"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sobering thought dinner 29/10/2013

just got back from my shift at the local food bank.a sobering thought that in this great nation of ours we need them & worse still to have WORKING BRITS using them.some of the people in the queue were former clients of mine who hung their heads in needless embarrassment when they saw me.shame on you posh boys & girls in westminster,shame on you...YOU should hang YOUR heads in shame.this is not a curse peculiar to the uk,i know many countries are in the same boat,but i have got to know quite a lot of you on dc over the last couple of years.good decent folks imo.so please,wherever you call home & before we embark on the "excesses" of todays dinner,spare a thought for those who won't be eating tonight & do what you can.i know you will.thank you
harry

Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Executive Chef

i apologise if i have put a dampener on the evenings proceedings folks.just thought it was a good thread to catch as many eyes as possible

Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i apologise if i have put a dampener on the evenings proceedings folks.just thought it was a good thread to catch as many eyes as possible
You did nothing wrong! I like your thoughts for others. Our dinner this evening is going to be easy and meatless. Tortillas, beans and some enchiladas from Sunday we didn't cook. Some shredded cabbage as our salad with oranges and red onions in there to make it good for the little guys.
kades
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef

thanks kades!! dinner sounds good at your place!!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Executive Chef

thank you, harry, for a very timely reminder to us in these depressed times for our people. many of our homeless people in america are employed, and with families. joblessness is still a serious problem, and there are more people and families than ever before who are relying on food banks for the first time in their lives. and food bamks are struggling to keep up with the ever increasing food demands. now that winter is on its way, our food donations are more needed than ever. thank you for the friendly nudge, harry....
Old 10-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thank you, harry, for a very timely reminder to us in these depressed times for our people. many of our homeless people in america are employed, and with families. joblessness is still a serious problem, and there are more people and families than ever before who are relying on food banks for the first time in their lives. and food bamks are struggling to keep up with the ever increasing food demands. now that winter is on its way, our food donations are more needed than ever. thank you for the friendly nudge, harry....
well said vitauta.thank you
Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Having been unemployed myself for the past year, (after having worked full time for the previous 29 years) you won't find me disagreeing with you Harry.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Having been unemployed myself for the past year, (after having worked full time for the previous 29 years) you won't find me disagreeing with you Harry.
thanks katy.29 years?,you don't look old enough hun
Old 10-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
thanks katy.29 years?,you don't look old enough hun
Well trust me I am! But thanks for the kind words! (After 100% failure to even get an interview over the past year, I was certainly starting to feel very old and unwanted!)

Imagine how much worse it would be to actually have a job and still not be able to feed yourself or your family though?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Well trust me I am! But thanks for the kind words! (After 100% failure to even get an interview over the past year, I was certainly starting to feel very old and unwanted!)

Imagine how much worse it would be to actually have a job and still not be able to feed yourself or your family though?
i know.i have to say i shed a few tears when i was typing my opening to the thread.

Tags
dinner