Spicy food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethelsimmons

Assistant Cook
Spicy food is my weakness. I know people who really hate them. But I love having a little of it in all my food. Out of all the spices, I love the taste of pepper. I use them in almost all my dishes. I like them being used in omelets. Omelets with and without pepper taste different. There are spices of different companies, out of which I prefer using that of Horton Spice Mills. I think they are less artificially flavored and they give the original taste of spices. So lets start the discussion. How many of you guys here like spicy food and out of all the spices which one do you like the most.

When you refer to pepper, is it black pepper or are you including chili peppers? I also like spicy food, be it Cajun, SW, Mexican, Thai, etc...

I just got a package of ghost peppers that my wife ordered for me. I'm now looking for something other than sauce/salsa to use them in.

The spicy foods we make use a combination of different spices to achieve the end dish. In a jambalaya the spice mix usually includes, black, white and cayenne pepper. I will use a combination of chilis when making a red sauce for enchiladas or tamales, which may include guajillo, ancho and chipotle peppers.

When you refer to pepper, is it black pepper or are you including chili peppers? I also like spicy food, be it Cajun, SW, Mexican, Thai, etc...

I just got a package of ghost peppers that my wife ordered for me. I'm now looking for something other than sauce/salsa to use them in.

Ghost peppers have a unique flavor that goes oh so well with umami flavors. Add them to a duxelle, or to a good beef stew. Throwing some chopped ghost pepper in with a pot of savory beans is a must. Add them to your next rice pilaf, or to a pot of veggie soup. They also work well with dishes like shredded beef and pulled pork. They are great when mixed into the meat used for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tamales, etc. Pulverize some in you blender and add to V8 juice, or tomato juice. If you're guests are brave, add them to a Virgin/Bloody Mary. Sprinkle the powder onto baked fish, or baked spuds. Dust a bit onto french fries. They would be a natural in hash recipes as well.

Truly, use the ghost peppers as a flavorful, but hot flavoring, as an herb. I love the flavor of ghost peppers, and use them frequently. I might even add a bit to mashed spuds one of these days, or add a bit to some French or Russian salad dressing. Be creative.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There are spices of different companies, out of which I prefer using that of Horton Spice Mills. I think they are less artificially flavored and they give the original taste of spices. .

But yesterday you said you had never tried Horton Spice Mills products before....

"My aunt mentioned about the Horton spice Mills. I've never tasted them. Has anyone tried them before."

Hmmmm.........

I don't believe I have ever encountered an artificially flavored spice, but I have encountered other artificial things!

Last edited:
Black pepper and peppers are two different animals. Pepper is a drupe, and a seed, both of which are used as a seasoning. Pepper is classified as a spice. If too much is used, it can create a bitter flavor in foods, or substantial heat. Some of the chemical compounds that give pepper it's taste can be found in smaller amounts in herbs, examples - basil, nasturtiums.

Peppers, on the other hand are fruits, but are usually thought of in culinary terms as vegetables. Used fresh, they add significant flavor, and depending on the pepper, heat. Dried peppers are usually ground into flakes or powder, and used as a seasoning. As We usually call them a spice, but that isn't accurate as they aren't comprised of seeds. Nor are they truly herbs as those come from leaves and stems. They are kind of their own thing. In this form, they are used in varying amounts to season foods.

Just as different peppers have different flavors, so to do different varieties of peppercorns. Get to know them, and they can really enhance your foods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I needed some ancho powder to make Mexican style chorizo. Couldn't find any at the grocery so this morning I toasted and ground some dried pods that I had stemmed, seeded and de-veined yesterday.

I do :) Biting into a piece of peppercorn, as opposed to eating finely ground pepper, gives me a hit of spice! And I don't find it pleasant.

I agree and it's not just big chunks. Ever had steak au poivre where the cook got a little heavy-handed with the black pepper? Whoosh!!:ohmy:

I agree and it's not just big chunks. Ever had steak au poivre where the cook got a little heavy-handed with the black pepper? Whoosh!! :ohmy:

If I see the word "spicy" on the menu, I go right past it. There are plenty of other seasoning that work just as well, if not even better. There are a lot of veggies that I really like the flavor of. Even meats. I love lamb. Don't spoil it with a heavy hand of seasoning. :angel:

Addie

I picked up some fresh green peppercorns a couple of weeks ago. They definitely are "hotter" than dried black peppercorns. I played with those when I made the African-inspired roasted veggies...also played with pickled green peppercorns and papaya seeds...all of which have a "peppery" flavor but not the flavor of hot peppers.

Back
Top Bottom