Some bad catered food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Fish

Senior Cook
I've been quite busy helping a friend with his wedding for quite sometime now, and it's finally over.:)
However, let me explain a little of what happened.

Weeks prior, my friend had called a few banquet halls and requested samples with prices (like normal) from these places. Well, what i didn't know he was saying is that he was having a chef accompany him (implying me) to test the foods as well.

Ok, to jump ahead (because we'd be here forever) the last place we had went to had pretty good main dishes. Selected was prime rib (although off bone to save costs, aprox. size would be three, seven rib roasts), stuffed chicken breasts, and stuffed shells, which after tasting, the gentleman turns to me and says, "I hear you are familiar with the kitchen....so, how long have you been in the business"? I darn well near choked, and figured what my friend must have said to them, so i only replied "a couple years, give or take 5 or 10".:mrgreen: Soon thereafter, we decided to go with them, and after the exchanging a few words with my friend, he now knows not to do that again. However, i did understand he wanted good food for his wedding, so i just asked if he wouldn't have me 'put on the spot' again because i'll give him honest answers anyway.

Ok, the reception.
Everything looked great, well presented, and organized and finally it was time to eat. I went straight to the rib with a creamy horseradish sauce, then got the rest.
Well, the prime rib did NOT what so ever taste, nor have a slight crust like the original and was dry, (it was held in a warming oven prior to arrival) the shells were somewhat dry and the chicken was about the only decent thing!
I confronted the hall manager with my friend, and was told "hmm, maybe your taste is different from the wine, because it tastes fine to me".
Now i'm severely angry, but everybody else has to eat, and have a good time for hours to come, so i told them....Ok, i am not drinking tonight, so that's out of the question, and furthermore i will not ruin any further what is supposed to be a great evening, so i will be here with the people who paid for this tomorrow morning, and want some reimbursement for them. Then the smart a$$ said we'll see!

I got a hold of the head waitress and asked for the head manager or owner to speak to, and promptly, i actually did! I explained my concern and soon there after with further investigation, we were the wrong party for that style of food!? Although, at least the appropriate people were refunded 60% of the total costs, but it sure as heck was a headache! And trust me when i say we weren't done complaining, but when we were told about the 60% refund, we quickly turned quiet (we were only looking for maybe 25-35%) because everything else and the sides were great.:cool:

Finlly, after the food was gone, we did have a good night and now my friend and his wife are off to europe!

I just thought i'd share that fiasco with y'all

I''m glad that you all kept your calm on such a special day. I'm also glad that you went above their head and got a refund!!

BBQ, it sounds like you guys did the right thing. :) I truly believe that if you voice dissatisfaction when it comes to food, the manager will always try to accomodate you and make you happy. Now the couple has a little extra spending $$ for the honeymoon!

This is why I hate the huge banquet hall conglomerates. They're mass producing food just like McDonalds'; who knows how many other parties they were doing the same food for, at the same time? Gives us all a bad rap, and makes me :angry: ; but I'm SO glad you spoke up. I'd also maybe write an editorial in the paper to ward off other unsuspecting souls.

You reminded me of my daughter's wedding reception. It was a small affair, with beef and ham sandwiches on rolls, salads, desserts, and of course the wedding cake. My uncle went back to the table, where there was plenty of food, to fix himself another sandwich, and the caterer told him that there wasn't enough! There was at least one whole ham sitting in the kitchen, in addition to what was sliced and on the table. The wedding cake was beautiful (not made by the caterers), and we were looking forward to the traditional cake cutting ceremony. Before that could happen, the caterer cut the cake up into pieces! Thankfully, there was enough left intact (I think my mom stopped her from cutting the whole thing up) that we were able to get a picture of them cutting the cake, but that really irked me!

:) Barbara

I'm glad you stood up for what you thought was right and I'm REALLY surprised about the refund - that was a pretty good show of customer relations!

I'm usually not the type of person that handles things on an irrational stance, but after finding out our tuxedo's didn't match as well:angry: , i certianly ready for this..............
firegunneravatar7mx.gif

But everything worked out for the best and i am very thankful!:angel:

GB's recent post Technique of using a honing steel just made remember another messed up thing at the reception.

Before the guy started cutting the prime rib, he began dragging his knife, up and across, down and around a honing steel, just flourishing his blade, i guess to draw attention, i don't know?
Then he puts down the steel and 'ALMOST' started cutting, when i stopped him and made him wipe off his blade! His initial reaction was, "i didn't drop it"!:rolleyes: So i grabbed a towel and took his knife right out of his hand (i think i scared him?:mrgreen: ), wiped it down and showed him the shavings from the blade!:censored: :furious:
I just thank God for the head waitress noticing me (the one that helped later as well), and came up to solve this problem!

Gosh...........i really never want to do this again!:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom