"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-18-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Standing in the supermarket...

...with nothing but a blank slate, surrounded by fresh produce, premium fresh-butchered meats, fruits and grains to die for...

I find myself in Fresh Market about twice a pay period with nothing resembling a shopping list, planning a 3-4 course meal off of the top of my head, wandering from aisle to aisle thinking, "DUDE, that spice would kick a veal marsala out of this world! Ok, veal cutlets and what else? I need a starch, some veggies and a dessert..."

Does anyone else do this, or am I alone in this strange habit? I find I can only afford to do it once or twice a paycheck, as I tend to spend around $50 total when you add in the wine for the meal. This is completely aside from the trips (about once a week) to pick up fresh veal bones from their butchers' department for veal stock. I go in there so often they know me by name. ;)

Old 10-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #2

LOL.. I buy a lot of general things when I go shopping that can be used in a lot of different meals.. but keep in mind..I'm on my own.. so, my shopping will differ from yours. I end up going in for one thing to make a certain recipe and come out with 15. So, I know how you feel, Weeks! :D

One place I like is this little italian deli, they also have a nice plant/flower nursery........that is very popular in the spring, summer. I buy a lot of my cheeses and meats from there.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Heh, I tend to plan meals for 2, myself and my girlfriend, and I end up thinking like 4 meals ahead. So much to attempt, so little money. ;)
Old 10-18-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

Weeks, while I usually loose a small fortune shopping without something of a list, this is a lot of fun. Not something to do when you're pressed for time, though.

There are a couple of stores in DFW called "Central Market" that are absolutely LOADED with every imagineable food, wine and spice known to mankind. Their fish counter alone is probably about 50 feet long! I can get lost in these places for days...
Old 10-18-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, but so much imagination, Weeks! good for you!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I tend to shop day to day. I will figure out what I want to make for dinner while I am at work and then stop at the store on the ride home. I do occasionally see something while I am in the store and that will give me ideas of things to try, but usually I have a list and stick pretty close to it.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I also have a "bad" habit, learned from my bachelor and college years, of standing in front of the pantry and devising wild combinations of tastes and flavors in my head using the stuff I have on hand. Some examples: Kraft Macaroni & Cheese + Hormel Chili + Pace Picante Sauce = spicy cheesy-chili dinner. The bizzare stuff never ceased.

Now that I have a source of fresh produce and meats nearby, I'm like a kid lost in a candystore everytime I go in there. First stop? Butchery department for some entree ideas. Then it's on to collect spices and veggies and think about the second course.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

If I don't keep to the list, I end up spending waay more money. Handy Husband used to do all the shopping on Sunday mornings, but I took over because he would end up buying the same things over and over, plus a lot of sugary cereals for him and the kid, and none of those little extras a cook likes to keep handy, such as green onions or lemons.

The new Safeway is a mere 5 minutes away now, so I tend to go more often and buy fewer things per trip. Unfortunately, we don't have any of those wonderful places you all have been describing (Whole Foods, TJs, etc.) within a reasonable driving distance, so I don't patronize them. I figure it challenges my creativity to work with what's readily at hand (there - that sounds better than lazy, doesn't it?)
Old 10-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
I also have a "bad" habit, learned from my bachelor and college years, of standing in front of the pantry and devising wild combinations of tastes and flavors in my head using the stuff I have on hand. Some examples: Kraft Macaroni & Cheese + Hormel Chili + Pace Picante Sauce = spicy cheesy-chili dinner. The bizzare stuff never ceased.

Now that I have a source of fresh produce and meats nearby, I'm like a kid lost in a candystore everytime I go in there. First stop? Butchery department for some entree ideas. Then it's on to collect spices and veggies and think about the second course.
I have used Hormel Chili for "quick throw-together" nachos... I totally hear ya!
Old 10-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #10

I generally take the time to plan and make detailed lists of what I will buy. Then, I buy what is on the list, and if there is a good bargain in the store.....get that too! :(