders,net cost cash churning,multi buy promotions,shoplifting & wastage(that's another thorn in my side!)the industry average in the uk is only 4 to 5% net.it was the same when i worked for asda(part of wallmart) nealy 40 years ago.the mass retail food suppliers have always worked on tight margins but huge turnover makes their profits huge.there is little scope for further SUSTAINABLE price reduction,particularly when you factor in their commitment to current land banking to build more stores which in turn(in theory to some extent)should generate more jobs.i am not fighting the supermarkets cause,they have a lot to be ashamed of too,haven't we all?.just being realistic & not getting carried away on a wave of ill informed popularist hysteria fuelled by the "daily mail" brigade!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #74
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i agree that the overall profits,in some cases,billions of 's/$'s looks insane but,as i said in an earlier reply,due in part to loss leaders,net cost cash churning,multi buy promotions,shoplifting & wastage(that's another thorn in my side!)the industry average in the uk is only 4 to 5% net.it was the same when i worked for asda(part of wallmart) nealy 40 years ago.the mass retail food suppliers have always worked on tight margins but huge turnover makes their profits huge.there is little scope for further SUSTAINABLE price reduction,particularly when you factor in their commitment to current land banking to build more stores which in turn(in theory to some extent)should generate more jobs.i am not fighting the supermarkets cause,they have a lot to be ashamed of too,haven't we all?.just being realistic & not getting carried away on a wave of ill informed popularist hysteria fuelled by the "daily mail" brigade!
I work for a large regional food retailer, so I'm well aware of the profit margins and you are correct that they can be tight! We do have food chains here like Publix that pay a better wage, they grow their company slowly and carefully, and have an almost cult like following. Compare that to the other food retailers in our area that build stores on top of stores, all working to squeeze out a profit. I drive 5 miles to work, and drive past 3 of my own company's stores! In a 40 mile radius my company has 67 stores. Our competition also has many many redundant stores.

My point in my previous reply more pertained to food manufacturers and fast food.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #75
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I work for a large regional food retailer, so I'm well aware of the profit margins and you are correct that they can be tight! We do have food chains here like Publix that pay a better wage, they grow their company slowly and carefully, and have an almost cult like following. Compare that to the other food retailers in our area that build stores on top of stores, all working to squeeze out a profit. I drive 5 miles to work, and drive past 3 of my own company's stores! In a 40 mile radius my company has 67 stores. Our competition also has many many redundant stores.

My point in my previous reply more pertained to food manufacturers and fast food.
agree completely on the food manufacturers & fast food chains bakie,but that is an insanely competitive market too,no excuse but true nevertheless.
when we used to visit nico in miami,he was on sw 97th ter,there was a publix store within walking distance.brilliant stores and,putting my retailers hat back on,happy & helpful staff...always a sign of a good employer & guaranteed to draw shoppers to the stores.similar set up to our co-op(cooperative)stores this side of the pond.
as far as the ant hills of supermarkets you're right mate,tesco have three stores within a 4 mile radius of my home.but you know as well as i do,bakie that is as much about strategic blocking of the competition,to prevent them from building & stealing market share,as providing a shopping venue.totally insane in my view & i'm pleased to see that tesco has written off billions of 's in last years results,due to cancellation of projected store build & therefore land bank values on it's balance sheet.so,it would appear,change however slow,is taking place.hope so mate!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #76
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Try applying your argument to child labour, slavery, capital punishment for trivial offences
only trivial offences?do you believe in capital punishment for non trivial offences?
just asking
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #77
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
agree completely on the food manufacturers & fast food chains bakie,but that is an insanely competitive market too,no excuse but true nevertheless.
when we used to visit nico in miami,he was on sw 97th ter,there was a publix store within walking distance.brilliant stores and,putting my retailers hat back on,happy & helpful staff...always a sign of a good employer & guaranteed to draw shoppers to the stores.similar set up to our co-op(cooperative)stores this side of the pond.
as far as the ant hills of supermarkets you're right mate,tesco have three stores within a 4 mile radius of my home.but you know as well as i do,bakie that is as much about strategic blocking of the competition,to prevent them from building & stealing market share,as providing a shopping venue.totally insane in my view & i'm pleased to see that tesco has written off billions of 's in last years results,due to cancellation of projected store build & therefore land bank values on it's balance sheet.so,it would appear,change however slow,is taking place.hope so mate!!
Yes!

Grocery store building seems to have finally slowed here as well, partly because they have just about reached a saturation point, and partly that they are realizing that they need to focus on the quality ofv their existing stores, because with such fierce competition, your stores better be right or the customers are going somewhere else. Gone are the days where people are loyal to one store, they are going where the price and service are right.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #78
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Yes!

Grocery store building seems to have finally slowed here as well, partly because they have just about reached a saturation point, and partly that they are realizing that they need to focus on the quality ofv their existing stores, because with such fierce competition, your stores better be right or the customers are going somewhere else. Gone are the days where people are loyal to one store, they are going where the price and service are right.
absolutely!! or,because they are so close packed the shoppers are going from store to store,wherever the price comparison sites say a particular item is cheapest,buying that item & not buying the higher margin goods before moving on to the next store,which drives the bottom line down even further.... so in some respects the fallout of saturation building does benefit shoppers on the price line.sounds like we're on the same page bakie,but way off topic!!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #79
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
And lets not even get into the obesity issue...folks eating too much fast food because its cheaper than buying "real" food at the grocery store...*runs and hides*
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #80
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
You can spend excessive money on junkie foods at the grocery stores too Alix. When I shop I like to look in other people's carts since many different people shop my usual store. You can almost tell national heritage by what is in the cart. Seems that Asians like lots of veggies, some lean protein, and a bit of starch like rice and noodles. Hispanics load up on different produce, flavorful meats, all kinds of beans, and the flour/corn based foods to complete their meals. Americans? Gak! More convenience foods in most carts for their week than I buy in a year! And would a fresh apple or a bunch of kale kill them? Does no one EXCEPT those of us on DC cook from scratch anymore? Meanwhile, I load up on fresh produce, lean meats, and bacon , and whole grains. I'll buy processed foods once in a while but they are for shortcuts, not the entire meal. My carts look pretty much un-American.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.