Southern cooking night. March 11th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Okay, this is what I'm making. Hopefully, it's really southern:rolleyes:
I'm always doing the normal stuff, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, etc... here or at my family stuff, so, trying something different.

Deviled crab with shrimp and eggplant
Butternut squash souffle
Buttermilk cornbread
poached pears for dessert {this may change}
changed my dessert, not it's Peach Clafouti

Do you think I like veggies???:LOL:
actuall, there isn't much eggplant in the dish, only 1 small one.

Last edited:
I'm planning on making fried chicken. I've never made it before, any tips? Also, I have boneless chicken breasts in the freezer, will that work alright? Thinkin' about marinating in buttermilk...
Don't know what else, thinking about a cobbler for dessert.

We'll do ours on Friday night...

Chicken Brunswick stew
and Zucchini custard bake ... both recipes are from Paula Deen's book.

corazon, I haven't made it with boneless chicken, but, it sounds good.
As for regular chicken, there a million and one ways that people think is best and they are all good. I make mine the way my momma makes hers, except, I can't use the cast iron anymore on my glasstop.
IMO, frying chicken in a cast iron or heavy skillet with a lid, is the best way to get it cooked crisp and get the chicken done all the way to the bone. That is the hardest part, making sure it's done and not burn the crust. If you use a covered skillet, it doesn't have to be real high heat. As for the boneless, it would probably cook faster, and taste great. Let me know how it does.

I always do mine in the oven... it's easier and less messy and maybe just a little more healthy.

Need a recipe?

lol.... I'm in the dog house again. I shall go sit in the corner and think about the evil that I've brought into this world.... sigh.....

Miss Dot always called her dirty rice, Rice Dressing, but it was real Lousianna dirty rice with chicken livers et al. Gonna make her recipe, so good, plus Collards cooked with bacon and onion, tomatoes stewed with andouille sausage, and corn bread. What I also like about this great meal is that while meat is everywhere, it is the flavor and essence and small amounts. This is a vegetable heavy meal, and cheap!

I'll pull one from my grandmother's play book (one of my favorite meals):

Broiled country style pork ribs (just salt and pepper)
Collards with bacon (with plenty of Trappey's Peppers in Vinegar "sauce")
Mashed turnips (with plenty of butter)
Breaded stewed tomatoes (gotta' use up them leftover buttermilk biscuits)
Cornbread (with plenty of butter)

Nanny would have also served a chocolate meringue pie ... don't know if I'm going to get that ambitious or not. Although leftover pie is an excellent breakfast ....

Shoot, I hope I don't have to bail out on this one, like I did last week. It's snowing a blizzard outside and I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the store tomorrow. Everyone being sick doesn't help either. I will have to go pick dh up from work now because he took his motorcycle. If dh doesn't want to go to the store with me, who knows if I'll be able to pull this dinner off, unless I go in twice tomorrow...

If I do make it, I'm prepared to buy the stuff for fried chicken, buttermilk biscuits & peach/blackberry cobbler. Gotta get some veggies, probably asparagus since it's in season. Wish me luck!

LUCK!! It just started snowing here too Cora.
I'm on the way to the store now JUST IN CASE.

I'm not bailing this week.. but, I am going to do it tonight instead of Saturday. I was planning on Friday but... Paul has another dinner meeting and won't be home until after 10.

Here is what I made. Not fancy, I know. Clockwise from the top.
Deviled crab with shrimp and eggplant { DH doesn't like eggplant, so that was omitted:( }
Butternut Squash Gratin Mine doesn't look like their's, but, it was good!!
And Buttermilk biscuits.

The Deviled Crab was good!! I'm sure is wouldn't have been even better with the eggplant.
I'll make my dessert tonight as I didn't have time to make it last night. DS's car broke down and we had to tow it for him. i didn't get started on dinner until almost 6 and it was after 7 before we ate.

Attachments

• food.jpg
    food.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 257

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom