Souper Supper...Wed 1/17/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
My Dutch oven is simmering away with split pea soup. Along with the meaty ham bone I purchased at Honey Baked Ham store, there's grated onion/carrot/thin sliced celery with leaves and bay leaf. Starting to smell good here.
SC will make a box of Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix when it's souper supper time.

What's doin at your casa?

I'm going to spatchcock and roast a chicken for the first time. I've done it on the grill a few times, but not in the oven. Sweet potatoes and nuked broc.

I'm going to brown some thin sliced pork chops and introduce them to a pan of spiffed up baked beans and into a slow oven for awhile.

What I want to know is who bought really thin sliced pork chops and attempts to hide them in my freezer like they might take up less space or something. Maybe they shrunk.

Veggies are kind of sparse. I have carrots or corn. But for sure I am making corn bread muffins for dinner.

Last edited:
I've had black-eyed peas and a smoked turkey drum stick simmering on the back burner this afternoon. I'll fry up some bacon, use the drippings and broth to cook up collard greens, then introduce them to each other and let them cozy up together until the flavors meld. We have Italian bread to use up, so I guess it will be that for likker dunking. :yum:

Will be roasting a small pork loin soon...

I'll talk my daughter into making rice pilaf and I'll steam some veggies as sides....

Ross

I’ve been simmering a pot of tomato sauce since mid-afternoon. I roasted some pork neck bones and added them to the sauce for a richer flavor.

I made lime sour cream and pineapple-red pepper-cucumber salsa. I have fish thawed - I'm trying to decide whether I want to bread them or just season and flour them, to make fish tacos.

"Soupy" here, too. We've been snowed in for the better part of a week and I haven't been grocery shopping for over a week so...

Use what we have.

There was a hefty package of smoked turkey necks that hadn't made it to the freezer so I chucked that into a big pot, along with lots of chopped onion and minced garlic. I soaked a mess o'beans, etc. (black beans, great northern beans, navy beans, pinto beans, red beans, black-eye peas, green split peas, yellow split peas, lentils, baby limas, large limas, and barley) and added them to the pot, too. Put in a jar of home-canned tomatoes and some salt. Let the whole thing simmer all day.

Baked a couple of large baguettes earlier today so we could sop up and slather with butter.

Finished the last of the raspberry tart for dessert.

No question...we were full.

I'm happy with the way the chicken turned out. Prior to roasting I put the chicken in the fridge for an hour to let the skin dry. Convection roast at 400 F for 20 minutes, then convection roast at 350 F for another 25 minutes or so until it was done. The skin was nicely browned, and both the white and dark meat were at the right temperatures.

We didn't have soup per se, but we did use canned cream of mushroom soup, white wine, swiss cheese, and chicken to make a baked chicken dish over noodles.

I ate free all day. Free hotel breakfast, well, not counting the cost of the room. Yeah, it was mediocre, but it got the job done. It was slightly better than most complimentary hotel breakfasts, but not by a whole lot.

For a mid afternoon lunch/dinner, I was at a client's auction, and got a free meal of braised beef sliders, and a bag of chips. The sliders were quite good. Very tender, but just a little on the dry side. The dipping sauce that came with the sliders took care of dryness, and was also pretty tasty.

CD

Back
Top Bottom