Sobering thought dinner 29/10/2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
just got back from my shift at the local food bank.a sobering thought that in this great nation of ours we need them & worse still to have WORKING BRITS using them.some of the people in the queue were former clients of mine who hung their heads in needless embarrassment when they saw me.shame on you posh boys & girls in westminster,shame on you...YOU should hang YOUR heads in shame.this is not a curse peculiar to the uk,i know many countries are in the same boat,but i have got to know quite a lot of you on dc over the last couple of years.good decent folks imo.so please,wherever you call home & before we embark on the "excesses" of todays dinner,spare a thought for those who won't be eating tonight & do what you can.i know you will.thank you
harry

i apologise if i have put a dampener on the evenings proceedings folks.just thought it was a good thread to catch as many eyes as possible

i apologise if i have put a dampener on the evenings proceedings folks.just thought it was a good thread to catch as many eyes as possible
You did nothing wrong! I like your thoughts for others. Our dinner this evening is going to be easy and meatless. Tortillas, beans and some enchiladas from Sunday we didn't cook. Some shredded cabbage as our salad with oranges and red onions in there to make it good for the little guys.
kades

thank you, harry, for a very timely reminder to us in these depressed times for our people. many of our homeless people in america are employed, and with families. joblessness is still a serious problem, and there are more people and families than ever before who are relying on food banks for the first time in their lives. and food bamks are struggling to keep up with the ever increasing food demands. now that winter is on its way, our food donations are more needed than ever. thank you for the friendly nudge, harry....

thank you, harry, for a very timely reminder to us in these depressed times for our people. many of our homeless people in america are employed, and with families. joblessness is still a serious problem, and there are more people and families than ever before who are relying on food banks for the first time in their lives. and food bamks are struggling to keep up with the ever increasing food demands. now that winter is on its way, our food donations are more needed than ever. thank you for the friendly nudge, harry....
well said vitauta.thank you:)

Having been unemployed myself for the past year, (after having worked full time for the previous 29 years) you won't find me disagreeing with you Harry.

thanks katy.29 years?,you don't look old enough hun:)

Well trust me I am! :LOL: But thanks for the kind words! (After 100% failure to even get an interview over the past year, I was certainly starting to feel very old and unwanted!)

Imagine how much worse it would be to actually have a job and still not be able to feed yourself or your family though?

Well trust me I am! :LOL: But thanks for the kind words! (After 100% failure to even get an interview over the past year, I was certainly starting to feel very old and unwanted!)

Imagine how much worse it would be to actually have a job and still not be able to feed yourself or your family though?
i know.i have to say i shed a few tears when i was typing my opening to the thread.

I have similar thoughts Harry. And this is the right thread to discuss this. I think along these lines somedays when it seems I have too much food, make too much, more than I can eat, and Know someone else is not eating right or even sleeping in a comforatable bed at night.

There was a recent newspaper article, a McDonald's Mgr brought in a stack of forms so all their employees who qualifiy, could sign up for Food Stamps. Like this was a good thing to be commended for helping employees. Well, no. How about paying employees a livable wage.

Well, there are many ways of giving. Whether it involves hiring your unemployed family members or friends to do repair work or painting that you could perform yourself, but they won't take an offer of assistance itself, or finding ways that most directly impact the people who are in need.

With all that said, I am making some chicken ( with plans for the leftovers later in the week.) More mash potatoes and gravy. I think I like gravy. Roasted carrots. I bought some pears today too.

Oh no. I am sorry. I shall take away of my inviting Carl for the dinner.

I shall not speak of dinner again.

I did not mean to offend.

With love,
~Cat

I have similar thoughts Harry. And this is the right thread to discuss this. I think along these lines somedays when it seems I have too much food, make too much, more than I can eat, and Know someone else is not eating right or even sleeping in a comforatable bed at night.

There was a recent newspaper article, a McDonald's Mgr brought in a stack of forms so all their employees who qualifiy, could sign up for Food Stamps. Like this was a good thing to be commended for helping employees. Well, no. How about paying employees a livable wage.

Well, there are many ways of giving. Whether it involves hiring your unemployed family members or friends to do repair work or painting that you could perform yourself, but they won't take an offer of assistance itself, or finding ways that most directly impact the people who are in need.

With all that said, I am making some chicken ( with plans for the leftovers later in the week.) More mash potatoes and gravy. I think I like gravy. Roasted carrots. I bought some pears today too.
spot on whiska,you're right,it only takes a moment to reflect,the tiniest adjustment,the most(you may think)inconsequential action to make a huge difference to some unfortunate persons life.thanks mate:)!!

With love,
~Cat

Cat, this was not meant for you personally and you have not offended anyone. It's just a wish that we all reflect on how lucky we are that in general we don't have to worry about where our next meal will come from.

Please tell us, in the other thread, what you are planning for your dinner with Carl :)

With love,
~Cat
no,no,no cat.you MUST keep to your plans!!those who remain happy & healthy are in the best place to help others.so get on the phone & ask him over....NOW:)!!

If we could just bring this back to the subject .....

Well done Harry on your work at the food bank! where would we be without people giving their own time to help others .

katycooks - while you are looking for work have you considered voluntary work ? You can put your experience on a cv and it can often lead to paid work ? Good luck !

time to lighten the mood methinks,fellow gastronauts....."look out",i hear you say,"he's off again"....well.....yes!!after all the chat about crispy skin,pork cracklin' & the like on guilty pleasures i thought harry(that's not me real name by the way:ermm:)time for a rotiss chook & salad.off i toddle to marks & spencers who,imho,sell the best "non speciality"chicken going...the northern irish "oakham" chicken...lean,mean & full of flavour.at £4/$6 for a bird weighing in at over a kilo/2.2lbs,cheaper/better than my other fav retailer,tesco..huzzah!.i also found some north atlantic cold water prawns on yellow label & had some baby avocado's left over from the other night.so i just stuck a lemon quarter,some thyme & half a head of garlic up the said chooks bum,mashed a stock cube in some evoo & smeared that over the poor unfortunates skin,whacked her on the rotiss,made up a quick baby avo & prawn cocktail in home made marie rose sauce & a simple salad.so there you have it: rotiss chook with prawn cocktail & salad.macon villages blanc colder than a sky divers nostril

Attachments

• CHICKEN SALAD 001.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 001.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 126
  • CHICKEN SALAD 002.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 002.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 134
  • CHICKEN SALAD 004.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 004.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 129
  • CHICKEN SALAD 008.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 008.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 127
  • CHICKEN SALAD 009.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 009.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 141
  • CHICKEN SALAD 005.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 005.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 129
  • CHICKEN SALAD 006.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 006.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 148
  • CHICKEN SALAD 007.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 007.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 137
  • CHICKEN SALAD 010.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 010.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 138
  • CHICKEN SALAD 012.JPG
    CHICKEN SALAD 012.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 145
If we could just bring this back to the subject .....

Well done Harry on your work at the food bank! where would we be without people giving their own time to help others .

katycooks - while you are looking for work have you considered voluntary work ? You can put your experience on a cv and it can often lead to paid work ? Good luck !
thanks gravy,i happen to know that you have done your(probably more than)fair share in that direction too,respect hun:)!!

And just to make sure Harry's in his happy place, the ESPN on-line sports network is displaying UK socccer games right now. Hope you're getting it on the teevee. I can only read the play by play for free.

14' Offside called on Javier Hernández
Manchester United 0-0 Norwich City 14'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom