Sobering thought dinner 29/10/2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we could just bring this back to the subject .....

Well done Harry on your work at the food bank! where would we be without people giving their own time to help others .

katycooks - while you are looking for work have you considered voluntary work ? You can put your experience on a cv and it can often lead to paid work ? Good luck !

I have been doing voluntary work with St Michael's Hospice charity since January GQ. I picked that charity because they took such good care of my mother in her final few days. I'm not looking for work now, because I start my new job tomorrow.

As for today's dinner, I threw together a chicken, bacon and mushroom pasta dish which came out very well for a store-cupboard raid. :)

I have been doing voluntary work with St Michael's Hospice charity since January GQ. I picked that charity because they took such good care of my mother in her final few days. I'm not looking for work now, because I start my new job tomorrow.

As for today's dinner, I threw together a chicken, bacon and mushroom pasta dish which came out very well for a store-cupboard raid. :)
good for you katers & good luck tomorrow with the new job:cool:!!
gq hasn't been on site for a while so probably didn't know about your good news on the job front.dinner sounds good too:chef:!

And just to make sure Harry's in his happy place, the ESPN on-line sports network is displaying UK socccer games right now. Hope you're getting it on the teevee. I can only read the play by play for free.

14' Offside called on Javier Hernández
Manchester United 0-0 Norwich City 14'
bloody marvellous whiska,you've got it over your side of the pond...i only live 6 miles from old trafford,have got sky,and can't find it anywhere...bleedin' liberty or wot?!!!

Dinner here tonight is chicken lettuce wraps. I'll use up the sesame sauce with those and we'll have lots of yummies. I think I'll need to do a starch to go with so I'll ask the girls whether I should do mac and cheese or if they want to stay light and have quinoa.

Chicken is in the oven sitting on some peeled whole young carrots acting as a trivet and the chix juices can baste them. Potatoes peeled and waiting their turn to cook.

Manchester United wins 4-zip. I 'd a put this part over in the tailgating/ sports thread but I'm not sure it gets read too much mid week.

Twiddling thumbs and about an hour to go. Open the Halloween candy bought two days ahead. What was I thinking !?!

I made a salad I can eat at my computer desk while I type. Find some music to turn up the volume with. I think I should move the bags of candy out to the garage or at least out of arm's reach. Thinking about it but not putting my shoes on. yet...

We have lots of leftovers, so that will be dinner :) Probably will heat up the lasagna from Friday and some sauteéd vegetables. I'll have to see if I have bread in the freezer for garlic bread.

Ginger Garlic chicken tenders grill on the Kamodo Joe. Green beans and mashed taters on the side.

Ginger Garlic marinade...

2 TB garlic ginger paste (from the indian market)
2 TB Soy Sauce
2 TB White Wine
2 TB Honey
2 tsp vegetable oil

Whisk to form an emulsion and soak the chicken for 1/2 hour.

Attachments

• IMG_20131029_190147.jpg
    IMG_20131029_190147.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I have similar thoughts Harry. And this is the right thread to discuss this. I think along these lines somedays when it seems I have too much food, make too much, more than I can eat, and Know someone else is not eating right or even sleeping in a comforatable bed at night.

There was a recent newspaper article, a McDonald's Mgr brought in a stack of forms so all their employees who qualifiy, could sign up for Food Stamps. Like this was a good thing to be commended for helping employees. Well, no. How about paying employees a livable wage.

Well, there are many ways of giving. Whether it involves hiring your unemployed family members or friends to do repair work or painting that you could perform yourself, but they won't take an offer of assistance itself, or finding ways that most directly impact the people who are in need.

With all that said, I am making some chicken ( with plans for the leftovers later in the week.) More mash potatoes and gravy. I think I like gravy. Roasted carrots. I bought some pears today too.
Re companies not paying a decent living wage - A lot of the problem is at the feet of those of us who want cheap food, clothing etc., not necessarily because we can't afford to pay more but because we want what we consider to be a bargain. We are shocked at accounts of sweat shops in the third world, starvation wages paid to Polish and other eastern European temporary workers employed in agriculture in Britain and the attitude of companies like McDs and Walmart to their employees but fail to associate this with our own consumerism. If we want to feed our desire for strawberries at £1.99 a pound and jeans for £10.00 a pair someone has to pay the price and it isn't us, the customers.

Last edited:
Another lazy day for me. I opened two packages of Tasty Bite curries - channa massal (chickpeas) and Jaipur vegetables (navratan korma). We added some of PepperMaster's Stingin' Scorpion sauce and it was really, really yummy. Served over reheated brown basmati rice. Carlsberg accompanied our meal.

I better buy some more of those Tasty Bite curries. They are yummy (but practically no heat) and all natural (made with food, no artificial colours, flavours, thickeners, or preservatives).

Last edited:

All the best for tomorrow, Katy.

Chicken is in the oven sitting on some peeled whole young carrots acting as a trivet and the chix juices can baste them. Potatoes peeled and waiting their turn to cook.

Manchester United wins 4-zip. I 'd a put this part over in the tailgating/ sports thread but I'm not sure it gets read too much mid week.

Twiddling thumbs and about an hour to go. Open the Halloween candy bought two days ahead. What was I thinking !?!

I made a salad I can eat at my computer desk while I type. Find some music to turn up the volume with. I think I should move the bags of candy out to the garage or at least out of arm's reach. Thinking about it but not putting my shoes on. yet...

ooh, thanks for reminding me. I need to get some Halloween candy.
I never get any trick or treaters, but that's good :)

Breakfast for dinner.
Home fries; bacon; Canadian bacon, tomato, mushroom and cheddar omelet; toast; beer :ermm: Well, almost all breakfast food ;)

Attachments

• breakfast for dinner4.jpg
    breakfast for dinner4.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom