St Pats Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
What are you eating? How do you like your corned beef? I like mine piled high with a bit of yellow mustard on sourdough rye.

For me it's a new holiday (grew up in Mexico) but my roomie want's to do something so Im gonna crock pot it for 4 hours with potatoes, carrots, a whole head of cabbage choped into quarters... you know, the works. Then we are off to sevens (a really nice pub) for a guiness or 20.

Edit: although I prefer black and tan's... I think guiness in the us is overated, I've heard it's better in europe but what I've had here is so-so.

Wish I was in Chicago tomorrow. They dye the river green. St. Paddy's Day in Chicago is like Fat Tuesday in New Orleans. Parade and everything.

I plan to be drinking Guiness by 9:31am as soon as I see one of my fellow college inhabitants returning from class. I didn't expect to be eating an actual food breakfast today, but I woke up much much earlier than expected.

mudbug said:
Wish I was in Chicago tomorrow. They dye the river green. St. Paddy's Day in Chicago is like Fat Tuesday in New Orleans. Parade and everything.

I don't remember if they've already dyed the river, but they had the parades this past weekend. Don't ask me why. I'm sure tomorrow will still be a heckuva time downtown though.

BC

Lugaru - I sent you a PM about your corned beef - the cooking times needs to be drastically longer - PM me if you need exact details.

I've got to work. We have two catered functions, and the weekly "Family-Style" service that this week, is, of course, Corned Beef, Cabbage, Red Potatoes, etc. I'll probably get some corned beef at work, if not tomorrow, then definitely Friday.

I like corned beef just about any way I can get it. I'll take it sliced, hot, on a plate, with the potatoes, but you can keep the cabbage (bleck!). Gimme a good Rueben, piled high with about 8 oz of corned beef any day!

kitchenelf said:
Lugaru - I sent you a PM about your corned beef - the cooking times needs to be drastically longer - PM me if you need exact details.

I checked my pm's, thank's for the info! I figured I was gonna go for something sliceble but your right, that would be major underkill. I'll drop a line reporting my results!

:)

I like my corned beef with mustard or horseradish. We had our St. Paddy's Day celebration last week at work. Everyone had other things going on tomorrow. We served 30 lbs. corned beef, red potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and bread.

Lugaru said:
Edit: although I prefer black and tan's... I think guiness in the us is overated, I've heard it's better in europe but what I've had here is so-so.
guiness in the us does suck for the most part, but there are several places in nyc and boston that come close.
that said, a guiness in dublin has no comparison. fresh, clean, and strangely light come to mind. i wouldn't have thought of guiness as light and refreshing.
just remember to watch your p's and q's, it sneaks up on you if your sitting down...

We had our "St. Patricks" meal last week. Just boiled the beef and onions and added a side of cabbage. Yummy!

What else today but Corned beef brisket, but I roast in the oven, then making colcannon with kale and onions and butter, Irish soda bread and a big salad (green stuff).

Tomorrow I am looking forward to corned a beef sandwich with horseraddish-mustard mayo on the soda bread. Hey this is awful, forgot to buy beer.

Galena has the very best St Pat's as far as I'm concerned. The first year we were here, we got "adopted" by the local Murphy clan. We meet at a neighborhood (yes, Iris) pub, ride or march in the parade with them, singing, thowing candy, etc. We grab something to eat after the parade, not thinking much about food, then bar-hop, meeting freinds at several thirst parlors around town, then walk home (ok, maybe stagger) and collapse. Sometime in the days before or after I make the corned beef & cabbage (potatoes, onions, carrots, and extra spices besides what they put in the packet). Hubby doesn't care for it much, so I eat it, but make a huge meal of reubens, then take the boiling water from the boiled dinner, strain it, and chop the meat and veggies in it to make a spicy soup that he loves as well, which goes into the freezer. Yummmyummm.

i had roast beef and gravy, a half a parslied red potato, juice, and some sort of jell-o dessert w/ blueberries and pineapple in it. hospital food.
and i like my corned beef on rye w/ mustard and horseradish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom